Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)
  • Calorie counting on UK menus from today
  • 13thfloormonk

can be 30-40g of sugar

Actually I have both appreciated developing a notion of sugar content (no more soft drinks. Ever.) but am also frustrated at how opaque it is, as even the sugar in milk gets lumped in to the calculation, so as per the apple discussion above, it’s really difficult to tell how much refined sugar and how much ‘naturally occurring’ sugar you’re getting.

It requires you to become an expert in all the ways a manufacturer can hide sugar in the ingredients… 🙄

Also I’m going to retract my previous cynicism, have realised that since learning about calories I have got much better at planning around a Friday chippy/weekend binge, which is easier when you realise that beer + crisps + pizza is pretty much your daily allowance in one sitting 😖

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

when you realise that beer + crisps + pizza is pretty much your daily allowance in one sitting

You need to significantly up your pizza game if that lot is <2000kcal

13thfloormonk

Really? I thought my stuffed crust double pepperoni was pretty much as sickening as it gets. Think 1100kCal and almost daily allowance of salt 😖

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A large cheese and tomato from domino’s* is 2100kcal

Supposedly feeds 4 mind.

*opinion of domino’s, whether it counts as pizza, is any good etc aside

Cougar

And then we’re back to portion control.

This, I think, is the issue in the US. The first time I saw it I was mortified, but getting your leftovers ‘to go’ is normal. So restaurants deliberately give you too much food on the notion that you’ll take away what you don’t eat. Then the fat bastards eat it all anyway. 😁

I remember my first time in Waffle House. My first thought was “why are the tables so far away from the seats?” I saw the menu, interpreted “waffle” as the sweet waffles you get in supermarkets, hash brown as the McD’s offering, pancake like a Scotch pancake… I ordered half the menu and I tell you my friends, a mistake had been made.

Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.