Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • California biking!
  • ahsat

Hey all

A few of us are in San Francisco in early December and have a couple of days free after a conference. Last year we were late enough to go skiing. This year we thinking of going mountain biking. We will need to hire bikes Sat-Monday lunchtime. If we can find something 2-3 hours drive away we could ride Saturday afternoon, full day Sunday and maybe Monday before heading back to the airport. I am the mountain biker but everyone is fit(ish) and up for a laugh. Sort of ‘red’ grade would be good. We also need somewhere to stay for a couple of nights. Any advice of any sort (well constructive) very welcome.

Cheers

ahsat

Come on singletrack forum – you have let me down so far. Someone must know some riding.

flashes
    Free Member

You are within striking distance of Marin and Muir Woods. Have a quick google……………mmmmmmmmmm

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    ahsat

Ta. Did have a quick Google and there was so much (hence the post) but that gives me a good start. Thanks.

ahsat

Mcmoonter brilliant. That’s my evening sorted.

Digger90
    Free Member

Skeggs Point on Skyline Blvd has an excellent network of trails – but you really need someone to guide you.

Also, there’s Big Basin further down the peninsula, and around Santa Cruz there’s truckloads of good spots such as Soquel Demonstration State Forest, Wilder Ranch, Butcher Ranch etc.

Should all be findable on Google Maps.

Pigface
    Free Member

Go see Chris at Roaring Mouse Cycles and he will tell you all you need to know.

http://www.roaringmousecycles.com/

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

When will you get here?

spence
    Free Member

I’ve used Caesar’s Cyclery in San Anselmo a couple of times, just off St. Francis Drake. Basically butts against Fairfax so you can ride Mt Tam and The Taramancho Trail right from the shop. Park in Belle Ave, no time restrictions but not by the school. China Park, a short drive is also good for a couple of hours riding.

Bikes have always been good and some excellent advice on where to ride – marking up a map.

ScotlandTheScared

ahsat – I guess you’re going to AGU then? Me too – but no time to ride afterwards and with my wife also being there, there is no way I will be let near a bike shop!

Second for roaring mouse though – cool shop, though I dont think they do rentals (just demo bikes). I just went in for a look about last year – no time to ride then either.

althepal

Was wondering when repack would show up!
    Wish I could get back to San Francisco.. Only managed to get over the bridge and up Hawk Hill but was cool riding the hill my mates bike was named after.. Sigh.

robbo
    Free Member

Check http://www.romp.org for trail condition links as lots are closed once it starts raining. Skeggs and SDF are open all year I think. Or do some road rides along the Peninsula if its shitty. Great coast.

MrHappyJack
    Free Member

Good riding at the following:

Wilder Ranch State Park – just north of Santa Cruz. As you take highway 101 into S/C, there’s a bike shop on the right called ‘Another Bike Shop’ and they’ll sell a map of the trails in the area (Krebs). Loads of trails and great riding.

Henry W Coe State Park – near Morgan Hill (home of Specialized). Seriously big area with some great trails. Ranger station at edge of western area is best spring point, then ride Corral Trail – Flat Frog Trail – Hobbs Road – Middle Ridge Trail – Poverty Flat Road. Seriously big loop and great fun.

Purisma Creek Redwoods OSP – park at the bottom and ride up Harkins Fire Trail then down Whittemore Gulch Trail (awesome singletrack the whole way down – big climb to get there).

Marin County, China Camp State Park (east side, just north of Sausalito) – park by the sea and do a complete loop – maps on t’internet – going anti-clockwise up to the radio mast then traverse right across the hill and back down to the sea. Fab trails and probably my favourite in the area.

Of the above, China Camp, Purisma Creek are nearest San Fran and Santa Cruz is next. Henry Coe is further away.

Flashy
    Free Member

Marin County, China Camp State Park (east side, just north of Sausalito) – park by the sea and do a complete loop – maps on t’internet – going anti-clockwise up to the radio mast then traverse right across the hill and back down to the sea. Fab trails and probably my favourite in the area.

How far north of Sausalito? I have a plan…….

MrHappyJack
    Free Member

“(east side, just north of Sausalito)”
    it’s actually about 12 miles…….. 🙄
    It’s the Santa Venetia exit off 101 if driving, and follow the road east.

ahsat

Ahh thanks for getting this regoing as I am slightly going round in circles! There is load of riding, but we are really struggling to find somewhere we can just ride from the bike rentals. It looks like Fairfax may be the best option, and it has to be said I hadnt made the link with repack! Now I would think that was cool, but everyone else would think I was a looser!

I did look at Steve Smiths shuttle out of santa cruz – but one guy is a bit scared as he thinks it will be like riding downhill! I’ve tried to explain it wont be, but having to look for alternatives.

Ford Ord looks fantastic, but there is no bike rentals close enough. We wont be able to get 4 bikes in our rental car!

ahsat – I guess you’re going to AGU then?

Yup – we added a couple of days on the end for fun! Last year we went skiing, but there is no more snow forecast at Tahoe this week and with the warm weather what is there is going to be an ice rink!

bish1
    Free Member

ahsat
    Look up Stoked in Sausalito – Rob Reedy is a supercool guy who will sort you out with high quality bikes, riding gear, hydration etc. He’ll take you to the trails and guide you. I cannot recommend him highly enough – he’ll tailor the ride to your requirements and abilities and it’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face. I rode Tamarancho with him, starting from Fairfax. We met Repack Rider (from this thread) which was awesome – if you don’t know Charlie’s a legend!
    Sounds like this is just what you guys need and the trails there rock. It’s all within 45 mins of the city too.

http://stokedsf.com/index.php

Good luck

ahsat

Has anyone riden at Camp Tamarancho? It looks like one of the few places we could ride from a rental shop in Fairfax. It doesnt look too technical (one you get the hang of switchbacks) so it should scare a newbie too much.

ahsat

Cheers bish1 – just seen your post.

ahsat

I didnt make the link with Fairfax being where Repack was (despite watching Klunkers…d’oh!).

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Try the NORCAL MTBR forum.

Also Google Tamarancho Boy Scouts mountain biking (not what you think!) & Skeggs/El Corte De Madera. Both very cool & lots of fun.

Eat Brats & drink Beer here Gestalt Haus, run by a friend a guy called Murphy.

phil56

Look up Stoked in Sausalito – Rob Reedy is a supercool guy

Another recommendation for StokedSF. I’ve ridden with Rob a couple of times – great guy and will meet you right off the ferry from SF

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

A second vote for getting in touch with Chris at roaring mouse cycles, a Brit who owns and runs a bike shop. He’s also best man at my wedding next year and used to lead rides over there before he bought the bike shop. He took me on the boy scout ride, awesome ride… Ask him how his leg is these days! Lol.

ahsat

Have contacted Rob at Stoked to see what he can do (though his auto reply suggests he is limited in the winter). Have also come up with a cunning plan of climbing at Planet Granite on Sunday so I can also go to Roaring Mouse on the same road :o)

Fingers crossed. Otherwise it looks like we will go for Camp Tamarancho from Fairfax.

organic355
    Free Member

whatch out for mountain lions!!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘California biking!’ is closed to new replies.