Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Caesars Camp & Tunnel Hill Update?
  • scottfitz
    Free Member

Had a very polite conversation with a guy from landmark this lunchtime. Informed/reminded me that MTBs weren’t really allowed to ride there and advised me that the MoD are clamming down on it. He was a nice guy.

Bit of background:
    I’m not a local so I don’t know the full story, I work in Farnborough and until recently I ran at linchtimes but recently one of my knees hasn’t been playing ball so I have been doing short lunchtime blasts(45mins ish). Both tunnel hill and Caesars camp take about 12mins for me to get to.

A couple of times I have seen the army training so I rode the other way and tried not to disturb them.

So what is the current situation?

theotherjonv
    ninfan
    Free Member

A couple of times I have seen the army training so I rode the other way and tried not to disturb them

BLUF: keep doing that

There’s some stuff behind the scenes, MOD are walking through treacle on their renewal of the byelaws, that’s when things might demand the MTB community letting their voice be heard, in the meantime carry on as normal.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cheers, so stick to code of conduct as above.

allthepies
    Free Member

Which of the two locations did the chat take place at ?

theotherjonv

Cheers, so stick to code of conduct as above.

Basically yes. According to their interpretation of the byelaws we are restricted to tracks suitable for vehicular traffic. Quite what that interpretation is, and whether they are right would take a long time to explain, and i wouldn’t agree with them anyway, so best policy is to not create too much fuss or disruption, head in the other direction, and behave like a model citizen.

david47
    Free Member

We ride the other way, its a big enough space to ride elsewhere…
    Unfortunately there some that don’t…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

One of the guys from BikeSwanky has a lot of dealings with the army guys and reckons that some of the army ‘higher echelons’ are realising that mtbing for their troops is actually a good way to keep them fit without prematurely wearing them out from route marches/running/etc.

scottfitz
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

Which of the two locations did the chat take place at ?
    Caesars Camp at the top of the trail that goes past a pillbox near the start

gren
    Free Member

I get a smile and a wave whenever I pass squaddies or Landmarc on Tunnel or even in the middle of Ash Ranges (obviously when the flags are down). I ride there 2-3 times a week and have never had a problem.

Only time I was asked to move on the troops told me exactly where would be quiet for the rest of the day.

None of this has changed in the last few years BUT I’d always be polite and turn around if I came across any exercises. It is their playground after all.

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

i was up there recently, taking care not to offend anybody, and some army guys were approaching on quad bikes. We moved well out of the way and waved at them, and they all nodded back at us, which was nice.

Whilst things are up in the air, I just make sure to be as polite and inoffensive as possible.

Stiggy

As above and don’t nightride round there. A lot of riders would be gutted if we lost access to MOD land.

thepurist

I just make sure to be as polite and inoffensive as possible.

Surely good advice for anyone riding on private land when they encounter the land owner or their agents. Can’t see any reason for being gobby to them, especially if they’re armed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rode through a fair number of troops yesterday on the MOD bit south of Swinley. It was on the main thoroughfare that comes out of Camberly into the woods, and there were plenty of dog walkers etc as well as me. Nothing more than a few casual nods and sporadic gunfire from the trees.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I still ride there regularly. If I see squaddies, I either turn around, or I politely ask where they’re training, so I can go somewhere else.
    I’ve had nothing but help and smiles from the army at tunnel hill.

Alpha1653

Having been an instructor and used that area extensively for exercises, having people walk/run/ride though the middle of your harbour area or patrol lane when you’re trying to install at least a bit of realism into the guys is a pain in the arse. This is especially true when you’re using blank rounds and pyrotechnics as the danger range for use with civvies around is over 100metres – basically, if we can see you, it has an effect on training. Unfortunately, I’ve been on the receiving end of some very inconsiderate people who can’t understand this and this is where the problem lies.

On the flip side, I had absolutely no issue with others using the area as long as they kept out of the way. Having worked with dozens of other instructors, I’ve not knowingly met anyone who thinks differently. As several posts above say, abide by the code of conduct of you come across guys training, ask where they are not training so you can go there instead. That way, everyone’s happy! 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

I live just down the road from Caesars and use it all the time. I always turn around or get out of the way when I see the guy out training. From what I’ve seen, many of the summer casual riders just plough on through as they don’t know any different. ( or lack common sense which is getting less and less common )
    It’s a privilege it live so close to such a great natural area which I can use and enjoy.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Always try to keep out of the way myself, and likewise when on group rides with the Trolls. Very occasionally we bump into them, turn around or maybe we’re approached and just ask where’s best to go that won’t bother them. It’s always been fine until the other week and we got one giving us the official line about not being allowed here etc and wouldn’t help by saying where to avoid. Wasn’t even Landmarc, was a guy with a gun. Plus was on Tunnel Hill and usually I’ve heard people get told to clear off from Minley and Caesars.

There’s been an increase in ops on TH though and getting harder to steer clear.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Caesars Camp & Tunnel Hill Update?’ is closed to new replies.