Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Campsite Recommendations South Lakes
  • chevychase

Going in a couple of weeks, ostensibly to walk up Scafell Pike, but will be taking the bike. Hoping to find somewhere near Ambleside/Coniston/Hawkshead that isn’t going to be *absolutely rammed* with schoolkids.

I’d usually rock up somewhere like Low Wray but that’s going to be chock full. Anyone got any quieter ideas that are within, say, 45 minute walk of a good pub, bit quieter, basic facilities?

whitestone
    Free Member

Turner Hall. There’s a great pub just down (10mins walk) the road, Walna Scar starts/finishes a couple of minutes’ ride the other way. Used to be very basic but they have hot water in the toilet block these days!

jekkyl

not on your town list but there’s a basic one at the top of wastwater, Wasdale, run by the national trust iirc. There’s a great pub about 20 steps away and it’s at the base of a walk to Scafell Pike and is on the 4 passes route over to Ennerdale valley. That area does not get anywhere near the footfall that the rest of the lakes do as there’s no direct road from ambleside.

yes, here it is: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/wasdale-campsite

binners

Sod Ambleside/Coniston/Hawkshead in the summer! Everywhere will be overrun

I’d go here. Best campsite in the lakes, by a mile

It’s basic, but it’s out of the way, definitely won’t be packed with kids, and the location is absolutely stunning. there’s also a pub right next to it. All boxes ticked 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

@binners – fortunately the guy who used to run the pub there has left. Was only interested in “the right sort” eating/drinking there and that most definitely wouldn’t have included anyone camping. Didn’t even say “thanks” when I took mine and other glasses (just left outside by “the right sort”) in for him. A right miseryf***.

lowey

Jekkyl +1000.

Right at the foot of Scafell and Riton’s Bar in the hotel is a FINE purveyor of great ale and food.

martinhutch

Turner Hall.

This.

not on your town list but there’s a basic one at the top of wastwater, Wasdale, run by the national trust iirc. There’s a great pub about 20 steps away and it’s at the base of a walk to Scafell Pike and is on the 4 passes route over to Ennerdale valley. That area does not get anywhere near the footfall that the rest of the lakes do as there’s no direct road from ambleside.

Depends when you’re going, but beware the midnight minibuses disgorging dozens of noisy ***** doing the 3 peaks.

jekkyl

That bar at wasdale is proper nice, big wooden tables and a great selection of whiskys. **I love daydreaming about the lakes whilst at work.**
    If you walk down the lake (or cycle) there’s 2 pubs at the other end too!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

interested

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve always preferred the pubs at Nether Wasdale to the Wasdale Head Inn, there’s a campsite next to one of them as well.

jekkyl

Would the wastwater scree make a good cheeky flat ride do you reckon? 😉 bit more interesting than the road.

whitestone
    Free Member

Would the wastwater scree make a good cheeky flat ride do you reckon? bit more interesting than the road.

If your name’s Steve Peat! From memory there’s a few hands on bits to get over boulders.

lowey

I’ve always preferred the pubs at Nether Wasdale to the Wasdale Head Inn, there’s a campsite next to one of them as well.

Santon Bridge Inn. Campsite is next door.

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes there’s the one at Santon Bridge as well.

jekkyl

there’s a few hands on bits to get over boulders.

Waheyy! looks like fun. 😛

http://www.leaney.org/journal.php?id=936

chevychase

Definitely not Wasdale side. Ambleside/Hawkshead/Coniston side is the area (for a number of reasons – no.1 being that we’re doing Scafell from Langdale, not the short trip up from Wasdale).

Turner Hall looks interesting, thanks 🙂

el_boufador

@whitestone, was that the guy with the tats and the Wolverine pork chop sidies?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Wray castle always a good shout.

whitestone
    Free Member

@el_boufadour – dunno, it was about ten years ago.

el_boufador

Ah probably not him then, seeing as he’s about 25-30! He’s quite, er, odd, though. Had a bit of a passive aggressive go at a female friend I was in there with. Then was as polite as anything with me. Some issues going on I think!

Anyway don’t go to stonethwaite campsite. It’s awful. Move along, nothing to see. 😉

el_boufador

Other staff are fine and the food, although a bit expensive is plentiful and good-ish

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Campsite Recommendations South Lakes’ is closed to new replies.