Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cairngorms consultation
  • scotroutes

Note that this consultation was initiated by HIE and is based on the assumption that £10m will be spent getting the funicular sorted. If you feel that there are better proposals, don’t be afraid to put them forward.

Oblongbob

Thanks for sharing this. I like the idea of lower impact and more flexible facilities, ticketing etc. Also tidying up the place seems like a good idea! Would be nice to see MTBing included in the plan, but I suppose it’s not one of Mountaineering Scotland’s priorities. And it would no doubt be controversial. Do you expect any cycling representative bodies will contribute?

scotroutes

This consultation is not being led/controllec by Mountaineering Scotland. Put forward whatever proposals you think would be of benefit (as a local, I’m trying to avoid leading any thoughts towards my ideas 😉)

Edit; DMBinS have had the idea of a Glenmore Hub for some time. They will be feeding into this consultation.

big_scot_nanny

Wasn’t there a thing recently from Scottish Gov/Visit Scotland (or some such) that was strongly advising mountain resorts to gear themselves up for MTBing? Seems V odd its not even mentioned in this.

There is a lot of chat about sensitive ecosystems, so seems they are trying to dissuade from full on DH bike park (although that would be amazing, I’d offer Lac Blanc in the Voges mountains in France as a similar sized mountain) which I can understand.

Maybe there could be a proposal based around a Swiss Alps style uplift access to sensitive and fun ‘natural’ trails? Trail centre on Steroids?

big_scot_nanny

how does one build/submit proposals? How well thought through do they have to be?

big_scot_nanny

Done, ta!

Oblongbob

Cheers Scotroutes…I meant that MS wouldn’t naturally be advocating for MTBing in their submissions, so no surprise not to see it in there. DMBinS will hopefully make a decent case. I suspect the environmental lobby will all be too strong, so at least the place won’t be completely destroyed by a couple of MTB tracks, it’ll just be the same old pristine snow fences, access roads, restaurants, old bits of wire and stuff we all know and love…and of course the broken funicular 🙄

scotroutes

Without wanting to prejudice anyone else’s thoughts on the matter, one of the current restraints is that the HIE only own the area around the ski slopes. The lower slopes – down to Glenmore – are owned by FLS. The problem there is that the HIE consultation doesn’t really consider how (for instance) a bike park could be located to make use of uplift and avoid the most sensitive and visually intrusive areas.

Imagine a MTB trail starting at the car park and heading down to Glenmore….

Oblongbob

I’ve made my submission. Basically it’s improve and develop the current area to an extent, but with no sprawl across plateau and into other areas whatsoever. Abandon (by which I mean remove) the funicular, which seems generally a bit pants to me even ignoring the recent issues. Remove crappy tows. Put in a low number of high speed chairs/gondola. Tidy up the car park and base area generally. Think mtb trails would be fairly low impact compared to the current road etc, but I see your point. Combining a few DH trails on the mountain with more extensive trails heading into and based around Glenmore generally would be awesome. There’s all the forest around badaguish etc. that could be used without going near the more natural woods.

NZCol

So they are banging 20m into it inc 16m to repair the stupid railway. Good to see investment , imagine what Glenshee and Glencoe, Nevis and Lecht could do with 20m….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms consultation’ is closed to new replies.