• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Mat.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Can Tacx legally do this or are they breaking the law?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

So Tacx have stopped supporting the old Tacx Trainer Software which only runs on windows 7 and is used by a people who have the pre smart Tacx trainers, eg Fortius & Imagic. But what they have also apparently done is to also remove the ability to reinstall the software you own onto another windows 7 pc should the current one fail.

So basically they have made the old Fortius & Imagic trainers null and void as you could not sell it on unless you also sell the windows 7 pc as well.

Can they legally do this or could they be forced to put the authentication server back online or to release a patch for existing owners that removes the need to authenticate?

tjagain

What law would they be breaking? I guess it would be down to what is in the contract

nickdavies

If they are pre smart trainers then why do you need the software? Turbo still works fine doesn’t it?

reluctantjumper

As long as they have supported the product for it’s reasonable life expectancy (which varies depending upon what the item is) then they are fine legally. As for the software I would have thought you only own the license, that way they have control of the programme. If they haven’t sold the trainer or software for 5+ years then I doubt there’s anything you can do to stop them doing what they’ve done.

BoardinBob

Can’t you use compatibly mode to run it under Windows 7 on newer versions?

ajaj
    Free Member

What law would they be breaking?

Knee jerk reaction would be something on the lines of making a product not fit for purpose or frustrating the right to resell software.

Google seemed to get away with it when they killed Nest though, as did Microsoft when they killed Groove.

On the other hand Adobe made Photoshop freely available when they killed the activation servers.

Pyro

Windows 7 is now end-of-life, so they’re simply complying with Microsoft’s disposal schedule – if Windows isn’t being patched then it’s irresponsible of them to maintain support. Nothing illegal about it in the slightest.

beej

It’s probably in the End User Licence Agreement you agreed to when you installed the software. I assume you read it in detail before clicking “I agree”?

Best case might be to put pressure on them via their forums.

Software generally has a finite life, companies can’t support everything they’ve ever released for ever.

wwaswas

one for @InternetOfShit

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t think so, I’ve got old versions of Corel Draw that they no longer support which cost an absolute fortune at the time. Although they would still work on an older PC.

Seems a bit harsh not to release a patch removing the need for authentication, especially if they have no plans to sell it again. But I guess that would be work for them with no obvious payback (I doubt there’s much brand loyalty).

If they are pre smart trainers then why do you need the software? Turbo still works fine doesn’t it?

I think they were smart, in the sense you could create training plans, ride virtual roues etc. But they predate ANT+/FCE connectivity so won’t work without 3rd party software.

ajaj
    Free Member

Windows isn’t being patched then it’s irresponsible of them to maintain support.

There are going to be lots of people saying this in the coming weeks. Doesn’t make it correct though.

Another option to consider is virtualising the Windows 7 PC, we’ve kept lots of Windows 2000 hardware control kit going that way.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I don’t expect support, but I do expect to be able to reinstall the software onto a standalone windows 7 pc in the future should I so wish. It’s the fact that they have stopped users from being able to reinstall the software that is the issue. So I basically have a turbo trainer that for all intensive purposes can no longer be used.

Pyro

Windows isn’t being patched then it’s irresponsible of them to maintain support.

There are going to be lots of people saying this in the coming weeks. Doesn’t make it correct though.

I don’t know what other people’s opinion on it is but I’d say if the Operating System is end-of-life, then any software that hasn’t been updated to run on something newer is also end-of-life. Yes, there’s various workarounds – VMs, compatibility modes etc – but I think they’re well within their rights to kill it.

People will bitch and moan, but people do that anyway.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have same issue as need to get a new desktop pc. I have a tacx flux and use the old tt4s software. They are saying i cant reinstall it onto another pc and I need to use the new tacx app moving forward. But the app requires a subscription, whereas I’ve already purchased the tt4s software plus all the film’s to go with it.

My biggest issue is they were still selling the tt4s films about 1 month ago, so imo they haven’t supported the software for a reasonable time past that point.

Given that my flux is a piece of crap and due for replacement , the loss of my tt4 means I’ll be going to another manufacturer in future

the-muffin-man

If this is old software is it not supplied on CDs? If so what’s to stop you installing on another PC?

Old software installers used to be pretty dumb. Try switching of WiFi/Internet while you do the install.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My biggest issue is they were still selling the tt4s films about 1 month ago, so imo they haven’t supported the software for a reasonable time past that point.

Maybe, but how many of those have they actually sold since Zwift arrived? If it was a viable income stream there would be some one sat there coding patches for it, or transferring it to Windows 10.

I’ve still got a couple of sufferfest videos, which only kinda worked with trainerroad, except SF asked TR to take the workouts down. So I still own a video, but can’t even make it work with a “low IQ” trainer setup.

chakaping
    Free Member

If they are pre smart trainers then why do you need the software?

Also wondering this.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think the issue is if you install the software via disk again, none of the updates will be available. So for example no power meter compatibility

CraigW
    Free Member

Does it work with Golden Cheetah? Seems that has some support for Tacx Fortius

trail_rat
    Free Member

consider it a blessing

they were crap anyway. ahead of their time a bit like the sinclair c5 but like the c5 ultimately crap

hols2
    Free Member

… which only runs on windows 7 … what they have also apparently done is to also remove the ability to reinstall the software .

First, have you tried installing it on Win10 in compatibility mode? I still use some old WinXP software on Win10.

Second, “apparently”? It would probably be worth checking out what the reality is instead of assuming everything on the internet is true.

nicko74

Something around EU consumer protection laws, that your product must be ‘fit for purpose’ for 3 years or similar, would be the best bet.

Pyro

Something around EU consumer protection laws, that your product must be ‘fit for purpose’ for 3 years or similar, would be the best bet.

The Fortius came out in 2006-07, as far as I remember/can Google. If your 3 years statute is right, that ship has long since sailed…

servo
    Free Member

I had a fortius for about 8 years and loved the VR routes on Atlantis and Callisto. I could ride the routes with another version of myself (from a previous ride) to try and beat (some great workouts). I used to do last 60 Km of Milan San Remo and climb Puig Major in Mallorca on the video rides. In fact I took about the same time to ride PM in real life!

When that software stopped, I got the TTS Advanced and used it for a few more years on VR routes mostly.

I had eight good years out of it. Fixed the slipping roller with araldite and rebuilt the connector. Sold it for £100 about 3 years ago and bought a Tacx Flux which I use exclusively on Trainer Road.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I suppose given the use I have out of the trainer over the last decade I cannot really complain. As an advocate of recycle or repair over buy new, it does just seem to add to the throw away culture. Just think how many Fortius and IMagic trainers there are out there with usb controllable motor brakes that could be ported over to be controlled via ANT or Bluetooth if someone savvy could develop a new head unit.

Unfortunately, electronics and drivers are something outside of my skillset.

molgrips
    Free Member

I guess it would be down to what is in the contract

You don’t ‘own’ software, you pay for a licensed to to use it. The terms of that license are in the licence agreement, that thing you always click through and never read. If you can find a term in there that Tacx have broken, then you have a legitimate grievance.

This kind of installation restriction feels like a bungled attempt at copy protection. But since it only works with a physical device, that seems pretty stupid. Not illegal, but stupid.

Mat

Feels like a similar move Suunto are currently pulling by withdrawing the Movescount web app and replacing it with a phone only app and significantly reducing functionality for legacy watches (that they are still selling).

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Can Tacx legally do this or are they breaking the law?’ is closed to new replies.