Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Camper van living – tip & tricks?
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Have just decided to swap my car for a camper and would welcome some tips from the experienced ‘campers’ for trips away.
    I guess much is about being more organised and minimalist. Have tried a van before for a week, but it was bigger than the T5 I am going for.
    What is essential?? Thanks

peterfile
    Free Member

A squeedgy/super absorbent thingy for wiping down the condensation from the windows in the morning.

Have it packed with everything you need, restock before you get back home etc. i.e. no packing needed from the house, other than clothes. That way you’re less likely to ever forget anything and it makes actually getting away more pleasurable/easy.

Always have a spare bottle of wine hidden away, so that when you arrive at that perfect spot at 11pm in the middle of nowhere, you don’t have a “doh!” moment when you realise you forgot to pick up something to drink 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Carry some planks to put under the wheels to level the camper on slopes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

T5 camper tip Become a midget ?

Invest in a roll out awning and sides.

T5 is more of a bed on wheels than a camper.

Unless it looks like pictonroads beast or has a pop top like stoners 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Folding water bucket/wash bowl
    large paintbrush to use as dust brush
    secret wine store
    lifeventure travel sink plug
    Pack of kitchen/nappy wipes
    string and safety pin washing line
    Travel towels (lifeventure/knock offs)
    Small handle tie bin liners
    Bog roll
    shit shovel for wild turding
    more wine

We live in our T4 van for about a month of the year (2 adults, 2 small monsters). Travel light, read books, relax. Drink wine. Love it.

We can be comfortable just in the van, but for imsplicity we also now use a quechua base pop up tent when at a site. We have a simple awning (single fly sheet) for shade/rain protection if we need it. Big awning tents take up a lot of space and arent very flexibile.

rsvktm

External screens, no condensation. One of the best things we did.

And yes, keep everything in van. We end up going to the van when run out of stuff in the house.

willard

Corkscrew/bottle opener. I have hundreds of the damn things around because I keep forgetting to take one with me and having t buy one when I remember. I bought one in Rome. And in Croatia. And in Berlin. And Munich.

Now I make sure one is in my hold baggage before I finish packing.

legspin
    Free Member

External Screens
    Duvalay
    Keep it stocked and ready to. Just add food and clothes.

Off to Wales in mine in 6 hours can’t wait!

Stoner
    Free Member

I made our own thermal screens for the rear (the front ones are proper manufactured ones) using doubled-up sheets of foil bubble insulation and some suckers from eBay.

There’s always emergency ration packs in our van cupboard (soups, pasta, coffee and biscuits). ANd usually a bottle of wine stashed somewhere too 😉

BTW quechua also do a very handy fold out table with two seats. And little folding tripod stools are handy too. Pack away to nothing, behind the driver’s seat.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

dustpan and brush.
    torch.

i also really rate the seat covers from action van, not only really well made but the backs have pockets that are so handy,
    http://www.actionvan.biz/av-seat-covers

beefheart
    Free Member

Empty bottle to have a ‘camping wee’ in, depending on where you’re parked.

peterfile
    Free Member

^ for reasons I can’t explain, and much to my companion’s dismay, I filled a 5 litre bottle in February 🙂

pictonroad

unpack your bags and put all the stuff in cupboards.
    avoid ‘camping gadgets’ they are mostly shite.
    Plastic trug for washing up/bathing children/wet clothes.
    set of solar fairy lights.
    comfy chairs and a special camping jumper for the evenings
    Podcasts and audiobooks

they’re my top tips, everything else, wing it.

Depends if you’ve got one (or more) of these:

Busfest 2013 highlights. by pictonroad, on Flickr

If you haven’t then, blimey, 2 sets of pants, bottle of wine/cider/beer and a credit card, off you go!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Two sets of pants?!

This isn’t world tour advice!

tomaso
    Free Member

Have it ready to go at the drop of a hat and get out into the WILD!

Wild camp somewhere ace and bag a great ride before everyone else gets up.

And my favourite thing is a frying pan with a lid to stop the bacon and sausage fat soitting everywhere!

uphilla
    Free Member

Great advice, thanks! Wine store will be first 😀

Like those seat storage units PICTONROAD!

T5 is roomy, took a while but found a LWB with pop-top that does not feel cramped.

ourmaninthenorth

I have major camper envy. This is the year I plot and buy one (after renting one to get Dr North used to the idea that there’s more to life than the Hilton!) ready for even more adventures next year.

MoreCashThanDash

Pop round to your non-camper owning mates house in the van on some flimsy pretext like borrowing some lights or something, let his kids play in the van for half an hour and then drive off to the sound of said children saying “Daddy, why can’t we have a van like that….?”

You know who you are up there ^^^^^ 👿

Moses

Instant coous-cous and tinned curry for a very quick meal.
    Keep tea-bags and longlife mile in the van, always.
    Folding shovel for freedom poos.
    Keep the water containers topped up.

nedrapier

Crate/storage boxes for different stuff – So that you can just pick up, pack and go without having to write lists, collect things from various places, forget stuff etc.

eg:

Cooking: booze, stove, fuel, salt, pepper, herbs, plates, pasta, couple of tins, openers, plates cutlery, lighter, lights,

Entertainment: booze, travel squabble, cards, bluetooth speakers, crochet project, marquetry etc.

Essentials: booze, suncream, 1st aid kit, wet wipes etc, etc.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

pictonroad Where did you get your seat storage thingies from. Ive been looking for some and i cant find any good ones.

Or anyone else who knows of some for a T5

mattbee

My van gets used for work during the week so we have assorted boxes ready to go in the garage. My Jetboil & a brew kit live permanently in the van, along with a couple of sleeping bags so am always able to kip & brew up. We have a 1 night ‘go box’ with the basics in it so we can just chuck it in and go, or a bigger selection of stuff for longer trips.

legspin
    Free Member

Pop round to your non-camper owning mates house in the van on some flimsy pretext like borrowing some lights or something, let his kids play in the van for half an hour and then drive off to the sound of said children saying “Daddy, why can’t we have a van like that….?”

You know who you are up there ^^^^^

I must pop around again soon, Wont be this weekend I’m away in my van 😛

MoreCashThanDash

legspin – andyfla of this parish is just as bad now….

pictonroad

pictonroad Where did you get your seat storage thingies from. Ive been looking for some and i cant find any good ones.

Or anyone else who knows of some for a T5

Like those seat storage units PICTONROAD!

Those particular ones are made by Brandrup and were slightly harder to get my hands on than Lucy Williams when I was 15.

Brandrup make some new ones for T5’s but they are SPENDY. I’ve not used any of the cheaper ones that are anything other than tosh though and they do hold their value Islabike style.

Those Actionvan seat covers linked to in the thread earlier look really good though. But…

Just be aware, when you’re parked up the seats will more than likely be swivelled. I use them for straps and nappies and stuff we need during the day.

Actually, the boy has one to himself, I checked the other day, it has a model Renault 5, a plastic pig and a dessicated crab in it. Essential stuff for a 2.5yr old.

pictonroad

I have major camper envy. This is the year I plot and buy one (after renting one to get Dr North used to the idea that there’s more to life than the Hilton!) ready for even more adventures next year

Nah, they’re rubbish really, you end up in some really grotty places.

Summer Break by pictonroad, on Flickr

peterfile
    Free Member

picton – that van is amazing!!!!

What’s the model so that I can google and dream of buying one?

ElShalimo

pictonroad’s van is fab
    😀

You can get a new one for only £64k
    😯

being a VW, best add a few more quid to your budget if you want air in the tyres etc…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Spare plastic jerrycans of water?

rangerbill

Good pump for tyres, it helps on some sites to let your tyres down to get a bit more traction off site.
    Jump leads for when youve had the lights on too much whilst wild camping.
    Get your van serviced by someone who knows them inside out. A big service before the holiday season gets them ready to go.
    Baby wipes
    Trowel
    by a cheap money box with a lock and screw it down under the rock and roll bed to store stuff (although MV Engineering do an underseat one or is it Campervanculture?)
    If your going to France get one of those dibbers that you put in the windscreen so you can fly through all the tolls
    Plastic boxes with snap lids that fit UNDER your van, so when you get to site you can store stuff outside of the van
    Get your fridge and heater serviced before you go away, ready for the season
    Wine
    Corkscrew
    lighter
    Torch
    Wine
    board game compendium (magnetic)
    Wine
    Paracetomol

Im selling my VW T3 Westfalia hightop 🙁 so if anybods are interested PM me

Have we mentioned wine?

pictonroad

99 VW California Westfalia Exclusive 2.5TDI

VW California Westfalia Exclusive by pictonroad, on Flickr

Loads of pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21556621@N06/sets/72157631866004056/

I’ve bored everyone on here by now I’m sure… 😆

eskay

Really think hard if you can lose your car. I swapped my car for a camper last year and could not get on driving it day to day and eventually bought a car again. If I could afford it I would have both but sadly cannot.

uphilla
    Free Member

Great stuff, next question – who do you use for insurance, my current company does not cover campers??

peterfile
    Free Member

Send me a wee email with the details ranger 🙂

towzer

uphilla

I’m using caravanguard 0800 1488 418, one thing I note is that it includes recovery. (*based on recommendation from dealer, internet checks and fact that they managed the phone ok…. it’s the first time I’ve insured a motorhome so no idea what claims etc like)

ourmaninthenorth

@rangerbill info on your van also please. Email in profile. Thanks!

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ll go halves with you OMITN…vanshare 🙂

pictonroad

Glynwoods for insurance, they won’t mess you about.

pictonroad

I thought about renting mine out, then I had the engine played with…

Stoner
    Free Member

uphilla – I’ve used Lifesure Group for 7+ years. The only insurance company Ive used where the renewal premium goes down each year! Currently paying £200 on 2003 VW T4 camper,

They do Euro breakdown cover for about £65 too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Camper van living – tip & tricks?’ is closed to new replies.