Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Can you track yourself with a dog tracker?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

As nobody took a bait in FGF asking here.

https://tractive.com/en/pd/gps-tracker-dog

Did anybody tried to use it as a personal tracker? Actual, dedicated, sport devices looks to be a bit on a steep side of purchase.
    True, they are having much more functionality, but what if I’m just after tracking, that someone can check and if it is looking I’m not moving for some time in rather odd location can rise alarm?

Cheers!
    I.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure. Are you a good boy? That might help.

But seriously, can’t a smartphone do what you’re asking?

onehundredthidiot

As above depends a phone does this assuming you have signal.
    I have specialized angi which does this but is stymied by losing signal because there is none in the hills behind my house.

No signal then it should do it.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

yes. I also hide one in my bike in case the local scroats decide me to relieve me of it mid-ride.

The tractive one roams across networks so in practice works pretty much everywhere.

Sui
    Free Member

Im sure someone here (may have been a <cough> running forum <cough> but the aruacy of the dog gps’ wasn’t all that, so for straavvvaaaaa users probably not worth it. Surprised Garmin hasn’t realised a sim version of any of their units..?

Also, can you just buy a sim (only) that freely roams across networks??

drnosh
    Free Member

Look. I have seen some bright ideas on this forum, but this one really takes the biscuit.

thebibbles

I’ve been using the Vodafone curve as a tracker for the last month or so to track my daughter who has started walking to school on her own but isn’t old enough to have a phone. Seems good and reasonably priced so I’ve just ordered another to use on the bike if I stop anywhere on the ride and someone takes a fancy to the bike.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Look. I have seen some bright ideas on this forum, but this one really takes the biscuit.

Yeah, very smartbackside remark :p

Probably I wasn’t explicit enough. GPS tracker, not reliant on GSM signal, that can be hit and miss if non existent in the deep stick. That was the idea.

I’ve been using the Vodafone curve as a tracker

That looks promising. Might pester you in a little while for review and experience.

Cheers!
    I.

savoyad

GPS tracker, not reliant on GSM signal

eh? They aren’t magic. if you want someone to be able to check your progress, you have to rely on a mobile signal to communicate that info to them don’t you?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Just read description of Curve device and looks like that one also relies on GSM signal…
    Bummer…

eh?

Likes of Spot tracking device relies on GPS coverage and if you are out of GSM signal you can be tracked by your loved ones. So that kind of magic…

I.

honourablegeorge

They’ll all need GPS to figure out where they are, but will need a mobile signal to tell you about it

rossburton
    Free Member

If you want someone else to monitor the tracker in realtime and be usable where there’s no mobile reception you’re into the realm of GPS trackers using satellite communications like the Spot Tracker mentioned above:

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services/spot-trace

$99 for the tracker and then $9/month for the connection.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Also, can you just buy a sim (only) that freely roams across networks??

I believe an isle of man Sim is what you need

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the one.

Just looking for budget version, if anything like that exists, hence my rather silly question.

I believe an isle of man Sim is what you need

Not really, as it still requires GSM signal. Don’t remember seeing any on top of Helvellyn…

Cheers!
    I.

dovebiker

$99 for the tracker and then $9/month for the connection.

If we’re talking European prices so 145 Euros to purchase and 12 Euros/month and when you come to renew they’ll automatically put you on their highest tariff and you have to phone a number in the US to try and negotiate a discount.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Nice… not :-/
    I.

savoyad

Likes of Spot tracking device relies on GPS coverage and if you are out of GSM signal you can be tracked by your loved ones. So that kind of magic…

Spot doesn’t just use GPS. It gets your location from GPS, but it then relies on the data network provided by globalstar communications satellites to send that info to your loved ones. At substantial cost. There’s no budget version of that because there’s no budget satellite comms.

If network coverage is really an issue (your opening post said the constraint was the cost of a gps watch) I quite like @joshvegas sneaky suggestion – the cheapest foreign(ish) SIM you can find which will roam across the available UK networks. It’s probably not really an issue though unless you are thinking of really remote locations. Away from there, a cheap used garmin + phone will be a generally reliable way to do what you describe, at low cost, with no ongoing fee beyond whatever your phone data costs you.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

There’s no budget version of that because there’s no budget satellite comms.

I suspected so, but always worth asking question.

a cheap used garmin + phone

Seems to be unable to track one like that… Is that one of these https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/garmin-inreach-mini/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlLzQju-u7AIV24BQBh3l5AIsEAAYASAAEgIDoPD_BwE?

Cheers!
    I.

savoyad

I really meant a garmin sports watch. But in fact, the phone on its own will do the job.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does a Spot tracker work for dogs with other names as well?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

But in fact, the phone on its own will do the job.

… providing it will have signal :-/

Cheers!
    I.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If you’re genuinely concerned about folk being able to find you /track you a GSM device coupled with the old fashioned and very effective “telling people where you’re going” should be ample.

They’ll be able to follow you so long as the GSM signal lasts and again when it reappears, that combined with your route plan is very effective for working out where you’re likely to be if you’ve fallen in a ditch.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, sensible approach, one I apply, but that wasn’t a question.

Bottom line probably is: do it old school, sensible way or pay premium.

I think for that moment no better solution can be found…

Cheers!
    I.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Budget?

charliedontsurf

Hi,

Yes you can.

When I read your comment on the news story… I assumed you were being daft… but actually that is not a  bad idea.

I use it to track my girlfrend when she out with the dog. I know that sounds a bit stalky… but its not. If I get home and they are out, I can turn my phone on, flip it to live tracking (that is where it bleeps at the satellite every 30 seconds (or something like that)) see where they are, grab a couple of cans of beer and meet them mid walk for a sit on a rock, and a cuddle

I understand the “better than basic” tractive subscription will allow you down load the GPX file.

I am a scout leader, and scouts are always getting lost on the Duke Of Edinburgh expedition…. problem solved.

slowol

I seem to remember that provided you consent to it you can share your location with anyone using Google maps. Is this plus letting someone know where your planning to go sufficient for most rides and it is easy to do?
    I guess the advantage of only tracking with the dog tracker enables Charliedontsurf and his partner to only intercept each other on dog walks but otherwise be off the leash, which is also a good thing.
    Google tracking can also presumably be turned on and off at will.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Yes you can.

Cheers Charlie! So unlikely person to understand me 😀

Yeah, Google, Strava Beacon… All works. With GSM signal :p

I.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Can you track yourself with a dog tracker?’ is closed to new replies.