• This topic has 86 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Cam belt failed: Nearest the Bull Quiz time
  • Harry_the_Spider

any reason a new engine can’t just be swapped in? bit of a gamble, but they appear to be <£1500 second hand

Plenty apparently. I need relaibility so I’m happy to get shut. My kast car was in and out of the garage, this one was faultless for 6 years until last week.

PrinceJohn

The chain went on my van a couple of years ago – sold it to a lad at the garage for £300.

The engine wasn’t too badly damaged – the parts plus his labour time to fix it would’ve cost me the best part of £1700 which was about what the van was worth should I have sold it.

Haze

£750 to do my Vauxhall chain, luckily wasn’t stuffed though so got it done and ran it until I could organise a long term replacement.

Doesn’t sound like an option for you but good luck.

Harry_the_Spider

Not worth prolonging the situation or chucking more money at it. We’re going on holiday and need capacity for 6 people at the end of May. Without a vehicle it would cost another bucket load to rent a car. It was 2 weeks before the engine guy could even look at it, then it could have taken another 2 weeks or more. Not worth the risk.

If it had happened a week earlier I would have saved myself the expense of an MOT, tyres and brakes. But shit happens.

Time to cut my losses.

The new one has DAB, stop/start, cruise control and electric seats too 🙂

matt_outandabout

I presume you will still Chuck the carcass of the Smax on eBay?

Painful for you.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, I had a Nissan Primera that was about 7 years old with the “bullet and bomb-proof” cam chain engine. Problem was no-one shot at it or tried to blow it up, but the chain snapped one day – car worthless. AA man said, “That never happens”. I said, “Thanks for that”.

Haze

Coincidence, I also had tyres changed just before for an MOT…also had the exhaust hanging off within a month.

Must have spent more than it was worth in a little under three months, got about half back when I traded it in for a Volvo…never looked back.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Cam belt failed: Nearest the Bull Quiz time’ is closed to new replies.