Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • can you get 9mm bolt thru adaptors for hope pro 2 hubs ?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

ive got a 9mm rws bolt thru on my full sus and wondered if i can get adaptors to make my hope pro 2 front hub to take 9mm bolt thru . cheers

singlespeedstu

Drill the QR adaptors out with a 9mm drill.

firestarter
    Free Member

i thought of this but dont have a vice a drill or indeed any technical ability im limited to shooting guns and putting out fires lol

IA

I asked hope. They don’t make them, but said they’d consider it if there’s enough demand.

So send them an email, let them know the demand is out there.

You’d need a lathe to drill them out properly, if it’s not perfectly concentric you’ll get disc wear issues.

Also, there’s not much (5mm each side) left to support the wheel on the skewer, so with bigger discs at least you end up with some wear on the skewer (from pics I’ve seen). If/when I get around to making some, I’d also turn some spacers on a lathe to spread the load better.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just mailed hope. cant be that hard for them to do can it lol

vinnyeh

betd would probably knock something up. Don’t know what the cost would be though.

AdamM
    Free Member

Guys on MTBR have machined/lathed the ProII QR adapters to suit but agreed, it’s not really a suitable long term solution.

kimbers

i got the engineers in my work to drill them out on the pillar drill, but they fuct it up!

i really wish hope would make some

ive emailed em too

AdamM
    Free Member

I reckon we should also email Hope suggesting they offer a competing 9mm axle… RWS is pretty good but quite expensive. However, for the riders out there who can’t afford (or don’t want) to change their forks to bolt through but who have ProII hubs, 9mm bolt through is a great interim or permanent solution that is significantly better than a normal QR.

Now where’s that email address for Hope…

IA

A 9mm wouldn’t even need to be QR. They could just make a nutted (at one end) thru axle in alu like you get at the back end of DH bikes. Nice and light and would do the job.

AdamM
    Free Member

Exactly. I reckon there’s space in the market for a cheap, simple and robust alternative to DT’s RWS, especially if ProII (and Bulb) adapters were available.

richc
    Free Member

sounds good, I will email them also.

dicky
    Free Member

Just a thought but you could buy one of the on-one 456 front hubs which are 9mm and come with a 9mm QR skewer. I got mine for £25 but I’ve seen they are going for £15 in the current sale. Even if you throw away the hub (!) you still get a 9mm skewer a lot cheaper than a DT RWS. I’ve got the hub and skewer on some Revelations and because of the wide clamping area it seems to stiffen the fork up significantly.

paulwf

I got a 456 hub today, but I only paid £10 for it (its now 15). The 20mm to 9mm adaptor unscrews – I am hoping it will fit into the 20mm pro2 conversion.
    The 20mm should arrive tomorrow, so I will let you know if it works or not.

paulwf

It won’t work with the Hope adaptors immediately, but I am going to get the machined down at work.

The 456 hub obviously needs adaptors to go from 9mm to QR

richc
    Free Member

got any pictures of the on-one adaptors and skewer? as I am tempted to put a 9mm axle on one of my bikes.

nixie

Has anyone tried the DT 9mm adaptors in a Pro II?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get hold of some converters and Im using these axles/quick releases

http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/_7/6003/6002940.jpg

Seems quite stiff, but easy to take the wheel in and out but the axles are quite heavy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can’t I just drill out the QR adapters on my ProII?

richc
    Free Member

yes, but they have to be square or else the wheel will be wonky, and people aren’t sure if the small surface area of the drilled out adapter will wear through the 9mm axle.

Hence it’s worth emailing hope to let them know that there is a demand for these adapters.

kimbers

It really does seem like a silly gap in the market here that no one is paying attention to,
    using QRs based on road biking standard is crazy when dropouts will take a larger and stiffer axle

especially in these financially unsure times
    i wish i could afford 150 quids worth of new lowers and then new brakes and hub adaptors to fit a QR15s

i managed to track down a 10mm/ 9mm QR axle set from ebay US about half the price of 1 rws skewer

ive upgraded my back end but (pro II) but cant upgrade the front

surely hope could do some of their excellent QR skewers in 9 and 10mm in a kit with adaptors for their hubs
    let a lot of folks upgrade their older bikes and swipe some business away from the very expensive DTswiss

even a tube 15mm external and 9mm internal would let you use the qr 15 adaptors with your 9mm axle

right im off to email BETD and see what they say!

nixie

scu98rkr, where did you get the converters from? It wasn’t the set that was sold in the classifieds on here was it?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I found them on ebay. Chumba were selling loads of them but they seem to have stopped now.

This was the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chumba-Racing-9%2F10-mm-Quick-Release-Skewers_W0QQitemZ310051139348QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL08051614134a23425

To be honest I wish I’d brought a second pair cant find them anywhere now.

kimbers

i got the same chumba QRs and they are ace!

ive emailed betd and hope but no replies yet

julianwilson
    Free Member

…so are those 456 hubs any stiffer then? I might get one in the sale for a rainy day.

kimbers

here are some NC17 10mm qr
    link

and i think they are the same as these
    crc

tho it seems that since the chumba ones have disapeared you cant get any 9mm from QRS unles you wanna pay dtswiss prices

AdamM
    Free Member

I think if you’re going to bother with 9mm front/10mm rear axles then they need to have something other than a regular QR lever to clamp them or you’re not really going to gain that much. Clamping force is as important as axle stiffness. I’d settle for a really simply nut/bolt style arrangement myself…

kimbers

using a 10mm QR on my rear end was noticeably stiffer over a regular QR
    at least on my kona dawg

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yeah I think it would be best it some one could cheaply produce them with just a allen key end.

Nut a bolt is annoying as you have to carry a spanner as well as allen keys.

IA

They should do it like a lot of DH axles:

One end has a hole drilled thru the cross section, so you can slide any old allen key into it to hold it steady, then the other end can be an allen bolt.

kimbers

erm just got this back from hope??

We make a 9mm conversion for our Pro 2 hubs to suit the DT axle. These
    are available through all good bike shops.

Customer Service

Hope Technology
    Fernbank Mill
    Fernbank Avenue
    Barnoldswick
    Lancashire
    BB18 5UX

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hmm When I’ve emailed them they said they didnt any idea of price ?

molgrips
    Free Member

They’re not on Wiggle, at least they weren’t the other day.

firestarter
    Free Member

do they mean a standard one. Ive not had a reply but cant find any info or links to a nine mil one

IA

Yeah, I’ve seen their QR adapters listed as 9mm in places, cos they fit a 9mm dropout.

K

I can machine(using a lathe) out your QR bits to 9mm and 10mm on the rear if needed, have done it with bulb hubs.

Email me if you want it doing

AdamM
    Free Member

We make a 9mm conversion for our Pro 2 hubs to suit the DT axle. These
    are available through all good bike shops.

Hmmm, never seen them listed anywhere before now! And contradicting answers to others… think someone’s got confused about normal QR adapters.

kimbers

heres the email i sent to them….
    Hi was wondering if you guys had any plans to make any 9mm qr adaptors for your hubs
    cant afford an upgrade of new lowers or new forks but ive got hold of a 9mm QR axle

even a metal tube with 15mm external and 9mm internal diameter would let me run the axle with some qr 15 adaptors, but at a weight penalty i suppose

infact if you made some of your QR axles in oversize 9mm and sold them with adaptors to fit your hubs i reckon you would make a killing and probably swipe some business from dtswiss too as their RWS skewers are nice but very pricey

cheers

Chris

molgrips
    Free Member

Just back from the LBS – no 9mm adapters listed in their latest Hope catalogue.

I think I’ll just drill out my QR adapters (with a pillar drill), and get some more if it f*cks up.

richc
    Free Member

I got the same email from Hope so they must be out there. Unfortunately they aren’t doing any adapters for Bulbs tho.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘can you get 9mm bolt thru adaptors for hope pro 2 hubs ?’ is closed to new replies.