Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • Calorie counting on UK menus from today
  • Yak

in fact I’d hypothesise that people with such disorders are already acutley aware of and able to hunt out lower calorie options without needing a lable to tell them, so probably a minimal or null impact there also.

It’s not whether individuals with eating disorders are able to pick low calorie options or not. It’s about keeping eating out as an occasion, away from numbers or triggers that allow mental health issues to resurface.

nickc

They can hardly ban fast food

why?

You seem to have some (loaded) chips on your shoulder about this.

I’m the PM of a inner city GP surgery, try to guess how many type 2 diabetics we see on a boring Thursday morning.

Olly
    Free Member

The random use of “calories” when they mean K calories is going to drive me up the wall.

CÔTE burger – 1,456 kcal

A burger from Côte contains 1,456 calories,

IdleJon

I’m not usually one to stick up for ministers, but in this case what would you have them do?

Starting at nursery school, children will have to visually estimate the energy content of various common plates of food, and convert that figure into exercise equivalents.

There will be a compulsory salary sacrifice in exchange for (healthy) foodstuffs. Some luxury items will be available in shops but to achieve them you must prove that you have done enough exercise in the preceding month.

Alcohol will be banned.

Only Government licensed take-aways will be allowed – baked potatoes or hot chestnuts.

Commonly used recreational drugs that provide a thinning effect will be offered gratis. Tobacco smoking will be compulsory for that reason.

A government app will monitor how much energy each individual uses. There will be penalties if not used.

Exclusion licences will be available at £1,000 per month plus VAT.

mattyfez

They can hardly ban fast food

why?

Well, you’d have to define it for a start, where do you draw the line? burgers over 400kcals illegal? 500?
    Limit them to one per customer?
    What about salt and sugar content, what should the legal maximum on that be?

davros

They don’t like the ‘nanny state’ so I’m surprised they’ve gone this far. Though they did introduce the sugar tax which is arguably a more severe intervention.

Cougar

why?

This is a country which called 999 when KFC ran out of chicken.

The random use of “calories” when they mean K calories is going to drive me up the wall.

Indeed. It’s what people understand though.

davros

We’re heading for the demolition man society, where you can only get rat burgers and beer if you live in the sewers with the savages and salt/booze are illegal.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It allows ministers who should have people’s health in mind to say that they’ve “done something, and if it doesn’t work, well then that’s not their fault, is it?”

It allows them to make small gradual changes which are (a) likely to receive wide support across parties, (b) unlikely to be significantly unpopular with the electorate (c) likely to have high compliance (d) when they do fail are likely to have been seen to do so because they didn’t go far enough.

It allows them to do similar again when it fails to work ad infinitum, and, in several decades or so to reach the significant changes you wanted whilst maintaining all those things.
    This is the nature of a democracy.

If you try to make those major changes in one step it fails on at least one of the things above, at best achieves zero but at worst is counterproductive.
    It’s why we’ve not banned cars and fossil fuels despite the fact it would save huge numbers of lives.
    Its why some of the first things Trump did, some of his biggest pledges were to get rid of Obama care and roll back on green policies.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

I’m the PM of a inner city GP surgery, try to guess how many type 2 diabetics we see on a boring Thursday morning.

Fair enough.

Restaurants are not going to drastically change their menus any time soon, so why not start doing everything we can to educate people on calories in general, and everything we can to make those conversations about food and health part of everyday life?

We could begin with a relatively easy win like printing calorie info on restaurant menus, and then take it from there. By itself, it’s not going to solve the problem, but even the process of doing it, and the PR it has generated, has sparked lots of conversation and awareness about it – including on this forum.

We’ve got to start somewhere, right?

nickc

I don’t know @mattyfez, I’m not an expert, i just see the results of a environment that people are free to make themselves wildly unhealthy (that is going to cost all us increasingly more and more if left untackled) via the medium of food on a staggeringly routine day to day level.

We (as a nation) increasingly cannot cope with the level of illness that environment is causing. Arguably we’re already there. It is unsustainable.

johnx2
    Free Member

https://www.bmj.com/content/367/bmj.l5837

In this sample of 104 fast food restaurants in the southern US, calorie labeling was associated with a small decrease in mean calories per transaction after implementation, but this was followed by a gradual weekly increase that partially attenuated this association over the next year. These results imply that calorie labeling alone may not be enough to make sustainable reductions in calorie intake in fast food restaurants.

Is the most positive study I’m aware of: small and probably temporary decrease. People get used to things fast. The chance of this having impact on overall calorie consumption, let alone local population levels of obesity are pretty much zero, chance of negative impact on people whose mental health has a food aspect – not zero.

Me, I find it a minor but definite annoyance. Found myself in a Bistro Pierre the other day. Small chain of non-fast food, already got this on the menu. Steaks were okay.

It’s the pointlessness of it – this is not an effective public health measure – whilst giving the appearance government wants do something. I would withhold their puddings in no uncertain terms.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

i just see the results of a environment that people are free to make themselves wildly unhealthy (that is going to cost all us increasingly more and more if left untackled) via the medium of food on a staggeringly routine day to day level.

The only bit there which is relevant is the bit in bold. That’s the bit you want to change.

johnx2
    Free Member

The only bit there which is relevant is the bit in bold

the term is ‘obesogenic environment’ and theoretical freedom aside, in practice people tend to make the easiest choices. If you’re on a low income in a fast food joint part of town the easiest choices are more likely to make you fat.

nickc

But their freedom to make themselves very poorly is going to affect your ability to access healthcare, and increasingly it will make larger and larger demands on it. Nothing happens in society in a vacuum.

mogrim

But their freedom to make themselves very poorly is going to affect your ability to access healthcare, and increasingly it will make larger and larger demands on it. Nothing happens in society in a vacuum.

Will it? I thought pensions were a bigger part of public finance, anything that lowers life expectancy is probably a net saving.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

That above article is quite interesting

I’m intrigued, I was just about to post the absolute opposite. It was just a bunch of numbers with absolutely no context.

I think the key thing is that I haven’t got a scooby what a kcalorie actually is and how many of them I need.

You are probably better informed and so could make conclusions.

I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning 8,000 kc in a day, but have a sneaky suspicion that was in response to my WHW picnic post, so not a normal daily target:-)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Of course, but my freedom and my life is no more or less important than theirs.

I’ve fallen off my bike and broken bones, and ruptured my spleen, being on my bike was a choice and put requirements on the health system. Should I be allowed to make that choice?

My ability to access healthcare (and multitudes of other things) could be vastly improved by for example, ceasing to prescribe life extending (as distinct from curative) medications. Should we do that?

mattyfez

I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning 8,000 kc in a day, but have a sneaky suspicion that was in response to my WHW picnic post, so not a normal daily target:-)

Hahaha, for a rugby player maybe 😉

But for example if you aiming for a more normal 2500kcal or 3000kcal per day, and your lunch weighs in at 1500, or 2000, not uncommon, then add a beer or a coke… it’s not hard to think twice and give me a nudge get the pasta rather than the all day breakfast.

nickc

anything that lowers life expectancy is probably a net saving.

quite aside from being a teensy bit cynical, they do take up quite a bit of care while they’re still alive.

zilog6128

These results imply that calorie labeling alone may not be enough to make sustainable reductions in calorie intake in fast food restaurants.

you’ve interpreted this statement in one way though (a negative one, that aligns with your bias). Another, entirely reasonable interpretation, might be “calorie labelling works but it’s important that it’s implemented alongside other measures”

oikeith

Too many posts to read, but I worked in a McD’s 20 years ago and calories were on the menu then! Even the Wetherspoons menus have had this info for donkeys years.

I did a calorie restricted diet many years ago and found the info helped me make more informed choices.

With knowledge of close others with eating disorders, I maintain that food should not be reduced to numbers or anything that negatively impacts on mental health.

I disagree, this argument conflates the issues here, those people have mental health issues for which adding or removing info on a menu wont make much difference!

nickc

Should I be allowed to make that choice?

Probably. the benefits to your health of cycling probably outweigh the demands placed on healthcare service by your accident. Plus although it may seem quite expensive, the cost of putting you back together again to continue with your otherwise healthy activity aren’t that much in the scheme of things, and certainly less than the ongoing care involved in managing a disease like type 2 diabetes.

impatientbull

This will be very helpful for those who are already monitoring their calorie intake. Previously eating out was often largely guess work in that respect. But if you’re not already doing that, then I can’t see it making much difference.

onehundredthidiot

Might be useful when folk are ordering a skinny choca mokka with syrup and marshmallows.
    Some of the stuff that pretends to be coffee is a whole meal+.

“As the only festive drink on all coffee shop Christmas menus to break the 600 calorie mark, a large sized cup comes in at 660 calories – more than a quarter of your recommended daily allowance (RDA), just in a drink. The sugar content is also shockingly high: at 78.9g of sugar a cup, that’s nearly your whole 90g RDA in one go, equivalent to 3.3 Mars bars.”

mogrim

quite aside form being a teensy bit cynical, they do take up quite a bit of care while they’re still alive.

Just a “teensy bit”? 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What would you actually have the government do then Nick?

Bear in mind that poor diet and obesity are closely linked to income.
    Directly targeting the food people eat with taxation is likely to result in poorer diets not better because they don’t have the money to make better choices.
    Education isn’t likely to work because knowing you’re being forced to eat rubbish isn’t going to make you more likely to choose not to eat. See also better labeling etc.

As much as we might like to think people eating crap do so out of choice, most don’t, it’s out of necessity. Obesity isn’t a result of a McDonalds on every street corner it’s a result of a “chicken pie” being cheaper in aldi than enough chicken to make one.

Actually here is a bit of fun* for you. Go to tescos Website and put a healthy basket together for a family of four for under £5 for the day. Now ditch the healthy requirement and see if you can manage it. (it’s much easier for a day than a week because one day of eggs, beans and rice doesn’t seem that bad, 7 days of that, not so much)

Now bear in mind that low income families are much more likely to have to shop in an expensive shop such as the corner co-op or spa because large, cheap supermarkets are not where they live.

*it won’t be fun, it’ll be thoroughly depressing.

Cougar

the benefits to your health of cycling probably outweigh the demands placed on healthcare service by your accident.

Eating junk food makes people happy (or they wouldn’t do it). Do the benefits to their mental health of a cheeky Big Mac not then outweigh the demands placed on healthcare service by their weight?

You’re cherry-picking. (Which at least is probably quite low-cal.)

nickc

Just a “teensy bit”?

perhaps. 🙂

What would you actually have them do then Nick?

See my OP. Address food poverty, education about healthy food choices, easier access to activities. We’ve pretty much educated people on the dangers of fags after all. (I know we’ve not stopped it, but i doubt many don’t understand the health risks)  It’s a long slog, but addressing the availability, the cost, the ingredients, and how it’s advertised would top of my list if i had a magic wand.

Cougar

Obesity isn’t a result of a McDonalds on every street corner it’s a result of a “chicken pie” being cheaper in aldi than enough chicken to make one.

There’s a broader issue here too. It’s not just cheaper, it’s easier. And it’s not just easier, it’s faster. How many [warning: rash generalisation incoming] poorer families do we think would turn out a chicken pie if given fresh chicken and ingredients for pastry?

Do we teach people how to cook? Back when I was at high school the extent of my cookery lessons was over six weeks where we learned whether it was faster to boil water in a kettle or the oven, and how to make chocolate rice krispies. Life skills, I’m sure.

It’s another tax on the poor for sure, but we’ve created a society where those who most need to have neither the ability not the willingness to cook.

nickc

Eating junk food makes people happy (or they wouldn’t do it)

yes, as i said on page one, there’s three areas that broadly speaking are why folks over-indulge.

Availability

Association (good and bad)

Accountability (to oneself or others)

We have to devise programs that are free to all, about why they feel the need to eat a bag of donuts, why that makes them happy (or sad or self loathing) and how to break the association.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

We’ve pretty much educated people on the dangers of fags after all. (I know we’ve not stopped it, but i doubt many don’t understand the health risks) It’s a long slog, but addressing the availability, the cost, the ingredients, and how it’s advertised would top of my list if i had a magic wand

But fags is by comparison very easy. You don’t need fags to live. You can’t give up food.

nickc

You can’t give up food.

Although weirdly; the food that’s cheap, easily available, and yummy will mostly give you a disease that’s going to make you wish you could…

LAT

this seems to be another move for the government to shift the responsibility of fixing social problems on to individuals rather than actually doing something about it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

about why they feel the need to eat a bag of donuts, and how to break the association.

So I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess you’ve never been broke?

I’ve been there, where food shopping went on CC because there was no money. I’ll tell you exactly why I felt the need to eat a bag of donuts, because they were 60p and I needed to eat. I’d frankly have eaten a turd at that point if I thought it was a better option than not.

binners

But fags is by comparison very easy. You don’t need fags to live.

Also: most people gave up fags with the aid of vaping. You get basically the same thing without the bad bits that kill you

Unfortunately theres no calorie free version of a pie. You have to have something else completely different instead and sadly pies are ace and salads are rubbish!

We need the vape equivalent of a sausage roll. Why aren’t the government developing them then, eh? WHY?!!

IdleJon

quite aside from being a teensy bit cynical, they do take up quite a bit of care while they’re still alive.

The ‘Should I go to my GP’ thread today would suggest that it’s not as much care as it could be. 😀

Cougar

We’ve pretty much educated people on the dangers of fags after all. (I know we’ve not stopped it, but i doubt many don’t understand the health risks)

And yet, people still smoke. So education didn’t work. And demonstrably also:

addressing… the cost

didn’t work.

the ingredients…

didn’t work.

and how it’s advertised…

didn’t work.

A pack of fags is, what, ten quid? We banned advertising forever ago. We banned smoking pretty much everywhere. The packaging is essentially a warning going [THIS SHIT WILL LITERALLY KILL YOU TO DEATH!] and a photo of a diseased lung. And if I were to go down to ASDA right now I guarantee there will be someone at the concessions counter buying 100 Lambert and twenty quid’s worth of scratchcards.

I don’t know what the solution is, but if we can’t manage to get people looking at cigarettes and going “**** that, are you mad?” then we’ve got zero chance of dragging anyone away from their lardburger and chips.

Cougar

We need the vape equivalent of a sausage roll. Why aren’t the government developing them then, eh? WHY?!!

Open goal there, Binners. 😁

nickc

So I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess you’ve never been broke?

On the contrary I’ve been very very poor during my life. Granted I rented a flat and ran a car, but often had to choose between heat and food. Cold showers, weeks of beans etc etc. And yeah I understand the point your making, and yep donuts seemed like manna and was dirt cheap and I often went to MaccyD just to sit and eat chips (I’m veggie) and be warm for a bit

It isn’t easy I understand that, I would have more respect for a government that said they had decided to engage with food charities, or not dropped the £20.00 extra, or chosen not to penalise larger families through child benefits. This…This is just cynical, there’s enough information out there to show it has limited to no impact, and yet here we are doing none of things govt know work, and doing the thing that we know doesn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.