Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Campervan camping in the Alps
  • paulevans
    Free Member

Afternoon all

I’m thinking of taking the family on a 2 1/2 week trip next year to The Alps in the campervan. I’ve been to Morzine and Les Gets loads of times with the lads on mountain biking long weekends, but I’ve never taken notice of what camping sites/facilities there are in those areas. I’ve also been to Bourg Saint Maurice, but for some reason I’m not overly keen on going back!

The wish list is for a nice site with good facilities including a pool, or very easy access to one, on site shop and close enough to the town to either walk or cycle to. We would also need a range of activities to do with the kids – light cycling, walking, rafting etc…. We’d rather a more family orientated site as opposed to one with large groups of lads/ladettes.

Probably looking to go mid/end July or very early August.

Anyone got any suggestions? It doesn’t need to be only Morzine or Les Gets – these are just the two places that I’m most familiar with.

Ta.

timidwheeler
    boardsi
    Free Member

Lake annecy

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Camping le Plan at Allemont.

trail_rat
    Free Member

annecy is expensive and crass even to camp ! Did not enjoy.

Camping le plan is nice site.

The camp site on the RHS at the foot of the alpe dhuez is nice and bourg d osain is plenty fine place.

ads678

+1 for Samoens and camping le giffre.
    Doesn’t actually have its own pool but you get free entry to the municipal one next door.
    Beautiful place.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

New, newish, old, older campvan ???

Drive away awning ?

Sharing the driving ???

jonnyyeti
    Free Member
    wallop

It’s a shame you feel like that about Bourg Saint Maurice – on paper it ticks all your boxes.

There’s another campsite a little closer to Landry (and therefore closer to the rafting) that might be worth checking out.

Tignes is good for kids too.

paulevans
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys, Samoens sounds interesting.

Unfitgeezer – it’s a newish VW California with a drive away awning. I’d be doing all the driving (most likely). Why do you ask?

timidwheeler

Samoens sounds interesting.

We stayed last year. I wasn’t blown away by the downhill mountain biking but there were some good easy XC routes including this path which is accessed straight from the site through a gate, so totally offroad. This photo was taken two minutes from our pitch.

The site has a small shop and there are a few shops next door including a boulangerie, bike shop and watersport place. The lift is also next door you can see the cables in my photo. Town is a 10 minute flat walk and as well as the river on one side there are a couple of lakes out the back gate which offer easy watersports and the swimming pool complex which is free to campers.

There was also a TV tent showing the Tour. If you want to know anything else let me know.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Unfitgeezer – it’s a newish VW California with a drive away awning. I’d be doing all the driving (most likely). Why do you ask?

I also have a campervan – but its old over 35yrs old !!! so I allow a few extra days traveling time and it doesnt like mountain passes !!

postierich
    Free Member

Paul I rate Lake Garda not many Brits on Hols there we stayed at Camping Maroadi right by the Lake and a short walk / bike
    along the Lake front to get into town.
    http://www.campingmaroadi.it/it-it/p/1/il-camping?sec=2
    The Dolomites were awesome but very expensive to camp on good pitches
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/MWEhe8]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

samoens looks nice timid wheeler but also looks to cost about 40 euro a night:O

paulevans
    Free Member

Timid wheeler – thanks. I’ll look further into Samoens.

Postie – what time of year did you go and what were the temps like? I followed your trip on FB – looked great. I’ve got to be careful to not make the trip too bike centric. Was there much else to do at Lake Garda?

pyranha

The sites we used most were that one in Samoens, and Isles des Barrats in Chamonix. Both are good for the town and other activities, but we weren’t biking so I can’t comment on that. If your van has an onboard toilet, you could look at Aires in villages which interest you – you’re not supposed to use them for long stays, but one of the points of a motorhome is ease of moving on – they’re generally free or cheap, depending on what services are included.

postierich
    Free Member

First 3 weeks of August was warm but a nice breeze off the Lake I only biked every three days. some good walks and day trips in the area. But there was a safe cycle lane to get about we were there for 10 days after only booking for a week as it was so good. Obviously lots of watersports to try

phil5556

We went last year, spent half the time staying in the car park at Lac D’Ecoles in Les Gets.

Also stayed at Camping Le Frene for a couple of nights. Don’t think it has a shop but baker comes in the mornings. And has a pool and lovely view across Les Gets.

Camping Le Frêne
    Les Cornuts, 74260 Les Gets, France
    +33 4 50 75 80 60

https://goo.gl/maps/81Qf5wncPSF2

Bit far up the hill to make it an easy walk or pedal though, but you can get lift up Mont Chery and it’s downhill from there.

ElShalimo

@OP – have you considered Austria?
    Not difficult to get to, absolutely gorgeous, great beer and very sensible prices

Edit: Germany is also fab but very underrated by Brits

kongman28
    Free Member

We stayed at Camping La Piscine at the foot of the Alpe d’Huez climb this year and we’d go back in a heartbeat. The valley was full of things to do, we camped with two young kids. It’s a bit further south than Morzine but we had the best weather. Samoens is also a family favourite, with loads to do in the valley.

downshift

We were in the campsite next door, A La Recontre du Soleil in Bourg. Like you we loved it, and I suspect will return.

dmorts

Taking notes too thanks….

campalumpa
    Free Member

Municipal campsite in Beaufort. No pool but one 5 mins away. Some good dh biking from the village you use the bus with uplift or you can drive to nearby resorts with chairlifts

Beautiful area. Lovely walks. Quiet.

sparkerfix

Edit: Germany is also fab but very underrated by Brits

Shhhhhhh!!! Don’t tell everyone

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Campervan camping in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.