Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • C456 with rigid forks
  • Underhill
    Free Member

Looking at the carbon monocoque forks at On One to fit to my C456. Is anyone running this combo?

Currently have a set of 130mm Revs on it so think the 470 tapered steerer will give the same feel. Just wondering about thevfeel if the ride,is it likely to get much more harsh?

TIA

Northwind

I didn’t use those exact forks but rode mine a bit with my Exotics, worked really well. I think they’re 465mm- 29er really but work well as a “long travel” rigid.

Underhill
    Free Member

Sounds similar then. Think I’ll give it a try.

Thanks

plyphon
    Free Member

The 456 works with 4, 5, or 6 inches of travel – there really isn’t need to run massive 29er forks as the frame is designed to work with 100mm “regular” forks.

Northwind

Designed to maybe, but it’s far from its best.

brassneck

My original Ti456 feels plain weird wound down to 100mm, 120mm feels like it’s being a bit short changed too. Haven’t tried my Bonty switchblades on it but I don’t think it’d be good – something longer called for.

chris_db
    Free Member

Should be a good opportunity to rattle your teeth out.

Underhill
    Free Member

That’s what I’m going for Chris. Realistically, it’ll be mostly used for riding round the local forest lanes which are all pretty smooth anyway.

Reason for looking at the 470mm instead of the 450s is that I already find the front end fairly low so don’t really want to drop it further.

Probably a better use of the money would be to look at investing in a cx or ss but where’s the fun in just having another bike?

Northwind

It’s not so much about the toothrattling, you get used to riding softer… And a big tyre helps a lot too, if you want that. The big difference is grip, you can forget that forks aren’t just soaking up impacts, they’re tracking the ground, so it’s really odd readjusting.

Rigid mtb > cx bike imo. Though you get more amusing reactions on a cross bike. It is moreish though, I used to swap forks but I ended up building a whole other rigid bike.

Underhill
    Free Member

That’s sort of the plan. Still have my old Summer Season frame & intending to restore it to ht duties, or possibly build the Trailstar up for pump track/trail centre duties.

avdave2

You could always consider shorter forks and a bigger wheel. I run one bike as a rigid 69er in summer and think it’s generally better than in 26 26 mode. I only change it back in winter as I’ve got a dynamo hub in my 26″ wheel. I think the C456 is a good candidate for the treatment as the BB will remain at a good height and the relatively long tt means toe overlap is less likely to be an issue.

Northwind

And also, it’s already pretty bloomin ugly so 69ering will be but one more cosmetic disaster 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘C456 with rigid forks’ is closed to new replies.