Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can cycling ever be “against the law”?
  • fatmountain
    Free Member

I cycled through a remote area near the Yorkshire Dales and when I got to the end it said ‘no cycling’, ‘no fires’, ‘no dogs’.

There was public access. I didn’t understand the no cycling ‘rule’ and didn’t see the sense of it, so I ignored it and will continue to do so.

So I wanted to know if you could get arrested for something like this? Or fined? Is a ‘no cycling’ sign a recommendation rather than law?

I understand something like this comes down to civil law, because it relates to property?

Any advice?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Trespass innit. Public access means on foot. Not that you should necessarily care.

nickjb
    Free Member

It is possible to get a local bylaw that prohibited cycling. Usually it is for high streets and the like. Unlikely out in the hills. Without an additional law it would just be a civil trespass matter (and pretty toothless)

mehr
    Free Member

and didn’t see the sense of it, so I ignored it and will continue to do so.

The Cummings defence

hols2
    Free Member

Can cycling ever be “against the law”?

It can be. Whether it is in this case, I don’t know.

Cougar

There are signs and then there are signs. Compare and contrast:

“NO CYCLING” – Yorkshire County Council.

“NO CYCLING” – Farmer Giles.

One is more likely to be backed up with a bylaw I would have thought. If it were trespass then it would apply equally whether you were on a bike or on foot.

nickjb
    Free Member

If it were trespass then it would apply equally whether you were on a bike or on foot.

Not if it is a footpath

ElShalimo

Then you also need to consider local H&S Policy which is oft quoted as law but is just an interpretation hence utter senseless crap.

Councils and companies often cite this.

jimw
    Free Member

There are bylaws in place on the Malvern Hills Trust land that does make it an offence (£500 fine etc.) to ride off the designated bridleways and a couple of permissive footpaths. Only a few paths have a No Cycling notice at each end. To my knowledge no one has ever been fined.

lister

It’s against the law to cycle on motorways I think?

thecaptain
    Free Member

If it were trespass then it would apply equally whether you were on a bike or on foot.

Not if it is a footpath

Or if it’s open access land as the OP said.

singlespeedstu

There are bylaws in place on the Malvern Hills Trust land that does make it an offence (£500 fine etc.)

I’ve seen similar signs in the Elan Valley.
    I’ve never seen anyone take any notice of them.

nickc

Trespass innit.

Aye, but it’s Tort (a civil offence) the only thing you can do is sue for damages. (and even then it might not be actionable if you didn’t know, or didn’t cause any damage).

access rights in this country are stupid

perchypanther
    Free Member

‘no cycling’, ‘no fires’, ‘no dogs’.

Draw attention away from your illicit cycling by simply setting fire to a dog.

maccruiskeen

hols2
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

‘no cycling’, ‘no fires’, ‘no dogs’.

was it and instruction or a statement of fact?

until you arrived it was true. There were non of those things. But once you arrived the sign needed to be updated to

One cyclist, but still no dogs or fires yet

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can cycling ever be “against the law”?’ is closed to new replies.