Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Can I have a go mister? E-Bike
  • nealglover
    Free Member

But it also doesn’t mean that people should make up silly reasons why eBiking is better

Just so you know, the text you quoted was someone attempting to be humorous and having a dig at anyone that rides e-bikes.

It was not an e-bike user “making up silly reasons why e-biking is better”

Personally, I don’t need to make up reasons why e-biking is better.

Its got me out of the Car/Train commute everyday, it’s getting me fitter as I was previously doing nothing, but now I’m doing over 500 miles/month (on an e-bike, but still way better than nothing)

I am getting to work faster and happier than I was on the Train/Car commute. I’m never late anymore due to crap Northern Rail services. My monthly Bills have reduced as I no longer pay for £80 Season Ticket and £120 fuel every month.

It has also made me more enthusiastic about weekend non- ebike miles as I am enjoying riding more and I’m fitter and happier due to my commute changes.

People can give it all the negativity they want, and I’ll just smile and enjoy the ride. 👍

”it’s a bike with a motor so it’s a motorbike… whine whine whine”

who cares 🤪

daern
    Free Member

Just so you know, the text you quoted was someone attempting to be humorous and having a dig at anyone that rides e-bikes.

Ah, my bad then – my irony filter sometimes fails to detect such things 🙂

Being clear, I’m not in any way being negative about eBikes. I’m pretty cool with them and, as far as I’m concerned, if they are getting people out riding that perhaps wouldn’t normally go out then they are a good thing, and if it gets people out of cars, that’s an even better thing. Also, there’s nothing more satisfying than keeping up with one on a technical climb when you haven’t got batteries yourself. <smug_mode>

Biking is always a good thing, whatever you do 🙂

GeForceJunky

I love my Levo so much but one big problem I’ve found is so does the misses, so I’ve had to order another! Gone for a Merida this time. I’m the fittest I’ve ever been due to riding much more often. Managed a 100km XC ride on Saturday, wouldn’t even dream of doing that on a normal bike in the Cotswold.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Never been on one, but i am fully open to the idea of them. How do they perform going downhill? I imagine they might be a bit cumbersome or too weighty. Is this true?

nealglover
    Free Member

I imagine they might be a bit cumbersome or too weighty. Is this true?

Not really, they are a bit different, but not in a particularly negative way, personally I found it easy to get used to the differences. Although I’m no DH god.

tjagain

I found the extra weight limiting downhill.   Mine is a conversion tho and I like light bikes

angeldust
    Free Member

I don’t own an e-bike.  I might in the future, but not any time soon.  I have no ill feelings to anyone that decides to buy and ride one.  I get the feeling some people that are dead against them are rather worried they won’t be ‘fast’ anymore, and will get overtaken more often.  Grow up :-).

johnw1984
    Free Member

I regularly ride with friends who exclusively ride ebikes. Me and the missus are quite a bit fitter than said friends though, so it makes it a great even ride. Some steep climbs they say “we’ll meet you at the top!” though 🙂

I love riding them, so much fun and different to a normal bike. They are like anything though, you get out what you put in. If I had one, it’d probably live in eco mode and I’d be stomping up climbs like a madman!

I live in a flat town and the closest hills are too far away to ride after work. I reckon if I had some nice big hills on my doorstep, I’d have one. Would love to do 10+ miles of big hills out of the door after work a few days a week, then do a more epic ride at the weekends.

Bottom line, who cares how they are used? It doesn’t affect me one bit. If someone want’s to do a flat 10 miles in turbo one day a week, it’s still 10 more miles on a bike instead of 0 miles on a couch.

It’s the same people who moan whenever a manufacturer shows off some new tech, like they’re being forced to buy it or something!

If I move closer to some big hills, I’d seriously consider one alongside some sort of XC whippet bike.

GeForceJunky

Downhill they are fine. Ebike is 50lb, DH bike is 41lb so the difference isn’t massive. Trying to whip it is where you feel the weight! They are very stable and want to keep going in a straight line.

pickle
    Free Member

would love to have a go on one, I honestly think they’re the future and in a few years time the tech will be so good they’ll look like ‘normal’ bikes.

I don’t have one but if my recent cancer treatment doesn’t go to plan, I could be selling my two bikes and getting one if it helps me continue cycling.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Have to admit I don’t like being passed by them when I’m slogging up a hill, I always think ‘cheat’ in my head, but I don’t hate them, I think it’s more about the surprise of someone passing so easily when I’m in my lowest gear struggling and pouring with sweat. But I still like the challenge of getting up the hills under my own power. I’m still getting up the same hills I was 30 years ago, but what I can’t do now is do the same the next day. I have an active job, on my feet all day moving heavy materials and working machinery. 2 hours out of the day is just getting to work including half drive half cycle. So it’s difficult to maintain fitness/recovery/tiredness, I’m worn out by the weekend. The guy on the bike I had a go on was riding offroad from Brighton to Eastbourne on the lowest setting, he was seeing how far he could get out of a charge, he was about 2/3rds of the way and charge was at 49%. It’s further than I could have rode that day, and he could probably ride again the next. My thoughts are keep my normal bikes but have an ebike for when I’m needing the assistance, I didn’t ride yesterday becuse I’m tired and aching from the weekend riding, if I had the ebike I could have gone for a quick 10 mile spin yesterday – seems a shame not to in this weather. I think this is what I’ll be doing in a few years time.

ryder
    Free Member

in a few years time the tech will be so good they’ll look like ‘normal’ bikes.

Sooner than you think…Jan 2019

seosamh77
    Free Member

tjagain

I found the extra weight limiting downhill.   Mine is a conversion tho and I like light bikes

Mine works out at 21.5kg on the button, so ebike wise that’s not bad at all, could have gone lighter, but i want the range, so 850wh battery in there! 🙂

Handling with, tbh it just feels like my bike on steriods, on really techy stuff though, it’s going to take a bit of getting used to, need to up my strength a bit there. But that’s more just down to me needing to strengthen up a bit in general.

stevemtb
    Free Member

The sparky wiring up my garage spotted mine and we had a good chat about bikes. Gave him a shot of it, apprentice went first and came back saying yeah it’s fast but wasn’t the usual grin there. Main man went next and was way less polite, told me straight it was worse than a normal bike and didn’t seem to be working. Battery wasn’t engaged properly so there was no assistance and apprentice was too polite to say 🙂

Got it working and he had a go when he came back to finish a few bits and pieces and had the usual reaction. Also fixed my hoover in exchange for a couple of 26″ QR wheels I’d have never used!

Don’t mind giving people a shot but “mates” are the worst. One of mine had a shot at the bottom of a big hill and used it to the top keeping just out of grabbing range as I pedalled his normal bike up!! Kept coming back down then diving away through the heather too, it was exactly what I’d have done if roles were reversed.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

In reply to hodgynd and nealglover.

As so often happens, I read something on my phone and wanted to make a reply.  Once the enormity of the challenge of writing something lucid and insightful on this piece of shit samsung had sunk in, I lost interest, and posted it as it was. I then realised that if I couldn’t be bothered to phrase it properly then I’d be better off deleting it completely.  So I did.

..dickhead

Ouch.

takisawa2

I like to imagine that the posters who leap to post derogatory comments about ebikes, & ebike riders, are the same ones who leap to post about their puritanical debt free lifestyles whenever there is any form of credit or borrowing related thread. 🙂

It’s all bikes, & that’s cool with me.

nealglover
    Free Member

I then realised that if I couldn’t be bothered to phrase it properly then I’d be better off deleting it completely.  So I did.

It wasn’t the phrasing that made you look like a bit of a tool.

It was the content.

Hope that helps.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Neal.

Either engage in the debate or don’t. Throwing random insults around just makes you look like…

… well, you basically.

nealglover
    Free Member

I did “engage in the debate” by replying to the post you actually made. As did others.

But then you bottled out and deleted it and later made a lame excuse about grammatical errors or whatever.

Deleting posts after people have replied to them, and then asking people to “engage in the debate”

Ironing? 🤔

colp

That Lapierre ^ is lovely.

Found your source of the info

https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/2019-lapierre-ezesty-and-more-at-eurobike-day-2.1018/

Looks an amazing bike, not a huge battery power but could be perfect for the occasional boost up the hills.

StuE
    Free Member

I have just got  a Vitus e sommet, it’s a lot of fun and puts a big smile on my face, isn’t that why we ride bikes?

rOcKeTdOg

I have just got  a Vitus e sommet, it’s a lot of fun and puts a big smile on my face, isn’t that why we ride bikes?

yes definately, almost as entertaining as reading as non ebikers are hating and ebikers justifying.

at the end of the day it’s just riding, i ride with a ebiker, i’ve learnt not to keep up with him and h’e learnt to hang back on the climbs 🙂

Lester
    Free Member

went to wales last week with a few mates

llandegla
    penmachno
    climachx trail Macynletth
    coed y Brenan the beast and the purple trail and others
    snowdon twice, up LLanberis and down rangers and telegraph hill

i took my ebike and my pivot mach 6
    first day earnt my ebike miles on the pivot
    2nd day on the ebike
    i alternated to earn my e bike miles and to see what difference if any. i used the ebike on the trails with lots of “boring” fire roads.

Went up snowdon riding a little and pushing a lot on my pivot, took ages and riding down i was knackered and more prone to making silly mistakes.
    2nd time up snowdon i rode the turbo levo, rode up and cleaned nearly everything except the steps on llanberis path, was still knackered but not in my legs. felt much better on the way down, but the heavier e bike wasnt as good as the long travel pivot.
    im planning to snowdon twice in one day on the ebike, something i wouldnt consider on a normal bike.

i have been able to clean lots more stuff than i have ever done on the ebike, and its great to have that feeling rather than not doing it on the ebike, because its cheating.

to put it in context im 66 and still ride with mates 2 or 3 times a week, i use the ebike only when im knackered
    (i start work at 6:00am) last year i had 2 concussions and full width rotator cuff tear, all falls towards the end of the ride when i am tired and tend to make mistakes.

i do more miles on my normal bike, so always feel that i have “earned” my ebike miles when i use it.

and my experience say:
    ebike miles at pace ARE a work out i ride much quicker and am out of breadth nearly all of a 2-3 hour ride, but my legs seem ok, until the next day when i feel it!

normal bike miles are still a work out but im not out of breadth my legs go first.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden an e-bike and I don’t want to.

Mostly because I already know I would want one after I had.

adsh
    Free Member

I’m an old git who happens to think that good things are the result of hard work so I fundamentaly dislike the whole premise of e bikes for the abled.

I don’t view mtb as a vehicle for the fitness of the nation and I have no desire to see hoards of e bikers enjoying the trails.

I’m  perfectly happy with mtb as a niche sport requiring fitness that is going to be too tough/time consuming for some to do. There are many other sports to choose from.

z1ppy

well you best take one up adsh, as e-bike are here to stay

adsh
    Free Member

I’ll just use them to increase the number of things i have to sneer/feel superior about.

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone want to ride up this without a motor helping?

cobrakai

I don’t have one but don’t have anything against them. If it gets folks out cycling it’s great.

Just a different perspective though.

How long until ramblers groups etc, start questioning whether they are motorized transport and start arguing about bridleway usage etc?

Do you think they’ll start affecting mtb access in the countryside?

Being a sweaty sock daan saarf I think countryside access is bad enough.

hodgynd
    Free Member

adsh…

I’m not really sure if you were being serious on your last post

😁

..but if you were you sound like a right knob

singlespeedstu

I don’t view mtb as a vehicle for the fitness of the nation and I have no desire to see hoards of e bikers enjoying the trails.

I’m  perfectly happy with mtb as a niche sport requiring fitness that is going to be too tough/time consuming for some to do. There are many other sports to choose from.

As you don’t get to choose who does or doesn’t ride maybe the best solution for you would be to to take your own last piece of advice.

You could try road riding.

Quite a few of them seem to share your selfish attitude.

Or how about golf that seems to be liked by tossers.😜

adsh
    Free Member

Parody.

My views are my views – out of step with most but unlikely to change. Enjoy your bike whatever it is

sirromj

So if you’re not advocating MTB or E-MTB to people you’re a tosser? Cool.

_tom_
    Free Member

Have to say I’ve been interested in one for commuting as it might make cycling 30 miles each way more of a reality, does anyone do similar? do they all still top out at 15mph assist or are there quicker ones now ?

For MTB I don’t really get the appeal at all, that sort of thing is for fun, just doesn’t seem right not doing it all under your own steam for some reason.

rOcKeTdOg

do they all still top out at 15mph assist or are there quicker ones now ?

Currently the 15.5mph restriction is on in the UK unless you want to void your warranty and break the law or register the bike, insure it as a motor vehicle, wear a motorcycle standard helmet and not ride it on cyclepaths or bridleways & pay the relevant fees.

Loads of people near me have “derestricted” ebikes including a customer who gets his ebike to 35mph with a twist and go style bike, no pedalling needed all from an eBay kit. It’s all bolted to a BSO and the wiring gets super hot. Got canti brakes on it too 🤔

sniffy
    Free Member

Spent the last 20 years riding around the peaks, at least once a week, usually three ups and three downs in a night, I had some time of last year and struggled to keep up with the rest when I got back on the bike and ended up with a Levo turbo. Now manage 4 ups and downs and deviations in-between in the same time, mainly in eco so get a decent workout and ask for more on the big ups that I always struggled with and can now clear. 3 hours ride and it still hurts a bit the next day but the smile is now much wider. 59 this this year, still staying with the youngsters/whippets and havin as much, if not more fun

No brainer really

grenosteve
    Free Member

_tom,  I don’t go as far as that, 11ish miles each way, but I have a trek hybrid e-bike that I use 2/3 days a week, unless I want a work out and I take the normal bike.

Being honest, it’s **** great!  I was always on the fence with e-bikes, but now I see there’s no need to be.  It’s strange how you think that you’ll lose some sense of pride etc.. from getting a bit of help with pedalling a bike around, but actually it’s just as much fun as any other bike (fun, isn’t that the reason most of us ride?), and who the hell doesn’t want to go up hills faster/easier?

I cant stress enough how nice it’s been in this hot weather to ride to work across hilly Sheffield, in the sun, wearing normal clothes, and arrive to and from work with only a slightly sweaty forehead!  I’d have got sweatier on the motorbike than on the e-bike.

I don’t think people should feel they need an excuse/reason to get an e-bike, and I hope eventually people who chose to not have one can be more welcoming.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Can I have a go mister? E-Bike’ is closed to new replies.