Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • Can we take a moment to moan about the price of a pint?
  • binners

Oh and Northern Quarter in Manchester, add on a couple of quid just because.

Hipster Tax

The fiver a pint mark was reached and breached in the Northern Quarter many many years ago

kelvin

Hey, I’m only nearly 48!

Snap.

On table service, I find I drink more not less. When the lovely staff offer you more delicious beers without you even having to move… you need a good reason to say no. Paying more for good beer, good service, and a good atmosphere… hell yes.

Cougar

The bunch of us who ride on a Thursday night have always put our beer money into a kitty after the ride

I’m calling the RSPCA, you monster.

scruff9252

We’ve got a really nice pub near us which opened in December 2019 after an extensive refurb of a long time empty building… We’ve been along twice to support it, as it is a good thing to have in the village and they seemed to treat their staff fairly during lockdown, but >£5 a pint… frankly a pint out is not worth that, even if it is nice stuff.

If my wife an I were to go, have say 3 drinks each and a couple of small plates of nibbles, it would easily be over £60 – the question then becomes, how would you rather spend your wages, either spend 2 hours in the local pub or for the same money, go away for the weekend…

No brainer really.

IdleJon

I’m calling the RSPCA, you monster.

Well, it’s either that or a pussy…

kelvin

There’s some right little rays of sunshine on this thread forum

either spend 2 hours in the local pub or for the same money, go away for the weekend

Err… you can go away for the weekend for the price of a few drinks down your local?!? How?

scruff9252

Err… you can go away for the weekend for the price of a few drinks down your local?!? How?

Weekend away for £60? pretty easily really. Half tank of fuel for the car, bottle of wine, food and perhaps a night on a campsite. Even cheaper if you use a new invention called a bicycle instead of a car.

BillMC

Unless the picture’s out of date, THE BEST PUB in the NQ has lots below a fiver.

https://the-smithfield-market-tavern.business.site/

kelvin

Even cheaper if you use a new invention called a bicycle instead of a car.

Even cheaper if you drink from puddles and steal apples from a local farmer.

scruff9252

Even cheaper if you drink from puddles and steal apples from a local farmer.

You may like drinking from puddles, we prefer things a little nicer thanks.

Something that may surprise you also – we have a modest, but very comfortable boat on the west coast, the annual running costs divided by the night’s we’ve already spent aboard this season is <£50 a night so far and were only just half way through the sailing season.

`Like I say, a weekend away for the price of a few hours in the pub is pretty easy, and the better value is, for us, not in the pub.

markgraylish
    Free Member

$22 Canadian dollars (~£13) for two IPAs at my new favorite local brewery (that includes a tip, as bar staff get an abysmal hourly rates over here, so the emphasis is providing an excellent service and tips make up the shortfall).

That’s for a 20 fluid oz “pint” so a little bit bigger than a UK pint and is also offset by the (generally) higher ABV

I’m old enough to remember the time when the price of a pint breached £1…
    😳

kelvin

Like I say, a weekend away for the price of a few hours in the pub is pretty easy

Or… support your local pub without spending £30 a head… that’s six pints of strong beer… which I wouldn’t recommend.

It’s such a fake choice.

Your £60 weekend away for two still seems entirely mythical to me, and is probably ignoring a heap of costs that you’re writing off as “paid for anyway”.

binners

we have a modest, but very comfortable boat on the west coast

#humblebrag

scruff9252

Your £60 weekend away for two still seems entirely mythical to me, and is probably ignoring a heap of costs that you’re writing off as “paid for anyway”.

Cool, no worries. Not here to win an argument or really care if you believe me or not.

Like the old saying goes, you can afford (pretty much) anything you want, but you can’t afford everything you want. It comes down to what you value.

have a good weekend

kelvin

– travel
    – accommodation
    – food
    – drink

And are we assuming on your “weekend away” you don’t go to a cafe, pub, restaurant…?

The two of you can go to the pub for a tenner a head. Unless you want to eat out. Which your weekend away costing suggests you’re not that bothered about.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Another shout for the Fat Cat here in Sheffield, most expensive round last night was £10 for 2 and a half pints of excellent cider. Their own lovely brew “Pale Rider” is under £3 a pint.
    I’ll continue to support them but not other establishments nearby selling inferior refreshments for £5+ a pint.

kelvin

Do they still do cheap pies in the week? I’ve not been for… shit… 10 years!

doris5000

Yeah I’m also not entirely sure that a weekend in a tent rationing a bottle of wine and eating sandwiches is quite the equal of a nice meal out in a restaurant, but hey – some people even think running is enjoyable so it takes all sorts…

cyclelife
    Free Member

Pies are still good at the Fat Cat but not as brilliant as at the Nottie.👍

BoardinBob

£12 for 2 pints of Tiny Rebel Club Tropica in Dunkeld last Sunday!

wheelsonfire1

Still £3 a pint in The Farmacy in Matlock, beer brewed locally. Tupton Tap £3.50 a pint for a variety of real ale. £33 for 10 litres at Brampton Brewery in Chezvegas… you can’t afford not to drink, cheers all!

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I remember when a pint bust 50p…

slowoldman

Well OK remember when a pint was 10p. It was shit.

brant
    Free Member

Something that may surprise you also – we have a modest, but very comfortable boat on the west coast, the annual running costs divided by the night’s we’ve already spent aboard this season is <£50 a night so far and were only just half way through the sailing season.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

brant
    Free Member

Or… support your local pub without spending £30 a head… that’s six pints of strong beer… which I wouldn’t recommend.

Tbh I spent £60.40 at drink in Hebden bridge tonight on nine cans and a big bottle of cider, but I think that’ll do us two nights.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

£60 quid on 10 beers/ciders from the offy! I couldn’t do it…

Northern Monk from Morrisons at £10 for 8 cans is my posh beer

singletrackmind

So the pub is buying beer in at around 3 price points.
    JDW pay approx 80p a pint for locsl real ale around 4.0% abv
    Free of tie indies will be buying at £1 a pint for a best bitter, maybe £1.35 for keg product like Peroni
    Then the pubco owned tennant who rents his pub and can only buy from that pubco will be st £1.70 a pint. With the pubco buyimg that pint for 80p.
    All ex vat. Std mark used to x3 plus vat,

Drac

Weekend away for £60? pretty easily really. Half tank of fuel for the car, bottle of wine, food and perhaps a night on a campsite.

£25 on fuel, £8 on wine, £20 on food and a shit campsite for £3.50 per night.

My locals have gone up too max is about £4 a pint for what I drink, a bit more for some others. I don’t mind they need to make up for the lost trade, plus worth it for table service.

duncancallum

Depends where I am and if I’m just having a couple.

If it’s a nice venue and its only a few dont begrudge paying for a nice pint.

Those complaining dont look at scotch or wine in a pub.

Drac

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Tell me you pictured the Wolf of Wall Street too?

binners

Drac

Not bad considering it was from a store a staff whip round after he closed the shop.

bigjim

In Sweden, so I feel the pain of the fellow Scandinavians. Hence why the “about right” comment I made was… made. A workmate regularly bitches about paying 70kr for a beer in Stockholm, which is why he defaults to drinking the cheap stuff (most often seen on streetcorners) when at home.

Copenhagen here so yeah can quite easily drop pretty much a tenner on not even a pint, of exceptionally good beer to be fair, but on the other hand you can have a cheap night in a bodega on the bottled pilsner for a fraction of the price and have an equally good time. Actually prefer a cold pilsner in summer here!

sirromj

I’m not sure if I’m happy with spending £22 on five pairs in M&S or not.

CheesybeanZ

We went to the local(village pub in Worcestershire )with friends a couple of weeks ago, a round for 6 was £30.00

edhornby

Joseph Holt’s is now £3.30 a pint which is my yardstick of the bottom price of a pint without ***spoon reference as I’m not giving him money.

Beer has its own production cost (go and look at the cost of hops…)

£5 I no longer moan about , I would have 5/10 yrs ago but not now especially post covid

sargey

Bird in hand Wordsley,£3 a pint for hobson’s Town crier or holdens golden glow and a top draw pint at that.
    Camra pub of the year 2020 what’s not to like.

Houns

Oh I haven’t been in there for years! We’ve got some good tiny pubs around here haven’t we

kelvin

Hobsons is a great pint.

singlespeedstu

We went to the local(village pub in Worcestershire )with friends a couple of weeks ago, a round for 6 was £30.00

I remember the first time we took you to The Anchor.
    You came back from the bar with beers and cobs convinced they had massively under charged you. 😀

Tempest taproom today was 3.50 for 2/3 of a pint.
    Bit more expensive than we are used of paying but worth it for great beer in an area that seems to only have pubs that sell shit lager or Strongbow.

holdens golden glow

Gives me the farts something chronic.😂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Can we take a moment to moan about the price of a pint?’ is closed to new replies.