Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can anyone recommend me a ‘low rise’ gaming bed
  • dannybgoode

Not-so-babybgoode is making the move to the attic for his den/bedroom and we’ve promised him a gaming bed. I’ve seen loads which are bunk style with the desk etc beneath the bed however he has recently been diagnosed with epilepsy and we’ve been told a bunk style bed is not sensible.

Are there any ‘single story’ gaming type beds. I am sure we can knocl something up with a bit of imagination but a proper one would be better.

martinhutch

<Googles ‘gaming bed’>

Wall-E has come to pass!

Just looks like a normal bed with a normal L-shaped desk wrapped around it, given a name to bump up the price, bit like a ‘tactical’ torch.

dannybgoode

@martinhutch – you know that, I know that. But to a kid it matters and I don’t want the fact he has epilepsy mean he can’t have one. All the ones I have found via the power of google have been bunk style ones so was looking for a half decent non-bunk one.

And of course he thinks it’s a gaming bed. I know it is also somewhere he can do his homework and have a PC set up for the same as well as for gaming.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’ve just googled some images too, you have to admire people’s commitment to their cause. However, unless you can remain in it all day I’m not sure I want one. I think I’d need at least a urine bottle and hanger. Then a service bell would be nice. Perhaps a microwave or kettle.

spooky_b329

So is this a bed you can stay in whilst gaming, or a raised bed with a workdesk underneath?

If its a bed you stay in, you might be able to create one using one of those monitor arms and a shelf/storage unit, perhaps even one of those kits that means you can raise the head end of the mattress.

tomhoward

From google images, it does seem that the idea isn’t to stay in bed whilst gaming, it’s just a cooler marketing pitch than having a desk under your bed that you can do your homework on, which is how they were pitched when I was that age. More of a spacesaving idea than an integrated thing which doesn’t sound like an issue if he has the whole attic?

What specifically about the gaming bed is he wanting that can’t be provided by a regular bed and a dedicated desk setup, which will have more options?

dannybgoode

@tomhoward – absolutely nothing is gained from having a ‘gaming bed’ other than it’s a gaming bed and as encouragement to get him into the attic and thus make the whole house more useable for all of us we said he could have one.

Yeah sure we could push back and make do however I don’t want to tie the not having a gaming bed with him having epilepsy. It’s scaring him enough having seizures etc and I don’t want him to feel ‘punished’ for having it. Hence trying to find a solution I can at least pass off as a gaming bed.

@everyone
    else. Yes the idea is not for him to stay in bed and game but to have some sort of desk/bed combo at hugely inflated first world problem kind of prices.

gauss1777
    Free Member

It’s a puzzler this. It seems sensible for him not be be in a top bunk, I fell out of a top bunk when I was about 10 yrs old – that was not nice. Having him sleep below and game above, doesn’t sound at all practical. How old is he? Perhaps if he designed it himself he could get just what he wants.

zilog6128

There’s a couple on the link @faerie provided which aren’t as tall as a full on cabin bunk. Would one of those be low enough? Get the dark grey “tactical” one, couple of Fortnite stickers/vinyls, screw a monitor arm onto the side (maybe positionable so he can watch TV in bed too?), keyboard/tower/Xbox/controller/etc stowed in the furniture that slides out from underneath. Bling it with some cheap LED light strips for when it’s in “gaming mode”.

hols2
    Free Member

I think I’d need at least a urine bottle and hanger.

Old port flagons with a wide opening and a handle to hang it from the bed are what the pros look for.

null

dannybgoode

Yes some of those cabin beds look like they could work and then some led lighting. Will investigate further.

It’s on the advice of the epilepsy nurse that bunks are out so we’re following that. I think he’s probably ok in one but Mrs D wouldn’t sleep and his seizures at the moment are generally at night.

martinhutch

Yes some of those cabin beds look like they could work and then some led lighting. Will investigate further.

You could make it a summer project for the both of you. Build in speakers/subwoofers, LEDS, even a device for shock feedback…which might be helpful to get him up in the mornings.

dannybgoode

Thanks all for your help on this. After a bit of negotiating with the child (he had his heart set on a particular gaming bed) we have found a really nice cabin bed which he really likes the look of.

Some led strips etc and it’ll be perfect for him 🙂

gauss1777
    Free Member

Cool, I’m quite envious 😀

Saccades
    Free Member

I made one for #2 child, used the IKEA mattress spring thing and the rest lashed together from other cupboards from their troia range as steps etc?

Oh and some fine planed 4×4″ white deal.

Think the lower versions are called captain’s beds.

faerie
    Free Member

Aw, I feel for the wee dude but the cabin beds are cool. There’s generally a bit of space underneath behind the furniture for a den (sweet stash). My kids love them and they’re great if you have limited space. I hope you’ll all have sweet dreams

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone recommend me a ‘low rise’ gaming bed’ is closed to new replies.