Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can you get used to sunglasses/glasses that are a different fit ?
  • weeksy

Bought a pair of Oakleys on Sunday in Wembley. However after wearing for 10 mins i find they feel tight on my nose at the bridge… Looking in more depth, my usual pair are Fuel Cell, they’re a 19mm bridge, these are Mainlink and are 17mm.

Sadly, taking them back isn’t quite as simple as they can only be returned to premises which means a trip to either Wembley or Gunwharf in Portsmouth. Both of them come in at £20 of fuel and parking… So i’m automatically out of pocket.

So what i’m wondering is, will i simply get used to the fit if i persevere ?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Rhinoplasty?

weeksy

The the Fuel Cells wouldn’t fit.

I like to have 1 pair in the car and 1 pair at home. I broke my other pair recently so bought these on a bit of a whim.

globalti
    Free Member

As a lifelong glasses wearer I can tell you that you’ll never get used to the narrower fit. Why can’t you just post them back to the retailer for a refund?

weeksy

Simple answer is… .that’s the rules. They were bought from Sunglasses hut outlet and they don’t accept postal returns for items from either of them 2 shops, they can only be returned in person. It may be possible to argue that… it may be they’re in the wrong… but i doubt i’m likely to change their policy.

globalti
    Free Member

Thats seems a bit daft, there must be a reason for that policy, possibly because people have been returning damaged glasses in the hope of getting a refund. If I was you I would phone the branch, have a word with the manager and ask if they would allow me to return them by post. Rules are made to be broken and nobody can refuse a reasonable request.

Obviously you will need to speak with somebody in authority, not a jobsworth.

weeksy

I’ve had a chat with customer services in the office and she’s going to speak to the shop…

The minor issue i now have is, they fit a tag around the nose on them, I don’t know why… but that has to be in place to return… Grrrr. I have it in the box, but it’s a question of whether i can fit it appropriately if i return…

It may be easier to cut my losses and flog on ebay. I’ve already got an advert on here..

globalti
    Free Member

That doesn’t matter. My take on it is that you have every right to return the goods if they aren’t appropriate for you, especially a luxury brand. Whether you do that in person or by post is irrelevant.

The “returns in person” rule is just to stop people sending back damaged goods, I’m sure.

thehustler
    Free Member

A decent dispensing optician/optical assistant would be able to adjsut them to fit better (yes even with plastic frames if you know what you are doing properly). This probably doesn’t help unless you are on good temrs with your local opticians.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s true, a good spectacle technician could certainly get them to fit. There’s one in every town in some shop in a back street; it’s where the opticians send glasses for repair when they’ve failed to persuade the customer to buy a new pair. Those guys can work miracles with plastic, same as the backstreet denture repair blokes.

hooli

Get the sandpaper out, 1 mm off each side and you are good to go

globalti
    Free Member

They might just do that for you then polish the plastic back to the original finish.

thehustler
    Free Member

That’s true, a good spectacle technician could certainly get them to fit. There’s one in every town in some shop in a back street; it’s where the opticians send glasses for repair when they’ve failed to persuade the customer to buy a new pair. Those guys can work miracles with plastic, same as the backstreet denture repair blokes.

Or even professional people………its what I do in our opticians day in day out….strangely I have never sent anyone anywhwere else “because we culdn’t repair it”

weeksy

I’d expect the cost of getting that done is likely to be more than the cost of selling these though ? If i sell i’m likely to lose say £20. The cost of getting them done is surely going to be that at least ? I still may then end up with a pair i don’t get on 100% with ? At least if i take the hit and get some Fuel Cells, i know they fit and i’m happy with them.

Mate of mines wife is an optician type person and could likely do that, but then he’s further away for me to drive than taking them to the retail outlet.

thehustler
    Free Member

The cost of getting them done is surely going to be that at least ?

It would depend on you optician, but at ours fitting and adjustments for our customers is a free service.

weeksy

It would depend on you optician, but at ours fitting and adjustments for our customers is a free service

But would you charge someone who was not a customer ? Don’t forget, i didn’t buy them from my local optician and they have no expecation that i ever will as i don’t wear glasses. Theyre not ‘adjustable’ in any context so would need to be machined, which would also mean the rubber boots wouldn’t fit either ?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27fRMxJ]2018-06-19_08-00-19[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

iamanobody
    Free Member

jeez am i really reading “i’m too tight to pay £20 to get the expensive Oakleys i bought to fit me”

weeksy

jeez am i really reading “i’m too tight to pay £20 to get the expensive Oakleys i bought to fit me”

No, the oakleys are £120. Which i’m fine with. But why take them to get potentially ‘fixed’ when i can get them replaced with known good shape for the same cost ?

It’s not about the £20, but about the unknown factor.

I’m asking questions, this is a discussion forum, you know, where we discuss stuff.

iamanobody
    Free Member

you said you could take them back and sort it but it would cost £20 which sounded like a whinge of “why should i take them back and it cost me £20?”

£120 on sunglasses suggests the £20 is pocket change surely

weeksy

Ah right, yes… That plan depends on Mrs Weeksy not coming to Gunwharf, because then taking them back is likely to cost me £300 on a new handbag too !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can you get used to sunglasses/glasses that are a different fit ?’ is closed to new replies.