Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Campagnolo Ultra Torque Bearing change
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just discovered that the bearings are shot, i don’t have a puller, how easy is it to change bearings? Do i need a puller? If so any sensibly priced ones about.

schmiken

You do need a puller, the genuine Park Tool one is your best bet due to the Hirth joint.

I’d recommend taking it to a shop that has the actual tools, you could easily trash an expensive set of cranks.

dovebiker

Yup, it’s a special puller and drift you need so unless you’ve got a lathe and grindwheel handy you’re best getting a shop with the right tools to do it.

mrmo
    Free Member

Thanks, will have to find out which local shops are open, have the tools, and either have, or can get the bearings. I suspect it is going to be cheaper than me sourcing a set of tools that aren’t going to get a huge amount of use.

sundaywobbler

You can do it yourself if you’ve got the right drifts, hammer and a decent touch, changed mine at least 3 times over the course of about 5 years I think.

I normally rest the hirth joint on a decent bit of timber and then remove the bearings using a hammer and drift.

Installation is a little easier as you can almost have the crank flat as you tap the bearings home.

Haven’t had to make up a tool for installation of the bearings yet just a bit of patience and making sure they are square as you install.

bigyan
    Free Member
    BadlyWiredDog

The Park puller has bad reputation for fragility, you may need to factor in sending it back once you’ve broken it. I managed it once with very careful use of an old chisel, though it wasn’t ideal.

Not an issue now after the off-side crank sheered off leave the crank hanging from my Chorus 11 crank-set. I replaced them with Dura Ace after that and now run a hybrid Campag / Shimano set-up that has the bonus of upsetting ‘proper’ roadies.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I broke 3 park pullers but have not tried one ina couple years so they may have got stronger

aP
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times over the last 13/14 years. When the bearing comes off the axle it makes a pretty good noise. The Park Tool has been fine for me and the drift does the job no problems. You do need a loooong Allen key as well to get at the central bolt.
    I don’t ride the bikes with those cranks (Chorus/ Chorus/ Centaur/ Centaur) a lot currently so I’m ok for a while. I like the system its straightforward and seems reliable.

tagnut69
    Free Member

The unior kit is around £20 cheaper than the park one

homerun
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these, and use a drift made from a length of 31.6mm seat tube to fit the bearings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274179696498

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t ride the bikes with those cranks (Chorus/ Chorus/ Centaur/ Centaur) a lot currently so I’m ok for a while. I like the system its straightforward and seems reliable.

That’s kind of what I thought until the axle sheared off. The crack that caused it looked to have started somewhere close the central joint and worked its way outwards. I may just have been unfortunate, but it wasn’t confidence inspiring, particularly since the week before it actually broke, I’d been bombing down the Galiber at 60mph odd on the same bike 🙂

tonyg2003

I have the Park Tools puller and it’s worked fine for me without breaking. Makes it much easier.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Campagnolo Ultra Torque Bearing change’ is closed to new replies.