Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Can slow people race?
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’ve been mountain biking for almost a year now. When i started i was really unfit and had very little skill at all. To be honest I was always unfit through school, always one of the last to complete 1500m run which felt at the time like it could nearly kill me.

I now ride quite a bit, 9 miles on road each way to work most days of the week. Most weekends we organise a ride out to a trail centre or day out on bridleways in the dales/moors etc. The rides are usually 20-30 miles long with a fair amount of climbing.

Since starting, my fitness level is much better than it was previously. It takes me under 30 minutes to get to work, today was the first time I had strava’d my commute and I was averaging around 20mph on my hardtail (with slicks and SPDs), I actually came 11th out of 84 over a 6 mile segment which was a surprise with all the roadies i see riding it. The shorter segments i was a bit further down the leaderboard but still surprised i was in the top 15% mostly. I assume some will speed up for the segments, i was just trying to pace myself for the full ride. I know this is not an accurate representation of how fast I am…

I’m wanting to know whether I can race. Now i know that I will be miles off the times of the top guys, but i wouldn’t mind seeing how my fitness compares and how I can improve.

So what XC racing is available in the North East? Do they have a class for less competative people wanting to just enjoy it? How long are races generally, i think i would prefer shorter ones rather than trying to pace myself over a few hours, but i suppose I could have something to train towards.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Only one way to find out…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Reading only the title:

Yes, but don’t expect to win 🙂

bigjim

Yep go for it, I’m currently regretting waiting until my mid thirties to start racing as have really enjoyed the three I’ve done. I’m not results orientated and just like to enjoy the experience.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, I do.

robdob
    Free Member

If you are the sort of person who might feel downhearted and give up if you come last, you might not want to bother. I can understand that.

If you are like me and you want to use the race as a barometer of your general fitness and ability – go for it! I entered a road hill climb event last year (Jackson Bridge Hillclimb, West Yorks) just to see how fit I was. I had previously done it, self timed, at 14 mins ish. My time was 9:58. I was chuffed to improve my time but I did come dead last, even behind the junior riders (under 16yo!!). I grunted up in the inner ring of my (shock!) triple chainset!! My friend won the veent for his club in less that 5 mins. The organiser of the event was really nice and encouraged me to enter (He’s a cat 2 racer I think) and I enjoyed the whole thing.

Best of all I have a time to beat this year…. will I come last? Maybe… but if I improve that’ll be awesome!

binners

If you want to see unfit people race, I’d recommend Hit the North. Us wobbly types operate as rotund and randomly-directionend (vaguely) mobile obstacles for the race whippets on CX bikes. It keeps things more interesting for them, and they’re often heard to shout their appreciation as they pass 😀

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I don’t mind coming last, I just won’t invite the family round to watch 😛

So is there any websites i should be looking at to find a race i could possibly enter?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was thinking about this last week. The wife’s been doing a few 10k’s with the last one being won in 30mins, she plodded round and broke the hour which she was really pleased with. She came about 270th out of 400. Are xc races similar to this, nice and friendly with some people just doing it because they want to or is it ultra competitive through the field?

benji
    Free Member

Give it a go,

Either look on XCRacer or the british cycling website.

Simon

The Brownback races put on at Lee Quarry are laid back and first time racer friendly, good fun courses too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This is coming up soon 10th August. Reeth in the Dales. Ive not done it before, but I would have thought it might be worth a dabble.

http://www.nutcrackermtb.co.uk/round6.html

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Great cheers for the help, will have a look for some events!

Wrightyson thats exactly what I’m hoping for. Something with people as bimbly as me who just want to have a good day out.

RustySpanner

For God’s sake give it a go.
    I’m a grossly overweight ex heavy smoker with the strength and stamina of a baby rabbit.

I do one race a year, Hit The North in Manchester.
    I love it.
    I look forward to it all year, have met some ace people, always have a brilliant time and haven’t come last yet (mostly due to Binners stopping regularly for a fag break).

The sense of satisfaction in just completing the race is fantastic.
    Can’t recommend it highly enough.

I’ve decided to try and get fitter and enter a 24 hour race next year.
    Not sure which one yet, but if it’s half as good as the usual 2 hours of chaos in Prestwich it’ll be well worth it.

johnellison
    Free Member

Jenson Button races, doesn’t he? He’s reeeaaaalllyyy slow this season…

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Looking on XCracer there’s one at Lee Quarry in September that looks like it may be worth a go. Informal relaxed atmosphere clinches it for me 😆

I guess I would enter as a ‘weekend warriar’ or ‘have a go hero’? Sums me up nicely.

Haven’t been up there before, so will try get a ride organised there in the next couple of weeks to see what its like 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Lots of slow people race. You’ll be surprised at how well you do.

Just don’t get involved in any cyclocross races. You probably won’t do so well at those.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Meant to say, I was off the bike for 2-3 years (just got bored of it). I put weight on all though not masses. I then got Pneumonia as well. After that I decided to get back in to it.

It has taken me about 2-3 years to get any fitness back, and I was shocked when I entered races again as I was towards the back of the field. But IMO racing is the thing that encourages me to get fitter, as I dont want to be the one at the back !

I enetered one race last year and came about 10th from last this year the aim in the same race is to just get mid field. (some of the best fell runners and cyclocrossist in the north enter it)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Feel a bit bad now… 😳

just so you all know – my name is not a very accurate description 😉

When’s the Lee Quarry one – I should go. I said to Brant that I’d have a bash there on the Pig when he arranged me a framesize swap.

binners

As Rusty says: give it a go!

I did in fact come last this year, I stopped for a fag and to hide in the trees for a bit so I didn’t have to do another lap, got chatting to the other people hiding in the trees so that they didn’t have to do another lap, like you do, and sort of forgot to finish 😀

The Swalbe Marathon Series are a good one to start with too.

You have got a choice of courses, so you can do 35, 50, 75 or 100k. There is a good mix of race whippets, and fat blokes. Its a great atmosphere. Its good to make a weekend of it and camp.

You may think race meetings are the sole preserve of race snakes on carbon race missiles, but they’re really not. You’ll enjoy it. Just don’t start near the front!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Lee Quarry race is 8th September
    http://www.xcracer.com/raceentry/viewevent.php?event_id=484

It says it starts at 10:30 and finished at 2pm. Do you just complete as many laps as you can in that time?

I’ve never ridden constantly for that long, most weekend rides have about 3-4 hours moving but we always stop for drinks/food and to catch a breather every so often. Not sure if i will be able to keep it up for the full thing…

Simon

The race won’t be from 10.30 until 2, there will be different start times for different categories. Races will last for around 1hr15mins iirc.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yeah you will, you will go off too fast on the first laps, then calm down becuase you have no choice & just survive to the finish.

I think thats how most peoples first races go. I think mine were like that for years.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

The race won’t be from 10.30 until 2, there will be different start times for different categories. Races will last for around 1hr15mins iirc.

It doesn’t really make it clear on the website, Racer class starts at 10:30, Have a go Hero – 10:32 etc up until 11am. It says it finishes at 2pm but that could be the time everyone is packed up and leaving?

Yeah you will, you will go off too fast on the first laps, then calm down becuase you have no choice & just survive to the finish.

I’m sure thats exactly how it will pan out 😛

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Of course slow people can race!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Ah just found out its 1h30m + 1 lap. Sounds almost do-able 😀

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m guessing even the fast guys have to start somewhere right? Or do they get themselves up to mega-speed and then start racing? Genuine question!

rsvktm

Second the Nutcracker, fantastic atmosphere and different categories to enter depending on your age, they also have a Fun category so there is something for everyone regardless of your ability/fitness. It’s the final one of the series on 10th August and should be a belter. We only started doing them as a means to keep fit and have done all the Nutcracker races this year, we also do Hit the North every year, another brilliant event.
    Mrs rsvktm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes otherwise nobody would win….

Racing to win is one thing find the event that you want to complete then enter that.
    This was great fun
    http://www.manxe2e.org/
    this is this years challenge
    http://www.wildsidemtb.com/

edlong
    Free Member

Sort of related question for another slow fat knacker who has no experience of racing, would expect to be competing with the likes of binners for last place, but strangely fancies having a go:

Clothing: All the piccies I see of racing online seems to feature a lot of lycra. I don’t do lycra. Would I look (more of) a nob turning up to ‘race’ in 3/4 humvees and a loose top?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure you wouldn’t be the only lycra refusenik edlong, there were a couple at the last XC race I did.

🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Just don’t get involved in any cyclocross races. You probably won’t do so well at those.

Interesting… So if someone who’d never raced before but who was reasonably fit without being a full on whippet turned up to say: http://cxne.org.uk/events/2013-14-round-2-ponteland/

Would they end up dead last, dribbling in after everyone else had buggered off home?

molgrips
    Free Member

Would I look (more of) a nob turning up to ‘race’ in 3/4 humvees and a loose top?

No, in the Fun category you’d fit right in. It’s called Fun for a reason, and it generally lives up to that name. The hardcore whippet pot-hunters in lycra tend to stand out a bit in that one 🙂

kimbers

im slow as **** and am currently racing the uk gravity enduro series where my lack of fitness, preparation and skill ensure a low placing every time, but its fun!

samuri
    Free Member

Interesting… So if someone who’d never raced before but who was reasonably fit without being a full on whippet turned up to say: http://cxne.org.uk/events/2013-14-round-2-ponteland/

Would they end up dead last, dribbling in after everyone else had buggered off home?

You’d be far more likely to finish last at a CX race than at an XC race. The pace from start to finish is astounding normally and it’s very unusual for any fat knackers to be there bimbling around. you’ll find yourself lined up alongside cat 2’s who are just keeping their legs turning in winter. Even if you’re a vet, the pace will be terrifying. The ‘set off fast and then slow down’ thing you see from beginners at XC races doesn;t seem to happen at CX races where it just keeps going for an hour at balls out speed.

Simon

Clothing: All the piccies I see of racing online seems to feature a lot of lycra. I don’t do lycra. Would I look (more of) a nob turning up to ‘race’ in 3/4 humvees and a loose top?

I’ve taken part in Brownbacks races in baggies, so did loads of other folk.

Northwind

There’s so many sorts of races too. I don’t think I’d do a full on XC race but longer endurance xc racing is seriously open to all… I got the impression at 10 Under the Ben that a decent part of the field had never ridden a bike before in fact 😉

Then, there’s also the enduro style races- takes the timing out of the climbs so it’s all about the descents. I love these things personally, more sociable, generally better quality riding, but they’re not easy. Arguably more open to “sport” riders but higher skill levels required to ride the courses effectively.

End of the day, if slow people didn’t race, there wouldn’t be many races…

The-Beard

Anyone can race and the best bit of it is even if the whippets disappear off up the trail in a blast of smoke you’ll quickly find yourself with others of a similar ability. Then you get to duke it out with them over a few laps which is incredibly good fun and really quite addictive!

Plus it’s a really good excuse for new bike bits…

Brownbacks
    Free Member

Yes, come to our race in September. You’ll love it, and that’s a guarantee.

GDRS

Do it. Enjoy it.

Let the whipets go. Let the MAMILs go. And and then a natural selection of sorts takes place, and your race will be with the other people that you end up clustered with, who funnily enough are a lot like you……or like me. Baggies, Hydration packs not bottles, flapjacks not energy gels, Riser bars not flats – and a wife and small child watching in the trees somewhere!

Or……buy a singlespeed – and wait for the non-race that is SSUK – (or if that falls on it’s arse – join the non-competative group ride in Dorset organised splendidly by Mr C Bikemonger this last year).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Can slow people race?’ is closed to new replies.