Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Camping Reccomendations – Scotland
  • robbo1234biking

We are thinking of heading up to Scotland camping this summer holiday. There will be three of us (Mrs, Jr – Age 5 and myself).

I have been to Fort William a few times so considering that area but wouldn’t want to go any further North due to driving time (driving up from Derby) and we will have a week (possibly 8 days). Would prefer to base ourselves in one place but could be open to the option of moving half way through the week.

We love the Lakes and like the option of going to Forest Parks etc. Little one loves a play park and being outside. The Mrs will like the opportunity to relax somewhere beautiful whilst reading a book. Needs to be some local attractions to help entertain the little one but not looking for whole day affairs.

Doubt there will be room in the car for the bike so biking not necessarily required (there are other times in the year for biking!).

What can you recommend?

We have done a lot of areas in England and Wales so looking for somewhere different this year.

BoardinBob

Glen Nevis at Fort William is my favourite proper campsite. Clean, good facilities, tranquil and beautiful location

joshvegas
    Free Member

Dumfries and Galloway or Arran if west. Lunan Bay area if east.

what_tyres
    Free Member

You have just described Aviemore…

joshvegas
    Free Member

to be fair he’s described a large chunk of scotland.

towzer

I’m with josh Vegas but we also liked Peebles area

We loved rockcliffe and kippford area – quiet, scenery, beaches, forest drives and parks not too far but not sure on junior options in area

Ps probably less midges on coast got mugged in glentrool. forest park site

joshvegas
    Free Member

Never think about peebles as a holiday point. Just think of it as home. But actually it does fit the bill…

pyranha

Glenmore campsite outside Aviemore is great with a small child – it’s in the forest and on a beach (Loch Morlich) so there’s plenty to do without driving anywhere. They used to have ranger-led children’s activities too.

In/near Aviemore there’s a steam railway, Landmark activity park, a history park, a pool etc

Otherwise, Dumfriesshire is generally quieter than Aviemore – I don’t know of a site quite as convenient once you’re there, but it’s a shorter drive for you to get ther (2 hours?) which might work. Places like Otterpool are, again, fun with small children.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ah summer…

…Midges….

…Your wife won’t be sitting outside reading in Arran!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Peebles

joshvegas
    Free Member

Not a campsite in peebles that i’d recommend though. Rossetta is a riot these days from what i can see.

East Neuk of fife would fit i reckon. Coastal paths, chainwalk, loads of beaches little villages. Boat trip to the isle of may for puffins. St andrews for a day. History up to cold war. Ferry trip to North Berwick for icecream.

blitz

Comrie Croft?

Stayed there last summer with wife and 5 & 8 year old girls. Great site. Obviously you’ve got the trails there on the doorstep so if you did take a bike, you can easily fit in a quick ride without affecting family time and the trails are superb!

We also did some lovely walks. Nice walk of a few miles up to Melville’s monument has superb views.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Brighouse Bay campsite is fantastic, on the solway coast in dumfries. About 20 mins from kirkcudbright with great chippies and a decent superstore so not too remote.

Campsite is just beside a lovely beach, has 2 decent playparks, several fishing ponds, some blue mtb trails and a small indoor pool.

Been 3 times and would happily go again, also windy so few midge.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah summer…

…Midges….

…Your wife won’t be sitting outside reading in Arran!

Not strictly true, been going to Arran, at least 3 or 4 times a year for days, weekends and usually have a week there every year too, since I was a bairn. I can count on one hand the amount of times we’ve had days like that.

rene59
    Free Member

Glenmore is good if expensive, Aviemore area as a whole will suit your requirements.

robbo1234biking

Some great ideas thanks. Will get busy looking at some of the suggestions.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Not strictly true, been going to Arran, at least 3 or 4 times a year for days, weekends and usually have a week there every year too, since I was a bairn. I can count on one hand the amount of times we’ve had days like that.

Because it was raining all the other times?

My experience involves bivvying with no smidge or net in July… In the forest between whiting bay and lamlash maybe, you’ll know the spot . Big plateau bit slightly raised from forest track with a pucnicbench. Might even be you what recommend ed it…

Hadt to go bear grylls with some bog myrtle scrubbed on my face.

locum76
    Free Member

My first reccomndation for camping in Scotland is be sure to leave no trace.

An answer more akin to what you were really asking is to try Loch Morlich near Aviemore. There’s wild camping options and a paid campsite if you’d prefer it. There are FC toilets for all and water sports. Aviemore is a mountain bikers wet dream in summer and… The list is endless.

Aviemore is a little further for you than Fort William but since the latter is likely to involve a journey, to and fro, through Glencoe Aviemore will be a much more pleasant drive. Glencoe can be nose to tail 10mph traffic in the summer holiday season.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Because it was raining all the other times?

Another myth!, the rain here is incredibly localised, the difference is incredible just 10 miles inland, and 10 miles north, compared to what I get in Prestwick frinstance. Lamlash tends to get a wee squall in the morning, you can see it coming up the valley, but it generally doesn’t last long.

Aye, I know that spot, Giants graves, braw.

The worst midges I’ve ever had on Arran was at the very summit of Goatfell, Mayday weekend last year, but everyone knows you don’t get midges at 2900ft… Haha!

locum76
    Free Member

Comrie Croft just seems a bit too busy these days.

oldtennisshoes

Don’t go to Loch Morlich, the camp site managers are miserable gits and the midges will eat you alive.

locum76
    Free Member

Wild camping on the beach at Loch Morlich is awesome though. We did it last year with daughters who are 5 and 8.

scotroutes

“Wild camping” on the beach at Loch Morlich

Where’s the rolling-eyes icon?

🙂

locum76
    Free Member

Call it what you want but the point is we had a lovely time camping like that last year.

nbt

https://www.barnsoulcaravanpark.co.uk/

We did a week at barnsoul between Dumfries and Castle Douglas. Seems to fit your requirements quite well

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We went to Sandyhills campsite near Dalbeattie a few years ago and had a good holiday. Bit of beach, play area for the little one. Kippford and Rockcliffe are really good too. Had a good day at Caerlaverock castle, lots of activities for the kids. Cream of Galloway if you like ice cream. Comrie is good but I’ve only been outside summer months, the lower meadow can be a bit of a scrum even then. I’ve had mixed experiences camping at Aviemore. If I was you I’d probably go to Dumfries and save yourself a load of driving.

CraigW
    Free Member

Arisaig. Campsite right next to the beach, great views across to the Small Isles. You can take a day trip to the Small Isles. Steam train passing by.

duncancallum

Lochgiliped and the loch fynne area us lovely

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Another vote for Aviemore and Glenmore Campsite. The managers (FC) were lovely when we were there, unlike at Rothiemurchus along the road.

campalumpa
    Free Member

Rothiemurchus campsite just outside Aviemore

They have midge eaters, they dont ask you to pay in full at time of booking and then not give refundsif you cancel (which Loch morlich one does). It is small and safe for kids to be feral and you can disappear off into the woods on your bike from the tent. Doesnt get much sunshine though as in woods and no dogs in camping area

Or – if you can manage with just a portaloo and a cold tap then tiny Ardtoe campsite on the ardnamurchan peninsular. It is next to small white sand beaches that are safe for swimming/coasteering/kayaking. If you are desperate for a proper shower then you can drive about 20 mins to the boatyard at Salen. We went for 2 nights and stayed a week.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I booked the Rothiemurchus campsite months in advance and had forgotten that they’d asked what time we would be there. After about 8 or 9 hours on the bike we got a call to ask where we were, it was about 7.30pm. We were up the road at the ski centre car park and were just packing up so said we would be there in ten minutes. Arrived at the campsite, nobody there. After wondering around for a bit a grumpy bloke appeared and started moaning that we should have been there at 4pm. You need a key card or the like for the gate. What really annoyed me was that friends of ours were also staying and they’d told them it’d be after nine before they got there and they were fine with that. To calm him down I offered to let them in with our key and send them round in the morning to pay etc. Then we went in to Aviemore for food and the chippy was already closed. The guys at the Italian were great and talked into having the buffet even though we must have looked and smelled a bit ripe after a loop of the Cairngorms. So Aviemore has its ups and downs in my experiences.

rene59
    Free Member

So Aviemore has its ups and downs in my experiences.

Well it is an area famed for it’s mountains…

hodgynd
    Free Member

Craig W has it ..Arisaig ..fantastic area,superb beaches ..but it is a little further North than you intended

Spin
    Free Member

Comrie Croft = hippy dippy pish.

joshvegas
    Free Member

But the cafe is superb

Spin
    Free Member

To add insult to injury it was shut when I got there!

scotroutes

we went in to Aviemore for food and the chippy was already closed

There are 3 chippies in Aviemore.

robbo1234biking

Cheers gents some good suggestions. Will have a look at the options.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Camping Reccomendations – Scotland’ is closed to new replies.