Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Calling all motorsport/ classic car/ engine tuning STW'ers
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

are all throttle cables created equal?

The throttle cable routing on 1500 midgets is rubbish, the carb's are on the drivers side, and the cable enters over the top of the engine, so the cable has to do a 180deg turn to get round.

Will any throttle cable fit (i.e. are the end fittings fairly standard), or should I get the dremmel out and make something that will take a pushbike's brake cable (porbably nokon due to the tight corners), therefore allowing me to run the outer right the way arround the engine bay, to the other side (the engine was designed for LDH cars).

fozzybear
    Free Member

anything carb based is normally the same, cheap-thick-poor quality cable with a none lube'd outer to protect it.

my mini was classic for dragging/hanging onto the throttle cable, i ended up refitting it with an XTR brake cable inner (don't 'think' i replaced the outer) worked fine after that.

don't forget those cables are thicker than your std gear inner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

how did you attach the ends of the cable? I was thinking of drilling and tapping the throttle arm on the carbs, and attaching it like a bike cable, or is there an easier way?

fozzybear
    Free Member

mine was easy as it has a stop on the top of the accelerator which is held in place with a collar..

just tapped a bolt to the SU carb and clamped it in place.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

seem to remember when the throttle cable snapped on our saab the local motorfactors said to use a normal bike brake cable (they didnt have any cables in stock)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Throttle cable on my celica is about 3mm thick (inner!). Mst have the same or very similar lead-bead ends. Personally I'd just buy the standard part and lube it better, and follow it round its extents and heatshield any bits near hot stuff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3mm! You could lift the whole car with that! Looks closer to 1.6mm.

Cheer's Fozzy and Lord, that's what im thinking. Combined with a v-brake rollamajigs at the main points it bends (the carb and bulkhead).

For anyone else reading, another sugestion I've had is to check the earthing, as if the earthing is suspect, the current may be enough to heat the wire and melt the inner.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Slight exaggeration I admit 😀 But it is a lot thicker than most ive removed. it's over 2 and it has the recoil of shotgun when released from the throttle plate! (not exaggerating again, honest!)

fozzybear
    Free Member

with the way my mini led into the car it went under the air intake and filter, which was common to bend the last 5cm of outer and split it. seamed to replace it a lot.

nickc

The 1500 unit in the Midget is the Triumph engine from the Spitty, Herald etc, not designed for LHD at all. Never had any problems with any spitty's I owned, What's the issue? Sticky throttle?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Calling all motorsport/ classic car/ engine tuning STW'ers’ is closed to new replies.