Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Can I be scammed by being PAID by bank transfer??
  • DrP

erm…erm….ooh…..yuk..

THis one’s a right wrongun…. asking to message me via whatsapp!

DrP

scaredypants

Lolz indeedy !

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

🤣🤣🤣👍👍

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FB-ATB

I normally respond to scammers with a picture of a huge dildo (but…NSFW on here) asking if they want the pink or black one…
    Brings me a little joy!

Eww who wants to buy a dildo you’ve already used?

Freester

🤮🤮🤮

Cougar

There’s almost certainly a market for that.

caitlin555
    Free Member

They only need your account number and sort code to do that and with them details they can only send you money, hope this helped.

funkrodent

Little thread resurrection here.

I’ve got a frame for sale on here and Pinkbike. Gentleman from Spain has been in touch, willing to pay by bank transfer. Doesn’t have PayPal (I said PayPal gift or no dice). Notwithstanding the confirmation email bollix, can I get done with an international payment being recalled?

I suspect I already know the answer but would be great if anyone had any insight.

Cheers

tjagain

Paypal gift has no security for him.  I wouldn’t use it to buy from soeone I didn’t know

Cougar

(I said PayPal gift or no dice)

Good idea. If he agrees, you know you’re dealing with a quarterwit.

zilog6128

Yeah that makes you sound like the scammer tbh!

Cougar

Joking aside,

Is it worth the hassle and uncertainty? Is he the only prospective buyer on the planet? Unless it’s unique or special in some way, who on earth imports a used bike frame from the UK to Spain (post-brexit) off of Pinkbike? That’s not rational behaviour.

I have a high confidence that at some point during this transaction there will be some sort of problem with his bank account (maybe he’s in Algeria and his bank is French) and words such as “Western Union” will enter into the conversation. Possibly alongside words like “representative” or “clearance fee.”

It might be legit of course. But as ever, if you have to ask…

Cougar

And and,

Doesn’t have PayPal

Well, get Paypal, then. It’s not exactly challenging to set up an account and it might come in handy for someone who, I don’t know, as a random example, buys bike parts from foreign sellers. WTF kind of a lame-ass excuse is that? I don’t have biscuits.

dudeofdoom

Is it worth the hassle and uncertainty? Is he the only prospective buyer on the planet? Unless it’s unique or special in some way, who on earth imports a used bike frame from the UK to Spain (post-brexit) off of Pinkbike? That’s not rational behaviour.

Nah,I’ve had small stuff sent over from U.K. prepaid import duties and everything done correctly and it took two attempts.

Everything from U.K. to Spain ends up in Madrid nowadays(customs) and it’s a total ‘mare.

Jordan

Paypal gift has no security for him.  I wouldn’t use it to buy from soeone I didn’t know

Nor would I when I was trying to by an Ohlins spring off someone on facebook. To my surprise he just sent me the spring and I happily paid. I have also sold a few things on facebook where I have insisted on paypal gift, the buyers have been happy to send it after I send them links to publicly available info about me.

mattyfez

I’ve got a frame for sale on here and Pinkbike. Gentleman from Spain has been in touch

As above, this is pure insanity…the cost and faff doing transactions like this since a certain political event happened make it tottaly unviable. It’s 100% a scam.

It would be far, far cheaper for the ‘gentleman from Spain’ to source a domestic frame either new or from a Spanish seller if second hand. I belive Orbea for example are spanish, or at least have a big presence in spain.

Cougar

Nor would I when I was trying to by an Ohlins spring off someone on facebook. To my surprise he just sent me the spring and I happily paid. I have also sold a few things on facebook where I have insisted on paypal gift, the buyers have been happy to send it after I send them links to publicly available info about me.

This is why I don’t use Facebook Marketplace. It’s absolutely dripping with idiots. 😁

FBM offers no protection to anyone, it’s like sticking up a card in the supermarket. Paypal F&F is akin sending cash in a brown envelope and someone insisting on it should be a red flag. I could create a convincing sock puppet social media profile in an afternoon.

Jordan

I could create a convincing sock puppet social media profile in an afternoon

To qualify what I said, my photo and contact deets are available on an official local council web page and match my facebook profile.

oceanskipper

my photo and contact deets are available on an official local council web page and match my facebook profile.

You must get bombarded with unwanted shit from everywhere!

Cougar

I could create a convincing sock puppet social media profile in an afternoon

To qualify what I said, my photo and contact deets are available on an official local council web page and match my facebook profile.

To qualify what I said, that would likely take me an afternoon.

😁

This stuff is work, likely too much work for someone wanting to grift someone out of bike parts, but it’s not difficult.

Jordan

You must get bombarded with unwanted shit from everywhere!

I don’t actually, strange as it may seem.

funkrodent

Cheers all for your input.

I went down the PayPal gift route as I’ve heard stories of people paying with PayPal, claiming they’ve never received the goods and then getting a PayPal refund. Apparently PayPal tend to side with the buyer and it can be a real pita getting it sorted. More so if it’s across international borders.

Question still stands though, if someone pays direct into my bank account as an international transaction, is there any way they can get that cash back, thereby screwing me in the process. I’m au fait with all the release fee bollix 😃

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.