Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 257 total)
  • CairnGorm Mountain Railway borked
  • duckman

The Ciste is being kept bare in a secret deal with Glenmore lodge who want to keep it as difficult to navigate in as possible to make life hard for ML candidates. Nothing to back that up, just a theory based on personal experience.

rene59
    Free Member

The plans look like they have potential at least. However it isn’t clear if the funding is already in place. Seen this too often over the years in various different places to hold out much hope of it actually coming to fruition. Plans released with some initial publicity, forgotten about several years later as there isn’t the money coming in to invest.

Leaving the biking trails until the second phase doesn’t make much sense though, if the lifts are going in first phase then seems a bit mad not to capitalise on that from the get go with a variety of DH trails to attract some biking visitors.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Soul destroying. It’s such a shame that the scum who ruined cairngorm will never be held accountable for their actions.

I can’t believe that they are now saying that the solution is to replace all the lifts they pulled out when they built that damned railway.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just mind blowing how much worse a situation we are now in than 22 years ago.

We’ve spent tens of millions and have gone backwards.

matt_outandabout

The Ciste is being kept bare in a secret deal with Glenmore lodge who want to keep it as difficult to navigate in as possible to make life hard for ML candidates. Nothing to back that up, just a theory based on personal experience.

Life will be much tougher for so many places around Cairngorm this winter, the Lodge included…

Northwind

Next time they go bust, Aimup can buy the rollercoaster

scotroutes

Life will be much tougher for so many places around Cairngorm this winter, the Lodge included…

The Intro to Ski Touring courses are well booked up.

piemonster

Have they closed their Facebook page? Just went to have a mooch and can’t find it, google finds a link but the link doesn’t take you to there.

scotroutes

Have they closed their Facebook page

Yes.

footflaps

Have they closed their Facebook page

shame I quite enjoyed the show updates whilst sat in snow free cambridge!

scotroutes

It’s worth saying that the weather has been pretty good this last few weeks….

oldtennisshoes

It’s worth saying that the weather has been pretty good this last few weeks….

**strokes chin**

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

For peoples information, a response team has been formed with representatives from all the interested parties to try to mitigate the impact of the closure of the train. No real output yet but should be seeing some results over the next couple of weeks. It’s not going to be brilliant but it’s a case of making the best of the situation. As I understand it, the Ptarmigan will be open to provide at least toilet facilities etc. There will be a ski school operating and the Snow Factory is being put in place which will help with lower slopes

i think the disappearance of the website should have been temporary

The uplift review which was linked to is really positive in that it sets out a vision for the future which HIE fully supports, but two things to note:

1) It is a vision not a plan, and clearly some of the proposals would not work, like the MTB track positioning. It should be treated as a start point for detailed investigation and proposals

2) There is currently zero funding in place for this, although with HIE supporting it, some funds would hopefully be made available over time

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

A recent post on Winterhighland seems to indicate that not all of the stakeholders are on board. Natural Retreats, the owners, seem to object to the inconvenience of travelling to meet with others who want to help sort out the mess. I might have read it wrong though.

The Facebook and Twitter pages have gone down. The last update on the Cairngorm website is from 11 October. The season nominally started on 1 November. Not that we could use last year’s passes for 25% of the year.

We have 4 Season Passes in the household, and my emails appealing for information go unanswered.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There is one way and one way only out of this mess. Alan Winterhighland (mackay?)  Should be put in charge of the whole thing with power to hire and fire whoever he pleases. The man is a god who walks this earth

He has been pointing out perfectly accurately what is wrong with cairngorm management scum and everything he said for the last n years has come to pass.

Just read some of his wailings about the removal of the ciste chair recently and look at where that shower of fools have landed us now with its removal.

Alan Mackay for COO of cairngorm ski cetre

stevie750

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-46389488

Gone into administration, not sure how that will effect passes already sold

legend
    Free Member

Not often that a company going to the wall looks like a good thing

scotroutes

I reckon I can write off the cost of two season passes then. Bastards.

Hope something can be done to save the jobs though.

oldtennisshoes

Ooof not good. I suspect that’ll be the end of the proposed snow factories to open up the lower tows. Bye bye season. Let’s just hope the interested amateurs don’t get offered anything rash.

plus-one

I guess it’s all downhill from here 🙁

allthegear
    Free Member

Slippery slope, that’s for sure.

scotroutes

Ooof not good. I suspect that’ll be the end of the proposed snow factories to open up the lower tows.

Err, the Snow Factory unit is already installed and is being funded by HIE. Nothing announced today will affect that.

piemonster

Hope something can be done to save the jobs though.

Yeh, that’s my concern. I don’t hold much hope for this season but if anything good can come of this I really hope it does.

I do see a lot of chat about how the Coe and Shee are run. But how do they compare as local economic models?

sweepy
    Free Member

Things there have been on the slide for some time, you would be forgiven for thinking the management team were piste.

oldtennisshoes

Interesting take on things here – http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2018/11/30/the-immediate-consequences-of-cairngorm-mountain-ltd-going-bust

Maybe FCS are the saviours we are looking for.

Sanny
    Free Member

Why would anyone want to take on a ski resort in Scotland? The key infrastructure has the potential to require a significant cash injection just to get it working again, winters are getting warmer and wetter and no matter how you package it, it is easier for folk to fly to the Alps than for anyone down south to head to Aviemore. I say this as someone who loves the area but as a commercial proposition, my accountant head is hearing alarm bells ringing.

Sanny
    Free Member

For those who have bought season passes, I would advise that you contact your bank as you may be able to recover your money if you have paid by credit or debit card.

Regarding the opinion piece, I would suggest the the author is letting their passion cloud their judgement. There is no obligation other than a very tenuous implied  moral one for HIE to pay off creditors. What the likes of House of Fraser and other recent failures should teach us that unsecured creditors are unlikely to see much, if any, return of funds for goods supplied and services rendered.

As for a community buy out, the challenge will come from being able to run the operation without running up potentially significant losses. Even if they get it for free and assuming that the funicular is repaired at no cost to them (again not something I would think likely), it will require a cold, hard look at the long term financial viability of the mountain.

For local businesses and customers, the future of the mountain at this point looks bleak. My only advice would be to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

scotroutes

The funicular (as with all the assets) belongs to HIE so they’ll either have to fix it or take it out and replace it with other uplift – or close Cairngorm Mountain.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Scotroutes.

Just to add another buggeration factor, the funicular was part funded with European Money.   If the funicular closes for good, if memory serves, those funds could be subject to being payable back to Europe. I understand that the operative period is 25 years.

The big challenge will come with trying to attract back those visitors who go elsewhere in the absence of the funicular. I like Cairngorm Mountain but without the funicular running, who is going to go to Aviemore when they could go to the other four Scottish resorts or abroad? I sincerely hope the issues with the track aren’t as bleak as painted but if the funicular is out of action for the season, it will be an incredibly hard sell to get those visitors back.

Cheers

Sanny

matt_outandabout

Why would anyone want to take on a ski resort in Scotland?

Surely it’s a resort, that offers attraction and activity summer and winter? I would have thought that summer earns more than winter, if it’s done well..?

oldtennisshoes

I think I read somewhere that there as many summer visitors as in winter. A summer ticket is cheaper than a snow sports one though.

An increase in summer footfall may be possible if the mtb side can be developed and restrictions on access outwith the summit buildings could be eased.

Rubbish situation though. There must be a good will element which will need to be taken into account with the season passes though – especially for locals or longer term damage is inevitable,

matt_outandabout

A summer ticket is cheaper than a snow sports one though.

And no ski patrol, no snow clearance or movement, no lifties etc. Lower cost, but much lower overheads surely.

duckman

Well, I am booked for New Year in Aviemore, snow sports isn’t the be all and end all.

somafunk

good summation of the issues and background on radio scotland out of doors program here (starts about 30 mins in)

legend
    Free Member

The big challenge will come with trying to attract back those visitors who go elsewhere in the absence of the funicular.

Not really, at least not in winter. If everyone heads to the other resorts then they’ll be unbearably busy, so figures that when all resorts open again that the crowds will spread out

martinhutch

An increase in summer footfall may be possible if the mtb side can be developed and restrictions on access outwith the summit buildings could be eased.

The whole reason so many people were vehemently opposed in the first place to the funicular despite the stringent access restrictions to protect the plateau environment was because they knew that as soon as an operator ran into financial problems, there would be pressure (likely successful) to ease them to save jobs.

oldtennisshoes

A view, a brew & a loo. I’d hazard that a large majority of folk that use the furnicular in summer are not interested in venturing more than 200m from the Ptarmigan. You could have controlled access to the proper summit for the <20% capable and interested in doing so. Certainly worth considering. The natural heritage politics and climate have moved on significantly since the turn of this century. Access now trumps protection in all but the most sensitive of areas, and rightly so IMHO.

scotroutes

You could have controlled access to the proper summit for the <20% capable and interested in doing so.

Ranger led walks have been available for some time.

oldtennisshoes

Ranger led walks have been available for some time.

Aye, perhaps something slightly less regimented and needed to be booked in advance might be better though.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 257 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.