Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • Can your body be too old for hardtails?
  • rOcKeTdOg

Binned my FS, fully rigid HT now

wors

Maybe you should try another make of frame, oh hang on…….

wwaswas

Are you sure it’s not the forks?

binners

You ride technical stuff sat down? I think I may have found the root of your problem.

hora
    Free Member

If you sat down whilst going through technical stuff you’d be kicked over the bars.

No stood up and even my arms suffer. I had a hard paper round so a FS is damage limitation..

binners

What on earth are you blathering on about then?

GO and buy yet another full suss then and stop moaning. How about a Blur 4X? Have you ever had one of those? Oh yeah…. about 6 of them

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I agree with Klunk, if the saddle is hitting your arse then your riding style is all wrong, probably not adjusted it from FS riding. Your probably not picking a line and there’s the obvious sizing issue.

druidh
    Free Member

Can your body be too old for hardtails?

No

Am I a clueless woose in search of a reason to once again change bike?

Yes

andyl
    Free Member

did you write the latest C456 Bikeradar review? 😉

BigJohn

I’ve been riding a full sus for the last few months because my Soul developed a crack which took a while to get welded, powdercoated and put back together.

But I took the Soul to Long Mynd last week for a 7 hour blast, then have been on Cannock Chase a couple of times since with it (after re-converting it to singlespeed.

Apart from my mistake of using a roadie saddle (because it looks prettier than my old WTB) I’m glad to be back.

59 in June.

IHN

I experienced the same on a 18″ 456 was that also too small

If you’re 6’2″, then probably, yeah. I’m 6’1″ and had an 18″ 456. Always had a sneaky suspicion it was too small as I always felt a bit over the front of it. A week in the Italian Alps decided it for me. I’m now on a 20″ 456 and now get that near-mythical feel of being ‘in’ the bike rather than ‘on’ it.

16″? Behave.

druidh
    Free Member

It would be so much easier if the folk who designed these frames gave some indication of the size of frame a rider should buy based on their height.

ton

Hora, seriously if you are riding a 16”456 it is way too small for you.
    you are the same height as me and i ride a 20” with plenty of post out.

IHN

It would be so much easier if the folk who designed these frames gave some indication of the size of frame a rider should buy based on their height.

It would, wouldn’t it.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO456/on_one_456_steel_hardtail_frame_2011#Sizingguide

Jamie
    Free Member

Hora could have a bike custom made for him, and there would still be issues.

binners

is it sinking in yet?

hora
    Free Member

I hear em bitchin’..

Years ago I got on well with my Rocky Mountain Vertex and then Santa Cruz Chameleons’ then on a revisit I started picking up niggling pains, injuries etc. I never have any of this riding a full sus. Its just not for me anymore.

As for the ‘look at the sizing guides’. Rioght. Furry muff’ but shouldn’t you also ride the frame that feels most comfortable to how you like your bikes? 🙄

Soul on Long Mynd? Long Mynd was designed for the Soul! 8)

binners

shouldn’t you also ride the frame that feels most comfortable to how you like your bikes?

Not if the way you ‘like your bikes’ is two sizes too small. Think of applying the same concept to underwear

druidh
    Free Member

hora – Member
    shouldn’t you also ride the frame that feels most comfortable to how you like your bikes?

Well – is it comfortable or isn’t it?

BigJohn

Long Mynd was designed for the Soul!

True. It was them rocks at the top of Stiperstones on our little detour that beat me up.

br
    Free Member

Should one buy a gate and not enjoy anything vaguely technical?

Hora

I’m the same height/build as you, here’s my old gate/20″ 456 – seems plenty of seatpost showing.

hora
    Free Member

Yes it felt right but on the same descent I didnt feel the slightest bit weary or tired if I’m on a full sus. On the hardtail its a different story.

tops5
    Free Member

I went back to HT a few months ago after years of FS only (at least 7) It beat my back up for the 1st 2-3 rides but soon adjusted.

Had a play in Delamere at the weekend which involved quite a few drops (took HT instead of FS) – really felt it in my neck afterwards but again think I just need to adjust. (42 in July and riding FS less and less)

rossi46
    Free Member

I was forced to stop riding my Intense Spider after the bearings ate themselves, so while im waiting for new bearings to be made i had to ‘modify’ my Santa Cruz Chameleon back to XC.
    Yesus! I couldnt have chosen a worse bike- stiffer than a …. very stiff thing 😯 .
    Good acceleration though, but over rough ground be prepared to get chucked all over the place. I didnt have this problem when i was chucking it over jumps, but then dirt jumps are generally smooth 😆
    Now i yearn for the ’96 Cinder Cone that i shamefully sold to get my original Chameleon. Steel is real and i dont recall having these problems on a steely hardtail.
    Mind you that was 15 years ago!

soobalias
    Free Member

my oldest HT riding buddy is 59

im only 6’0″ and ive never fitted anything under 18″/M frame,

seems you have fallen for the internerd hype that anything above a medium is a ‘gate’
    so buy a full susser that looks nice.

druidh
    Free Member

And elves.

Don’t forget the elves

soobalias
    Free Member

sry druidh, edited to stop me getting another email slap from the slap happy mods.

tops5
    Free Member

Now i yearn for the ’96 Cinder Cone

Lol don’t recall having any problems with my GT Timberline (steel/rigid) or Zaskar (Alu/HT crap forks) before the days of full suss – we have been spoilt and become softies 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

soobalias – Member
    sry druidh, edited to stop me getting another email slap from the slap happy mods.

😆

hora
    Free Member

b r – I’ve got a monkey build. I wouldn’t get comfortable leg extension on your bike!

Yes, I am also worried about future back problems. At the end of the day, I’ve tried different sizes but I’ve never felt beat up on a full suss.

Listening to my body I think I’ll go with the route that lessens or increases the chances of future back or knee issues. Hopefully we’ll all be riding when we are 60 still.

binners

You’re worried about future back problems, yet you’re riding a frame that’s miles too small for you? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Do you think there could be any connection between these two things? You really aren’t very bright are you Baldrick?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora – to put it bluntly, are you a shite rider? You seem quite fat, do you have any core strength to support your mass?
    How do you think that you get used to a bike? get riding it for more than 1 ride!

wwaswas

You seem quite fat

😯

I think binners gets away with this stuff ‘cos a) he knows hora and b) we all know he’s not *that* serious and c) he’s quite funny.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the pictures back it up as does his facebook profile

hora
    Free Member

Another alarming thing (for me) is the pain in my hands when I ride a hardtail.

wwaswas

that will be the fork.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I love these threads 😆

IHN

That’ll be because, wait for it, your frame’s too small. Your weight is right over the front of the bike and a lot of it being supported by your hands. On a larger frame a greater proportion will be supported by your arse. I speaketh from experience here young grasshopper.

binners

OI!! Planet-head!!! My forehead is bleeding now, as I’ve just repeatedly headbutted my keyboard

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ? Albert Einstein

bigsi
    Free Member

Hora you can be such a bellend some times 🙄 😆

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Can your body be too old for hardtails?’ is closed to new replies.