Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Camper van help vw t4 ?
  • gingerman69

Looking for some help from camper van heads out there! May have got semi permission for a weekend camper for the family – thinking vw t4 with a pop roof but can any help with which are the most reliable options ? Plan is for something that will get us from Yorks to the coats or the lakes or the dales with 2 adults 2 kids and a dog and spend only five to ten k ?

What do people do with bikes – on there back ?

Is it possible ? Any things to look out for or any places to look to buy from

Thanks in advance ?

Stoner
    Free Member

got a 2003 T4 with Reimo pop roof.

Bikes go on a tow-hitch rack (Atera strada slidey thing so can lift the tailgate even with bikes loaded)

Fantastic bit of kit, although it did crack the head a few years ago in France. Fortunately quite ubiquitous block so new one not too hard for french garage to get hold of.

88bhp spec gets 40mpg on motorway cruises, comfortable drive.

Easy to service and tinker with.

Not sure but our 140,000 mile one is probably worth about 6-7k now. We’ve done 90k miles and slept over 200 nights in it. So has cost us about £1k p.a. in depreciation.

Insurance about £200pa with lifesure, VED £250 pa.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Get the lowest mileage 2.5 you can. Swivel front seats will be a must for four people. You will want a drive away awning to keep gear/dog in.

Be carefull of self build ones, I have seen some very dodgy DIY electric installations and also kitchen furniture that would kill every occupent in the event of a crash!. Be careful of recent re-sprays also, unless the seller can show you pitcures of the process.

Lastly, make sure it has a good quality rock n roll bed.

nealglover
    Free Member

We have a LHD T4 Multivan II and it has a factory fitted full width bed, same size as standard double.
    Camper conversions are obviously a lot narrower and this is worth thinking about. We just use the van for sleeping/eating and do the cooking etc outside or in the awning.

(Ours is up for sale soon if anyone is looking for a rare UK registered Factory 150bhp Multivan 😉 !)

gingerman69

Thanks all – any good forums or places to buy them ?

trailwagger
    Free Member

vw t4 forum.

Beware buying from gumtree and ebay – lots and lots of scams.

zomersetglider

Avoid the 1.9 engine models as they can be a bit labouring with a full load on long journeys.

They are getting rare but try & get a long wheel base as you do buy some additional space/length.

I’m with what a few others have already mentioned & be wary of home builds as there are some horrors out there.

The T4 does really hold its price so have a look at ford transits/ Renault traffics if your not too precious about the VW scene.

I’ve got an 02 plate T4, converted by a great family business in Wiltshire called Campervan Warehouse, I didn’t get a pop up, didn’t feel the need. I’ll never get rid of it 😀

brassneck

vw t4 forum.

Beware buying from gumtree and ebay – lots and lots of scams.

Whilst I’d agree in theory on this, you can do all right. Got my Caravelle off the Bay – had a funny ending time, was near Christmas and in Paignton (I actually quite like driving down the 303). Bought it for £500 less than I was prepared to lose completely (bodywork looked sound in the ads, some recent work listed added up with pics), and that was key.
    As it’s turned out, its been ace – did cambelt and waterpump as there was no evidence, but its been rock solid. Taking it to France this summer (touches wood and euro breakdown cover)

onverted by a great family business in Wiltshire called Campervan Warehouse

Are they Salisbury/Wilton way? Keep driving past sometihng similar on the A360, interesting if you’re a happy customer!

ElShalimo

Okay, I’ll ask the big question.
    Does it have to be a VW T4? Other options are available

Mugboo

Like Neilglover we have LHD multivan with a Vamoose poptop. We have one 6yr old and a dog. Our van has a kitchen pod with one ring and water.

There is room up top for a couple of kids but it would be tight for two adults, especially with the vamoose, the material is much tougher than tent material so it’s darker and waterproof but sweats. We might add a roof vent.

As above 2.5 TDI, tailgate useful for standing under. We have 2 of these, both with over 170,000 on but so far no issues apart from rusty arches. Ones the camper, the other has been my daily for over 7 years.

We have an event shelter instead of an awning but don’t often take it unless the weather is looking grim. We like to move on daily so it’s less faff, rain means a pub tea. And a small toilet is a must for us, that way we can wild camp if needs be.

I’d check Neil’s out if he’s selling.

Mugboo

Just T4’s on Facebook is full of vans for sale

duncancallum

I’ve one gave 5.5k for it love it too bits

If your near me come n have a look around it n see what you think size wise

Mugboo

Good point, whereabouts do you live OP?

gingerman69

Great input – lots of ideas and appreciate the help – based in ilkley

Basic question – what’s a multivan version ?

Cheers alll

nealglover
    Free Member

Basic question – what’s a multivan version ?

Mine is a Multivan II, never available in the UK.
    Two “captains seats” up front with armrests.
    Factory fitted triple seat in the rear, on rails, that turns into a full size double bed, either one or two middle row seats, also on rails, that can be forward or rearward facing with integrated seat belts.
    Independant Rear compartment heating/air con controls
    Full interior insulation and plastics, table folds out of side wall opposite sliding door, full curtains all round. And full double glazing (apart from front windows)
    150bhp 2.5TDi engine with big intercooler as standard.

Awesome van 🙂

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Depends what you want / need.
    You probably need to be at the top end of your budget to get something thats decent.
    read you post but not sure if you have had a camper before. It might be worth hiring one first to see if it suits “everyone”.

The 1.9 diesel is underpowered with the weight of a camper conversion. The 2.4 diesel is also pretty old hat now and not very powerful but quite thirsty.
    As mentioned above the 2.5 turbo diesel is the one to have but even that is either 88 or 102 bhp so not exactly rapid pulling 2 ton!
    At the moment i have a t5 as a daily and a really old T4 hig top camper for a bit of camping it 2 litre petrol so about the same power as 2.4 D but without the noise! Its fun but probably not that great as a daily.
    Beware home made stuff as a lot of folk get a bit gung ho with gas pipes and bottles.
    Also make sure you have a carbon monoxide monitor.

happy shopping 8)

Mugboo

We paid £6250 last summer for our Multivan (he was asking £7500), I think it started life as a Caravelle in Denmark so it has the interior like Neil’s but not the fancy windows and 150bhp. We then added the poptop.

I’m over in Brighouse if you want to bring the kids over and try it for size. Or bring the bike..!

Mugboo

If you do decide to buy then haggle hard, as a rule they are often over priced.

As for Multivans, you know it has been properly built, the bed is legal and safe and as long as you have somewhere to stash spare seats it’s a people carrier too.
    You don’t have the cupboards but that just means you have to be sensible with what you take.

We use the same rack as Stoner so you could use a roofbox if you needed more gear.

welshfarmer
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Camper van help vw t4 ?’ is closed to new replies.