Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • can you get 9mm bolt thru adaptors for hope pro 2 hubs ?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

the normal qr is nine mil where as the rws is nine mil bolt thru. I think the guy who replied got mixed up. I asked about the bolt thru but have had no reply. Im assuming as thats cos they dont make em. That or they are in foxes pocket with the fifteen mil axle lol they might be mid design on a rws rival we can but hope 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

the normal qr is nine mil where as the rws is nine mil bolt thru. I think the guy who replied got mixed up. I asked about the bolt thru but have had no reply. Im assuming as thats cos they dont make em. That or they are in foxes pocket with the fifteen mil axle lol they might be mid design on a rws rival we can but hope 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

does the on one thru hub just have a nine mil qr thru axle same as dt rws or is it different. And would it work in my dt nine mil hub cheers

AdamM
    Free Member

Pretty sure the On One works the same as the DT design.

I think the questions to Hope have not been sufficiently clear about wanting a 9mm bolt through, hence the responses sent back.

No reason why a 9mm bolt through couldn’t work for front Hope XC and Hope Bulb hubs either, I’d have thought that might be a big market for people who have those wheels but don’t want/can’t afford a new 15 or 20mm bolt through fork.

kimbers

Ive just mailed hope again…..
    Hi

I have looked but cant find any
    do you have any links?
    just to clarify
    Im looking for a 9mm thru axle adaptor not a 5mm QR one?

cheers

Chris

basically my plan is to pester them into making me some custom 9mm thru axle adaptors

walleater

Yes, clearly the current three front end standards (not including Maverick and the like….) are not enough 🙄

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just heard back from hope they say they do now make one but its that new its not in the catalogue but if i order from my lbs they will arrive 🙂 so fingers crossed ive ordered a set i shall see what turns up lol

dicky
    Free Member

To hopefully answer the question about the One-one hub, it is a 9mm through axle (ie a 9mm thick bar) but with a QR cam closure, a bit like the chumba ones mentioned above. It’s not a normal QR skewer which is (I think) a 5mm thick bar that runs through a 9mm axle sleeve. As the ends of the hub that clamp up against the drop outs are quite wide it just seems to make a stiffer interface than a normal QR hub. If you need a new wheel and don’t have bolt through forks then the On-one hub seems to be a better alternative than the normal QR in my opinion. The one I’m talking about is called “On-One 456 Front Hub 32h Black with 9mm skewer” on the On-one web site.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers dicky i was just thinking of buying an on one hub for the bolt thru as its cheaper than an rws bolt

z1ppy

walleater – Member
    Yes, clearly the current three front end standards (not including Maverick and the like….) are not enough

yeah but no but… this uses the existing dropouts and ‘std’ QR hub, increasing the stiffness for the price of an 9mm bolt through QR, and hub converters. So potentially £30, a bargain, sounds great to me

Firestarter, any chance Hope suppplied a part number?

firestarter
    Free Member

no afraid not mate i wil post on here if they turn up 🙂

specializedneeds

9mm Q/R and bolt in front hub

paulwf

The one specializedneeds posted is the same as the on one hub.

Here is a picture of the adaptor that comes with it. I was going to have the hope 20mm adaptors machined down so I could fit the one one adaptor – but I haven’t got round to measuring up yet.

kimbers

this is what hope said about teh new 9mm adaptors..

They will not be advertised on websites, they are a brand new item. You
    will need to custom order one through your LBS.

yipeeeeeeee!

nixie

Has anyone managed to get one yet?

firestarter
    Free Member

still waiting on lbs for mine

z1ppy

spoke to my lbs and asked him to order me one monday… looked very confused about what I wanted though 8)

nixie

I’ve asked 18 to get me one, not sure if they can or not yet

bomberman
    Free Member

anyone got one?

st

Well that’s sorted, half a dozen people on an internerd forum is easily enough interest for Hope to design and tool up for making a new accessory.

firestarter
    Free Member

st when i spoke to them they had already mate it it just wasnt in the new catalogue. Nice try tho 🙂

bomberman
    Free Member

its not just this forum either theres a 2 page thread HERE on socaltrailriders.com and correct me if i’m wrong but socal is short for Southern Calafornia which is in america isn’t it?

good thread actually, pics posted by a guy who drilled his hope pro 2’s out

scu98rkr
    Free Member

any news ?

Olly
    Free Member

wouldnt reccomend the 456 hub im afraid.
    cant change the bearings on them, and they only last about 6 months….

(strikes me as raaather daft)

z1ppy

don’t think anyone was recommending the hub itself, only a ‘cheap’ way to obtain a 9mm QR axle (vs the DT system)… though it’s no longer cheap as it went back up to £25

richc
    Free Member

Is there really no way of getting the bearing out? as that seems mental

z1ppy

I think it’s like a cannondale bolt thru hub (knackered) i have, gunna set my pet engineer onto it to see if it can be done…

firestarter
    Free Member

lbs called me to tell me its in just cant pick up til fri due to work will post back if its right 🙂 now just need a nine mm bolt thru lol

kimbers

my lbs still havent called back about it yet

ive got the 9mm waiting

Rorschach
    Free Member

Was at hope today.They are making them now…like today.

dicky
    Free Member

I read somewhere that you can get the bearings out but you need to use a bearing puller to do it, whatever one of those is.

firestarter
    Free Member

shame they cant bang together a 9mm bolt thru to match it lol

RicB

Yea Hope would make a killing on a kit with bolt-through and convertors. Surely a 9mm bolt-up axle would be a good start, and a darn sight cheaper than the DT swiss jobby.

How much is the convertor kit OOI?

Also – the on-one axle looks like a standard qr, whereas the DT Swiss can be tightened by screwing. Does this mean the DT Swiss axle can be tightened more?

firestarter
    Free Member

and here they are 😉

i also spoke to hope today asking if there was a 9mm skewer/bolt thru in the pipeline at all and they said very doubtful and even if demand were high it wouldnt be til next year at least

scu98rkr
    Free Member

excellent ! 🙂

half way there now if only chumba still did thoose QR axles. Although as said I prefer a allen key type axle.

firestarter
    Free Member

yup i just need another 9mm axle lol ive got rws on other bike so can swap between til one shows up 😉

kimbers

just got my NC-17 10mm rear QR and its very nice, very stiff and much lighter than my chumba one

if only they made a 9mm front version

firestarter
    Free Member

i was thinking of the on-one 456 hub and just using the qr but its jumped from 10 quid to 25 at all the talk of this new adaptor lol

z1ppy

I finally got this sorted (I did buy a new ‘main’ bike in the meantime, with a lefty, so the issue became a little less priority) using the hope adapters (£20 – but as above this could be got cheaper) and a specialized 9mm bolt thru axle (£10).
    The specialized axle was new from the Specialized concept store Brum, I phoned up and asked for a replacement one for a stout hub, they had to order it in, but other than being passed to a mechanic to confirm what I wanted, it was no bother at all (I believe they were going to order some spares in too).

I can throughly recommend it, but can’t prove it hugely better (I hadn’t actually ridden this bike for over 2 months), but perception wise it feels ace, with the bike seemingly tracking better.
    This perception is throughly endorsed by the fact that when you pull the end caps off your Pro II hub there is nothing supporting the skewer inside the hub it it only supported by the end caps! I hadn’t expected this, I was expecting an axle like the rear hubs (and was wondering what I’d need to pull out to make the 9mm axle work).
    So having a bigger 9mm axle runnning through the two new endcaps was a better mental image before you even start riding.

Can’t say I think the specialized axle is a greatest piece of kit but when the alternative is a £50 DT axle, I’ll stick with it for now.
    It may be worth seeing what the Ritchey 9mm bolt thru axle is like, but as I found the specialized one so easily i didn’t chase that up.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘can you get 9mm bolt thru adaptors for hope pro 2 hubs ?’ is closed to new replies.