Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Can I be scammed by being PAID by bank transfer??
  • DrP

I’m selling a watch (on FB market place!! All the LOLZ!!).

OF course, i’ve had my fair share of scammers paying by paypal (but they just send a fake ‘you’ve got funds’ email!) and I string them along a bit..

Got someone (chatting now) wanting to pay by bank transfer..

As in..they get my bank account number, and pay ME by transfer…
    Then I post the watch to them (in London..)

Can i be scammed this way??!!!

DrP

Kryton57

in London

I live here, and have a pair of Bombers somewhere if you need that level of service later.

DrP

I’d be looking for the whole package… wee..shoes…frozen sausages…

DrP

Kryton57

I’ll check the freezer for the sausages, but I have a cat that can fulfil the rest 😀

I can’t really help with the OP other than I think its almost impossible for a third party to remove your balance with account number and sort code only. I may be corrected shortly.

DrP

I think its almost impossible for a third party to remove your balance with account number and sort code only.

This is my understanding too.
    Our bank details are available to ANYONE we’ve paid money to, and are on our cards.

Can i be paid, then the money ‘recalled’ is my question I guess!

DrP

DrP

Anyway..it appears it’s likely turning into another scam!! They’re asking for me email address!

DrP

MSP

I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that a transfer can be recalled before it is credited to your account, but once you can see it the bank can’t remove it without seeking your permission (or going through a legal process).

Is it Jeremy Clarkson?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Is it your cat that s***s in my garden?

No I don’t believe you can be scammed if being paid. When I sold a submariner though I met the guy, he traveled from Manchester, he saw the watch, he checked it, we went to Rolex at James, we exchanged photo Id and addresses and exchanged letters to say I’d sold it to him blah blah. He paid and we went together to w bank to check the funds were in before I released the watch.

When I bought a Tudor, I paid via my phone app (sat in the sellers garden with a cup of tea) he confirmed on his phone app the funds appeared, I left with the watch. 15 minutes later he calls as funds pulled out again! I spend a day talking to my bank to convince them it wasn’t fraud and put the money back or the retired police super would bring a while world of pain my way! Thankfully he was very understanding!

DrP

So anyway….
    Fret not…
    I’ve had the classic “Once I send payment you will receive an alert confirmation email from the bank about my payment x”

Like an email is going to do it for me!!

DrP

DrP

“You should have the money in your account ending in ****4562 by today, May 20 as soon as the postage receipt has been uploaded to our data base.

“You will only be credited with the total payment of £3,470.00 GBP as soon as you send the full tracking receipt with a short proof of postage to the wise bank email so you can now receive funds”

Sigh…. ignore the OP!!

Time to string along another scammer whilst signing prescriptions!!!

DrP

bruneep

why not send a block of wood?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Plenty things worse than a block of wood that fit into a box….

DrP

i’m actually trying to convince them i’ve got no money to pay for postage, but can’t get any money ‘released’ until i post it..catch 22..
    Trying to see if they can ACTUALLY transfer me £19, THEN i can post it, and then i’ll refund them the £19!!!

I even made a package to make them think i’m real!

DrP

Cougar

Bloody hell, how big are your wrists?

DrP

Pah…not playing ball…

But i’ve got a tracking number to send them…

DrP

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Brilliant 🤣🤣

robola

I think you’ve mixed that up with a prescription for impotence.

DrP

oh. they never play ball for too long…

DrP

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^😂😂😂😂😂😂

johndoh
    Free Member

No wonder none of us can get doctor’s appointments…

DrP

multitasking!!!
    😉

DrP

jeffl

Brilliant

DrP

I normally respond to scammers with a picture of a huge dildo (but…NSFW on here) asking if they want the pink or black one…
    Brings me a little joy!

DrP

funkmasterp

I want you as my GP. This is great

matt_outandabout

Superb trolling DrP.

IHN

To answer the original question – probably not. If you give someone your sortcode and account number, about the worst they can do is set up a Direct Debit, for which you’re covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee anyway.

I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that a transfer can be recalled before it is credited to your account, but once you can see it the bank can’t remove it without seeking your permission (or going through a legal process).

If it’s a Faster Payment, it can’t be recalled. The sending bank can attempt to claim the money back, but to do that they’d need to be convinced that it had been fraudulently (i.e. that their customer had been scammed into sending the money), and the receiving bank would have to confirm that their customer wasn’t being scammed out of the money by sending it back.

ta11pau1

Hacked/stolen account I’m guessing, they seem to have moved from Arkansas (only her though, not her husband) and now live in Luton, Bedfordshire, or maybe Luton, Devon. Also they studied “At Luton”…

Hmmmm. 🤣

K

Someone at the local paddle club sold an item on Facebook with bank transfer, the transaction then resulted in funds later being removed and all their accounts and cards being frozen while for weeks while they were investigating. So yes potentially you could get screwed by being paid by bank transfer.

bruneep

You sir are not a Dr that handwriting is legible. I put it to you that you are the fraudster and scammer in this.

IHN

Someone at the local paddle club sold an item on Facebook with bank transfer, the transaction then resulted in funds later being removed and all their accounts and cards being frozen while for weeks while they were investigating. So yes potentially you could get screwed by being paid by bank transfer.

I’d be interested to know the details of this because it sounds like there must be more to it.

There are two methods of ‘Bank Transfer’ for money between UK bank accounts – Faster Payment (which is the method used when you send a direct payment to someone in your online banking/banking app), and CHAPS (which is the method used typically to send large amounts like house sale funds/mortgage funds, and there’s fee for it). It is very, very unlikely that, in either case, funds could be reversed/reclaimed without the knowledge or agreement of the person who initially received them.

[and before someone says “what about BACS”, that’s not a thing anymore (at least not for person to person payments), it’s been replaced by Faster Payments]

antigee

^^^I have an account which I transfer money in/out to meet activity rules but doesn’t have any real income or essential outgoings I use this for receiving or paying for odd FB or Gumtree items I just use the app to check funds been recvd…if ever gets suspended no problems

DrP

i used one of my spare accounds for the banking details. never has money going in or out, either…

DrP

montgomery
    Free Member

At Christmas I had a random week’s wages paid into my account by a company I worked for six years ago. I just waited to see what would happen – and a few days later it vanished, without any communication! A week later I got a letter from the bank saying I could contest it (I didn’t, of course). Different circumstances to the OP, but it seems money can be taken out of your account without your permission…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

past the timeframe now, so i can state a risk, aka Check its cleared.

worked for a supermarket circa 2005 i had a boss who authorised the despatch of £15k of champagne from a store. essentially the customer would deposit the monies into a group bank account, once cleared/authorised, the branch manager would be informed and customer could come and collect.

the cheeky rascal desposited a cheque at his local bank branch, my boss, checked the bank account and approved.

later that day, i was reconciling the bank account, i asked my boss, what this cheque was that had been deposited, he told me the champagne info, i said i thought he was transfering cash, this is a cheque, it’ll probably bounce.. it did..

leffeboy

Thank you for that.  Proper real LOLs with your receipts.  These people make life horrible.  You have superb skills at staying calm and ripping the piss

mattyfez

It always seems to boil down to ‘send the item’ before they send the money in one way or another.

At which point you can kiss goodbye to your item.

footflaps

No wonder none of us can get doctor’s appointments…

🙂

However, if you feign interest in buying an enormous watch, you’ll be seen right away……

avdave2

My kids seem to be able to scam me into making bank transfers..

pandhandj
    Free Member

i used one of my spare accounds for the banking details. never has money going in or out, either…

DrP

Your bank’s AML/transaction monitoring investigators just got a Dormant Account alert cause of you. 🤣🤣🤣

robbie
    Free Member

I’ve had an experience where someone paid me for an item I was selling on gumtree. Funds were in my account and I was going to drop it off rather than post as was only 20 miles away. But decided to send it with dpd tracked.
    Forward on a couple of days and I got a call from the bank saying my account had been frozen as they had had a report that I had received fraudulent funds. Turns out the buyer contacted his bank and said he hadn’t Recieved goods. He lied to his bank and told them it was a completely different item he had bought. I had proof of delivery with a pod. I had the add still active and I sent them all the messages to prove he was lying about what he bought. It took a few days to sort but went in my favour. If I had hand delivered it it could have been a very different outcome. So if you are posting anything in future you must use a tracked and signed service. I know they are more expensive but it’s not worth the risk not to.
    Beware scammers everywhere

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.