Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Buying used disc brakes a good idea? Eg Zees
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Looking for a set of Zees to replace my BB7s, think buying used could be good? What to what to watch out for?

Generally I’d look for a forum seller or well reviewed eBay seller.

joebristol

I don’t think I’d buy a second hand Shimano disc brake – I’d want the warranty. That said, for most makes I’d probably not buy a second hand brake either – although I did buy some nearly new Sram guides and they’ve been ok.

If you locate some brakes that someone has taken off a new bike to replace with their preferred brake (lots of bikes come with guide r or Shimano Deore) – a lot of people want to put Hope on for example – hen hat might be an option.

tjagain

I have only got second hand hopes on my bikes.  I woulodn’t buy second hand shimanos tho in case of seal issues as you can’t get spares

richmars

I’ve always bought second hand Shimano’s. Never had a problem. (3 pairs, oldest about 12 years old.)

jam-bo

On the basis of how cheap and good deores are, I’m not sure why you’d buy s/h shimano brakes.

tjagain

good point jambo.

Kahurangi

I run shimano brakes – given my experiences with them and their price new, I wouldn’t buy second hand.

FWIW, Zees are a completely different brake to BB7s. Why the big change? My gnarliest bike is running Deore – they’re great and have lasted as long or longer than the XTs before.

dudeofdoom

On the basis of how cheap and good deores are, I’m not sure why you’d buy s/h shimano brakes.

He’s not wrong.

I’ve bought brakes  s/h and always factor in posssible bits you may have to buy to make it all work and sometimes it doesn’t make economical sense to buy used.

I’ve also hunted down take offs as they can be a good deal.

kayla1
    Free Member

The Zees on my bike were bought second hand and they’ve been faultless (so far, 7 months in…) I love them. “My brakes are too good!” said nobody, ever. OH has 2nd hand SLXs on his hardtail and they’re fine as well. As long as the seller isn’t a total chimp who should have their tools taken off them and banned from owning bikes for life, I’ve found used stuff’s usually ok as long as you’re not expecting brand-new condition or any support from the seller if something goes awry after a couple of weeks.

ehrob

The Zees I’ve had the last 3.5 years are near enough dead now. But they’ve not had an easy life, and I’m actually reasonably satisfied with that given the amount of stick they’ve had, and lack of maintenance they’ve needed (1 bleed/clean and lots of new pads). I suspect its the levers that have the issues, which are available as separate units I think. When I get round to it I’ll probably get new ones and see if this fixes the issues.

Not sure I’d buy second hand ones if I’m honest though, especially from an unknown source. You just have to accept they might die pretty quick. Or they might be fine.

Yak

Shimano’s are great, but they are like trigger’s broom. 2nd hand is fine, just accept that you most likely will be changing calipers/levers at some point.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been running Shimano brakes for a long time now, people complain about them a lot, but really if you get your head around the quirks they damn near faultless.

I personally wouldn’t buy them second-hand though, simply because the wrong oil will ruin them and they can’t be repaired, only replaced. If someone’s been tempted by that ‘Mineral Oil for Brakes’ Halfords always have on the shelf they’re basically borked even if they’re working the day you buy them, the piston seals will go first, then the levers.

I’ve run Deores and they are very good, but lack a bit of power for me for the odd “oooooooh shit” moment when you want to really throw the anchor out. SLX are absolutely fine though.

philjunior
    Free Member

I got some XT M785s at a decent price second hand (about deore price) – they can’t have been used for more than a ride round the car park if that.

They were cheap enough that a new caliper or lever could be funded if needed. Plus the internet says they’re more reliable than later versions (not that I necessarily believe the newer ones are that bad, but I know people who’ve had plenty of problems.).

I’ve run basic non-series Shimano brakes too, and they were fine, not as powerful but perhaps that’s the age of the brakes more than the model. And very cheap, if you want warranty backup the only issue with them is they’re so cheap it wouldn’t be worth the hassle.

As a side note I’ve had other brakes second hand very cheap or free from friends that have had hard use and then I’ve not used for long as they’ve needed a bit of sorting out and I just don’t have the time!

dmorts
    scaredypants

“My brakes are too good!” said nobody, ever

“These brakes are too **** grabby” said me, every time I’ve used shimano in the last few years.  I’ve heard that the newer ones might be better on this score – that true ?

DezB
    Free Member

So, if you bought a second hand bike, with Shimano brakes, you’d change them? Odd.

I have 5 bikes with Shimano disc brakes and if I were to sell any of them, the buyer would get perfectly functional brakes. Including the M965 XTRs with mismatched levers!

shinsplints

a lot of people want to put Hope on for example – hen hat might be an option.

When are Hope releasing the new hen hat model ?

yohandsome
    Free Member

Zeems like it can work, want those as they have a proven track record in trials where you want tons of power plus im 90 kg. Also they might work well with my HS1 rotors I have lying around.

bigjim

My zees are 3.5 years old and still working great, longer without going weird than any shimano brake I’ve had before I think, but I think I only paid £60 an end so if you can find them cheap and new I wouldn’t bother with second hand unless you know the person you’re buying them off hasn’t done anything daft with them

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Doesn’t shimano gear just snap like nobodies business for no reason at all?

bubs

I’m a big fan of Magura brakes (particularly the mt6) and have only ever bought one set of these new.  I try to find the “just taken off a new bike” ones as they don’t seem to be a popular brand and people swap them out for something more familiar.  Zees may be a different matter I guess.

jamesoz

I could sell you my old set of Zee’s. They feel brilliant for normal riding so you’d be chuffed but as soon as they’re pushed hard they get inconsistent and you won’t be sure if it’s the lever or the calliper.

2nd hand I’d only  buy brakes with replaceable seals. Which I have done on the past with no regrets. Just budget for complete seal kits.

martymac

Ghostlymachine, only the slx cranks mate👍👍

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Buying used disc brakes a good idea? Eg Zees’ is closed to new replies.