Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cable Cutter Recommendations
  • fathomer

I appreciate this has been done before but looking for some recommendations and it’s been a while as far as I can see.

Looking to spend £20 ish, they’ll be replacing some old Superstar ones that are now a bit blunt after cutting 64x spokes 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the Draper Expert ones which are pretty widely available for about £10 (I suppose you could buy 2 and keep one for best). Do the job just fine.

snotrag

Just bought the Park Tools CN-10 for about £20 from CRC. I’ve had chaper ones for home use but I used to use the Park ones when I worked in a shop and they are very nice.
    So long as I dont lose them, I dont envisage ever having to buy another set.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Another set of £8 cutters and don’t use them to cut spokes?

mattbee

My Park ones are coming up for 20 years old. If they broke I’d buy another set.

lunge

I have the Park tools one and whilst they may be fine for spokes they’re pretty crap for cables. The cheap ones from Planet-X are loads better.

whatgoesup

My Park ones disappeared a few years ago – three house moves later I finally admitted they were fine and bought some £10 Draper Expert ones which just fine -if not better.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

[don’t cut spokes with cable cutters…]

Felco if you want the best… not cheap though. Mine are over ten years old.

leffeboy

I have the Park tools one and whilst they may be fine for spokes they’re pretty crap for cables.

That.  The tightness has to be super carefully adjusted to make them work.  Pain in the arse and wouldn’t buy again.  I get the impression from reviews that there is some quality control issue because some folks love them and some folks hate them.  I’m using Knipex 95 16s now which are the next price range up (but work).

tall_martin

Cheap bbb cutters have worked perfectly for me since 2005. £2 pliers are perfect for spokes

martinhutch
    murdooverthehill

As tall_martin, recently bought the x-tools one, works fine for me

mariner
    Free Member

I use the Jagwire cutter tool currently 20p over budget at Tredz.
    It also does the cable end cap.
    A thick bradle or spike opens up the outer housing after cutting.

Northwind

Wire rope cutter off ebay. You can buy literally the same thing branded as Pedros or Xtools if not being bike branded bothers you, or get the Draper ones and rub off the logos if it has to be blue. But they’re as good as any bike-specific cable tool I’ve ever used and better than most, including…

reggiegasket

[don’t cut spokes with cable cutters…]

As far as I can tell that’s what the Park cable cutters are for. They’re good at doing cable ends, and they’re great at cutting spokes. Shit at cables though.

BadlyWiredDog

My Park ones are fine at cutting inners and cable housings. Maybe those having issues just have Trumpian hands? 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m doing well with the Birzman cutter. Neat and easy cuts. Also like the built in bradawl for opening housing ends.

woodster

My Draper ones have cut lots more spokes than that and still cut cable neatly.

stumpy01

I’ve got some of those x-tools ones and they are pretty good. Always impresses me how easily they cut through steel cable.

fathomer

Thanks for all the above, the X-Tools look good for the money.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cable Cutter Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.