Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Bye bye iplayer radio app….
  • IHN

The sounds app interface is really quite clunky and unintuitive compared to iPlayer. Don’t like it.

Agreed

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

well playing back downloads on my iplayer radio app just lost all the sound whereas live radio still works.

So I removed my downloads (I downloaded one yesterday) and attempts to redownload are failing !

And iplayer radio app is not on the apple store now…

Listening to catch up shows on normal download quality and it’s not good…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try get_iplayer if you want to download stuff? Not sure what bit rate it uses.

get_iplayer worked.

It looks like a big, nasty shell script and there are numerous command line options, but on Windows there is a basic GUI interface and if you modify the search options it shows the command being executed int he command window – if you want to automate it.

Downloads default to the highest quality.

So downloaded and used itunes to put them on the ipad which was easy as they are .m4a files.

Can also put the downloads on the NAS for use on the main hifi.

So a great solution until the BBC spot that there is no point producing the high quality files as BBC Sounds can’t use them.

Thanks for the tip.

Sandwich

Forced onto Sounds last night. It’s not great is it?

kentishman
    Free Member

Forced to use sounds today. it just buffers and never starts when trying to listen to live radio. So gave up and went elsewhere.

grtdkad

BBC Radio iplayer gone altogether on my iphone. Just N/A.

Fairly annoying.

somafunk

BBC sounds is **** shite to use, when browsing the schedules all you can see is a couple of programs at a time on screen and I haven’t found any way to choose a bit rate for downloads, if there is one?.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you can’t change the bitrate – I complained and they said :

“it defaults at the “Best all-rounder” quality which has a great balance of both audio quality and disk space.”

and

“At the moment, there aren’t any plans to include higher quality downloads on the app. We reviewed the usage data and found that only a very small number of users opted to use the higher quality downloads on the iPlayer Radio app, so the option won’t be included on BBC Sounds. ”

that sounds like an incredibly laszy response – the files to download are produced and available and there is prototype code in iplayer radio to half-inch.

It is possible to get them using the get_iplayer program, as highlighted above. But how long that bitrate will be available is another matter.

When it goes so does my TV license subscription…

I tried that ‘great’ download quality and it is unlistenable with headphones – very poor.

Sad to watch the BBC in a race to the bottom when it used to lead the world for standards…

Jamze

So the next stage of forcing people onto BBC Sounds. BBC Radio dumped TuneIn for UK listeners this week. So no more BBC Radio at home on our Alexa/Sonos setup 👎🏻 And the BBC skill is cr*p, you lose most of the Alexa functionality (multiroom, alarms, routines, Sonos integration, stereo…)

Kieran Clifton, Director, BBC Distribution & Business Development has published the following blog yesterday entitled ‘An update on the BBC and TuneIn’ which addresses comments and questions around the changes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/45fa0731-189c-43eb-8e4f-3071b8384895

simondbarnes

Sounds app still crap. I often have the radio on at night casting to amp/speakers in my bedroom with the timer set to turn it off after say 3 hours. Worked perfectly with iplayer radio. Now after the timer runs out instead of just turning off it stops casting and starts blasting out of my phone speakers waking me up 🤬

Jamze

When I queried the BBC dumping TuneIn (and thus removing all my Alexa/Sonos functionality) the advice that came back was that I should use BBC Sounds on a phone, and Bluetooth to one of my Echos. Yeah right, we’re all going to sit around one echo like it’s some ’50s wireless.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They will be stopping VHF and DAB broadcasts soon as you can’t collect data on the users from it.

And Freeview for that matter.

The BBC gets more and more pathetic.

See my post earlier with the URLs to the high quality streams, perhaps you can do something with those ? My Roon can tune in to them.

onehundredthidiot

I’m now getting adverts for other BBC stuff when I’m on the app. I don’t care about some comedian’s take on Brexit, and if I did it’d be the news quiz. I need to know how Ian is with the baby and what Lexi is going to do

Jamze

See my post earlier with the URLs to the high quality streams, perhaps you can do something with those ? My Roon can tune in to them.

Cheers. From what I know I’d have to create an Alexa developer account and start creating custom radio skills. Can’t be bothered. The house has now given up on the BBC and moved to talkRADIO/Virgin/Radio X/Amazon Music. Sod ’em.

Notice somebody has created a petition concerning the BBC dumping TuneIn…

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-restore-bbc-radio-streams-to-tunein

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So foreign users can still stream via TuneIn whereas license fee payers can’t ?

The whole thing is ridiculous – the sooner the BBC lose the license fee the better. The argument that they produce better quality programming than others is long past it’s sell by date now

Sandwich

https://www.mamp.info/receiver/en/ This looks like it might be the answer to our needs plus a bit more as it supports Car Play and has a countdown sleep timer and alarm £3.99 on iOS plus it syncs favourites across devices via iCloud or DropBox. I’ll be test driving it for a while to check it can do the job.

Jamze

So foreign users can still stream via TuneIn whereas license fee payers can’t ?

Yep. Wonder what the BBC and TuneIn fell out over? They go on about inability to gather the data they wanted on their blog. Must have been important to justify dumping thousands (millions?) of listeners.

Also, this is all I get when I try to use BBC Sounds in the car. All the other music sources (Amazon, TuneIn, Pocket Casts etc.) work fine…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can confirm that Receiver Radio is able to currently play the BBC Radio streams – just bought it.

It also works for the high definition BBC streams I listed earlier – just set them all up and tested, apart from BBC Asian Network…

Sandwich

TurnerGuy the alarms are customisable, as many as you want can be stored. Plus the iOS app can be downloaded to AppleTV or vice versa. Will be checking tonight if Family sharing allows the app to download to Mrs S phone.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well nobody mention Receiver Radio if they leave a poor review for BBC Sounds, just in case it alerts the BBC to them having competition.

We used to tune the radio in to pirate radio stations when working at the BBC Research Dept. The problem was we were in the TV and Radio planning department so invariably a radio engineer would come in, notice the frequency, make a phone call and a few hours later that station would go quiet !

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Currently listening to Deep House Radio (DHR) – Deep House Music 24/7 – The Deeper Sound Of The Underground Live from Cork City, Ireland “We Go Deep !” 🙂

Under the High Sound Quality list.

Nice simple, clean interface

Jamze

Been using Radioplayer for a week. Seems good. Both Android and iOS, free, only permission it requires is location – says it needs that to work out your local radio stations. Not noticed many ads.

Has alarms and sleep timers. Nice and simple once you’ve set your favourite stations, and it has a schedule under ‘more’ where you can easily scroll back and listen to a show on catchup.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/radioplayer-uk-radio-is-here/id563906005
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.radioplayer&hl=en_GB

pedlad

So re the Echo / BBC / Tunein issue – I’ve used this a lot to play bbc radio on my sonos and missing the voice activation a lot (1st world problems I know). Confusingly though bbc radio via tunein on the sonos app is still available….?

So I can play it just have to pick up the phone…..(as I said above)
    Anyone know of another way to voice activate BBC radio on my sonos via the echo?

ps signed the petition

snowy1
    Free Member

Anyone know of another way to voice activate BBC radio on my sonos via the echo?

It’s possible using IFTTT.

Add the IFTTT skill to your Alexa, and sign in. Then go to the Alexa app and create a new skill:

If: choose Alexa trigger and enter the text “radio 3 in the kitchen”
    Then: choose Sonos favourite then select a radio station from your favourites.

It works, but you need to create an applet for every combination of rooms and radio stations.

pedlad

Thanks – I’ve linked an IFTTT acount to alexa but struggling to see where on the alexa app I create the new skill – the IFTTT steps?

snowy1
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ve linked an IFTTT acount to alexa but struggling to see where on the alexa app I create the new skill – the IFTTT steps?

Oh yes my mistake – I typed it in a rush. You create the applet in the IFTTT app or website:

Add the IFTTT skill to your Alexa, and sign in. Then go to the Alexa app and create a new skill IFTTT then create a new applet:

If: choose Alexa trigger and enter the text “radio 3 in the kitchen”
    Then: choose Sonos favourite then select a radio station from your favourites.

Del

After they canned TuneIn I reluctantly installed sounds, and I’m pleasantly surprised at how good it is for my purposes.
    Support remains for Google home and Chromecast too.

Sandwich

Family sharing did not allow the App onto MrsS iPhone. Can’t win them all.

The clock is a bit brighter than the old iPlayer Radio one but the numbers are readable with my contacts in due to he size. Well worth £4.

Apparently there are Siri shortcuts that allow a Homepod to play radio too.

nicko74

When I queried the BBC dumping TuneIn (and thus removing all my Alexa/Sonos functionality)

Sh*t, I missed this. TuneIn is horrendous – randomly losing streams, dropping a radio show halfway through it playing back, etc – but without it BBC on Sonos becomes even more challenging.

I have had some success using direct stream urls (as posted above) through Sonos, but you obviously lose the ability to play back shows like Craig Charles Funk n Soul Show.

oikeith

I used to only use the Tunein Radio App for the occasional live listen to BBC radio stations when at work, when it stopped streaming them I switched to the sounds app and have to say its actually got me listening to more BBC radio shows! Scrolling back through the schedule and listening to a show I’d missed or am not awake to listen to like the Radio 1 indie show, the shows having a track list too I find really useful.

alpin
    Free Member

Oddly here in Germany the old style iplayer app is still working as it always has… Maybe it’s UK specific…?

alpin
    Free Member

Well even here in Germany time has come to say auf wiedersehen (although ironically that translates to “see you again”) to the original iplayer app.

Now I’ve got the Sounds app. It’s there any alarm clock function? Quite like waking up to a bit of classical music on R3.

IHN

Just had a quick look, no alarm function that I can find. Maybe possible by some ‘OK Google’ jiggery-pokery?

peterno51

Try the RadioPlayer app instead, it has the alarm clock function and is a lot more like the old app.

I use it for Virgin radio, which has turned out to be rather splendid.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye iplayer radio app….’ is closed to new replies.