Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cafetiere help please
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok, I currently use a cafetiere on a gas hob. Everytime the coffee tastes slightly bitter, bland and sometimes I you can taste a hint of the ‘metal(allic?) itself?

I’ve used Lavaza, Starbucks etc and when making I boil the water first then gentle heat until it evaporates through. Tips etc greatfully received- recommend me a better cafetiere possibly as well?

MrNutt
    Free Member

is it new? stop cleaning it so much!!

hora
    Free Member

Probably a year old now- always the same though

trailmonkey

TBH, it sounds like you’re scorching the coffee.

hora
    Free Member

Trailmonkey, how do I avoid. I’ve got the cafetiere, coffee etc ready to experiment Sir! 8)

MrNutt
    Free Member

less heat loner time dear boy

hora
    Free Member

and dont pre-boil the water?

trailmonkey

Not sure about the pre boil. I use boiling water in a plunger style cafetiere and that seems OK. I’d say that it’s prolonged heat that’s causing the problem. I always find that metalic taste occurs if a percolated pot has stood on the hot plate for a while.

Stoner
    Free Member

dont ever wash it.

hora
    Free Member

Err horse bolted and all that Stoner

Stoner
    Free Member

OK, stop washing it and use it a few more times and you will find the flavour improve as the coffee oils cure the al.

johnners
    Free Member

I hope you’re not actually using a cafetiere on a stove top. Aren’t they the glass things with plungers?

trailmonkey

Slightly OT but I’m not sure from where the word cafetiere derives. France would seem the obvious choice but, I was once in a shop in the Charente area and asked the shopkeeper ( in my terrible French ) if the coffee I’d picked up was suitable for a cafetiere. She looked at me puzzled so I repeated myself but this time, mimed the plunging action.” Ahh Italienne ” was her response. So, it would seem that “cafetiere” is not a French word after all.

Stoner
    Free Member

TM – you sure she wasnt just being awkward. They do that you know ? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Johnners – Im assuming hora means a stove top aluminiium percolator, not a Bodum cafetiere, not even hora’s that daft. Please hora?

MrNutt
    Free Member

course grind for a coffee press, finer for expresso

trailmonkey

TM – you sure she wasnt just being awkward. They do that you know ?

No, if she was being awkward, she would have let me struggle along in my schoolboy French for the first 10 days of my holiday before finally speaking to me in perfect English with a slightly clipped public school accent.

I’ve had the bleeders do that to me before now. 😡

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂

Del

well i’ve let you struggle along in your schoolboy devonian for about two years now….
    🙂
    known as a ‘french press’ as well i think ( according to the aforementioned bodum )

see you later.

Stoner
    Free Member

‘french press’

sounds like a kind of foreplay

hora
    Free Member

TM, maybe she thought you were a sexmad Italian Tourist? 😉

Stoner, per-lease. It wouldnt be a mental-taste it would be shards of glass.

Ok, stop washing. I’ll retry in a mo. Shouldn’t you lot be riding? I’m cycling to the gym in abit (only 5miles each way)

Stoner
    Free Member

Im 1/3 man, 2/3 snot at the moment.

hora
    Free Member

I rode to the gym yesterday as well and when I got back in I was slurring my words as my jaw was numb/frozen so also a tad snotty now..

charliedontsurf

long low and slow
    also you must “tamp” , compress the coffee.
    I recal seeing Jo Burt with a tiny stove top one at sswc, must have made one tiny super strength shot, seems to work, I recall being passed by him.

MrNutt
    Free Member

went out twice yesterday, will probably go out later today, just took the rubbish out and was blasted by a freezing wind though so its gonna have to be the woods rather than out across the howling downs!

hora
    Free Member

Right, will do. I stopped compressing the coffee down when I binned my old Gaggia maker.

Hang on..

hora
    Free Member

Done. for cold water it still (on the tiny ring) heated up fairly quickly. I can taste the coffee now (depth) and the coffees awful.

Recommendations for (ground) coffee muchly appreciated!

Stoner
    Free Member

if youve been washing it Mark, its going to take a few goes to stop it tasting like domestos.

Waitrose beans are good if you cant find gucci ones else where. Im not a fan of hasbean.co.uk like many on here.

at Mr Nutts tip I am currently enjoying some Blue Mountain off mrs tuplips on ebay which is pretty good.

Hill and Valley was my favourtie but they blew it when they demanded you order half a tonne at a time.

jester
    Free Member

I use one of these and Lavazza coffee.

Do you think illy coffee is worth it?

Stoner
    Free Member

I prefer to grind beans that I source myself. Never really like lavazza or illy – too bitter, no depth of character.

MrNutt
    Free Member

what Stoner said, illy & lavazza are all pretty tins and advertising.

jester
    Free Member

And I’ve just bought a tin of illy!

Seems a bit muddy to me, and a little to bitter.

hora
    Free Member

Seems a bit muddy to me, and a little to bitter. Agree. Will look up Stoners recommendations.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Despite Stoner’s comments I’d recommend Hasbean for coffee.

They have very extensive tasting notes for each blend so, if you know what sort of taste you’re going for, you should be able to find it.

For example I prefer a less bitter, more spicy taste so go for the Sumatran blends.

Delivery is fast as well. Usually within a day or two of roasting.

nickc

Waitrose do a very nice all round coffee called Monsooned Malayan. Beans or ground. More than acceptable for most occasions. Beans are best ground as one needs them.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cafetiere help please’ is closed to new replies.