Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Buying new walking boots
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And wanting to go to a bricks and mortar shop. What an embuggerange, eh?

There’s the homogenized, but possibly viable Cotswold/Ellis Brigham types, but where else to try? London or South preferred, anyone got any recommendations of good independent places to try?

bsims
    Free Member

Penrose Outdoors in Truro, A bit far for you?

I think I read that they have been bought out by a large player though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Internet.

Why limit yourself to a few different brands?.

I buy all my road running, hill running and trail shoes online, and my walking boots too.

Never had an issue.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Send your butler to try some?

RustySpanner

Llanberis.
    Make a weekend of it?

If you fancy something German and handmade, drop me a line.

davosaurusrex

Good little place in Lewes, forget the name

Lionheart
    Free Member

These are really worth a look, some excellent boots and made for U.K. feet!
    https://www.altberg.co.uk/

johnners
    Free Member

These are really worth a look, some excellent boots and made for U.K. feet!
    https://www.altberg.co.uk/

That’s what works for me, so the answer to

London or South preferred, anyone got any recommendations of good independent places to try?

is going to be your nearest Altberg stockist.

maccruiskeen

is going to be your nearest Altberg stockist.

the tricky thing is though.. Altberg’s USP is the wide range of different lasts and width fittings they use. ‘Stockists’ often struggle to hold much of the stock you’d want to try if you are specifically shopping for Altbergs. Generally though the people who do stock some of their stuff also stock other good stuff too so theres a good chance you’ll walk out with boots that fit and that you like and those boots might be Altbergs.

crewlie

Lockwood in Leamington Spa. Southish, great reputation for walking and ski boot fitting…and they’re Altberg stockists. Have bought all my ski/walking boots from there. They fit you to what you need not what you think you want.

IHN

I walked into Go Outdoors in Swindon, saw the last box of a pair of Asolo boots in the end-of-line jumble, they fit beautifully, and were reduced to £60 from £160.

This might not be amazingly helpful 🙂

piha
    Free Member

I am a great advocate of bricks & mortar shops when it comes to trying on boots, shoes & the like, but I just give up now. Limited stock, wrong sizes and uninterested staff. I would love to know of a great shop in the south/southeast that isn’t too difficult to get to and ticks most of the size, range, service boxes.

Failing that, I recently bought a pair of Zamberlan’s from Uttings of Norwich. I’m very impressed with the boots and service from Uttings too.

beicmodur
    Free Member

Decathalon – all the shoes sizes are there to try out at your leisure. i.e. you don’t have to talk to humans.

As well as their own brand they stock Solomon, Lowa, Teccnica and Merrerll etc.

I can’t recommend the Quechua 500 waterproof boots enough. I tried on 20+ pairs of boots before I found these. 100% waterproof, tread that will grip anything and only £55.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh500-mid-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-blue-orange-id_8492128.html

scruff9252

Those decathlon ones are the same as I’ve had for a year now. I agree they are very comfortable.

However mine live by the front door and used thrice daily for dog walks – just last week I’ve noted that the waterproofing around the toe box is failing and I’m getting a damp foot.

Despite their hard life and walking probably thousands of kms, there is remarkably little wear on the sole and still in good condition overall.

Just need to work out what reproofing agent they need.

johnners
    Free Member

Limited stock, wrong sizes and uninterested staff.

That’s not good, but couldn’t be further from my experience at Taunton Leisure where I bought my Altbergs a couple of years ago. I was in there at least an hour with the undivided attention of a bloke who really knew his stuff. I don’t know what the markup is on a £180 pair of boots but he really earned it.

Moses

How about a walking weekend in the Dales combined with a visit to Altberg’s site? (Make an appointment) Mrs M has a broken toe bone, Altberg’s fitting service has made a huge difference to her enjoyment of life.
    Don’t knock Cotswold Leisure too much, I had terrific service from them when I last bought a pair of Scarpas from them.

lunge

Lockwood in Leamington Spa

This is where I’ve got my last couple of pairs from, some lovely Zamberlan leather boots where the last pair and I’ve been very impressed by them.

footflaps

Surely CFH will have his handmade my an Italian Artisan, having first shot the animal whose hide will be used to make his boots?

Something like

nedrapier

CFH probably knows this already, but it’s worth going to a place with a fitter that knows their onions. I’ve always had issues, particularly with boots that were crucial on fit – snowboard boots and more rigid walking boots, until a chap in Cotwolds pointed out that I had low volume feet. Normal arch, wide-ish at the forefoot, normal heel – I knew all that, but never considered the volume/depth of my foot. To get shoes to the right tightness, I’d pull more lace out of the shoe, less tongue showing, sides of the shoe pulled over at an angle they weren’t designed for -> problems.

Now I know just to pop some insoles/volume reducers in, I’ve got a whole load more brands to choose from.

Cotswolds in Spitalfields is a bit depressing, hardly anything in there now, looks ready to close down.

redmist
    Free Member

I’ve also had good experience of service and selection at Cotswolds. Although I’m sure service varies a lot by store.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Mostly helpful, others as expected! 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My experience with these things is forget advice and just go and try as many boots as possible on. You’ll know when you find a pair that fit well. I’ve had many a ski boot ‘professional’ fitting both in the uk and on resort and every time ended up with boots I don’t get on with. Last time I just ordered about four pairs off the internet, tried them all on, luckily one pair fitted great and returned the rest. Been a happy bunny on the slopes since.

So find a store with as large as stock as possible with a variety of brands and go try on. Or just order a load off the internet and try them on at home.

Drac
    Philby

Another vote for Taunton Leisure with bricks and mortar shops in Taunton, Bristol and Exeter. They also stock Altberg.

surfer
    Free Member

Try Hoka. Been walking in a pair for a couple of years. Best boots I have had and I have had lots over the years.

funkynick

I can recommend Foothills in Sheffield… it’s not in the S or SE, but it is near a pretty decent area for walking or riding… :o)

Anyway, took my other half there to try and find her some boots… I think she tried on pretty much every pair of boot they had in her size, which was most of them! We were in there for hours but there was no push from the salesperson to choose, and they were really patient and seemed more concerned in making sure she had comfortable boots than making a sale.

I think in the end we left about 45 minutes after the store closed (after having been there about 4 hours!), and thankfully she did found some boots…

convert

You live near Winchester don’t you? I genuinely can’t think of anywhere round here that I’d want to go. I’ve wandered through the usual Snow and Rock and Cotswolds and the adivce you overhear being given by some 14 year old who looks like their total experience was a Bronze DofE was excruciating.

My wife got new boots in the Tiso in Aviemore at Easter. The guy there was outstanding. Older fella in the sort of nick anyone would be proud of in their late 50s. Ex forces, currently a member of the local mountain rescue but properly considerate. An incredible ambassador for the company.

Personally I’d ditching buy down south and wait until you are on a trip somewhere interesting and buy from a local shop with a member of staff that knows his way around hills.

ElShalimo

If you’re can get up to the Lake District for a weekend, the bloke at the Keswick Boot Company is probably the best boot fitter I’ve experienced in >25yrs of buying walking boots. He’s a really nice bloke too so you can have a laugh with him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not too far away, Convert, yes.

I know enough about for etc (done time in the ski/outdoor industry), so somewhere with decent stock/variety is what I’m after. Good staff are an obvious bonus, as they’re worth every extra penny.

I think you’re right about somewhere when off and away, though.

funkynick

Just thought… didn’t there used to be a decent shop in Petworth? It’s been years since I was there so no idea if it’s still there or not…

CheesybeanZ

George Fishers in Keswick , buy boots go for a walk .

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My mate drove from Beckenham to Richmond North Yorks and back for a fitting with Altberg.

jimw
    Free Member

Lockwood in Leamington Spa. Southish, great reputation for walking and ski boot fitting…and they’re Altberg stockists. Have bought all my ski/walking boots from there. They fit you to what you need not what you think you want.

My partner had the complete opposite experience at Lockwoods, they ‘fitted’ her with a pair of boots that were far too tight, she told them so but they insisted that they would work. We felt rushed as other customers came in. Foolishly we trusted him and took them off the premises. We both felt that the fitter was convinced he knew more than we did, was quite condescending when we returned with the boots for a full refund. This involved a second 60 mile round trip.
    We then went to Cotswold at Wychbold and had a fantastic experience, the fitter spent an hour with us, was very relaxed with no sales pressure and she has a pair of boots that fitted her straight away. We will never go back to Lockwoods

DezB
    Free Member

convert’s post worries me. Do middle-aged people who have been wearing shoes and boots their entire life, and had the same size feet for most of it, need help picking shoes that fit? (or boots!)

jimw
    Free Member

Dezb, feet change shape throughout ones life, mine ar getting wider and flatter with age. so yes, im my experience,it is well worth getting a proper fitting.

DezB
    Free Member

Even if my feet grew 6 inches, I’d know what fits and what doesn’t! 😆

BadlyWiredDog

convert’s post worries me. Do middle-aged people who have been wearing shoes and boots their entire life, and had the same size feet for most of it, need help picking shoes that fit? (or boots!)

I think it’s more that a good boot-fitter will have a grasp on how different brands’ lasts vary and what might suit someone’s foot shape along with a basic idea of what sort of boot’s likely to work for them based on their stated preferences, likely use etc.

For some people – those who know what brands fit them and already have a strong idea of what sort of boot they need – that’s not really essential, for others it’s a lot of help.

One thing to bear in mind is to shop in the afternoon if you can. Your feet tend to swell up during the day, so a boot that’s snug in the morning could end up being unpleasantly tight in the afternoon.

It also depends on how much of an outlier your foot shape is. If you’re somewhere in the middle lots of brands will fit okay, though some will work better than others. I really like Aku, Hanwag and some Zamberlan for example, but I can happily wear Scarpa, Meindl, Mammut and others. If your foot is very narrow or very wide or has an odd mix of narrow heel and broad, high volume forefoot, things get more difficult. The more brands you can try on, the better.

convert

I kind of know what you mean. but here are a few quotes (rough approximations) from the chat with the guy in Tiso to give you the idea of what I mean.

“Yes, that model might work, but it’s changed a lot from the one you had a few generations ago – they changed to the NAG last and it’s definitely narrower and to be honest I reckon you’ll find it a bit narrow now after a couple of days out”

“what crampons did you say you had? Hmmmmm, I’ve had a few friends struggle with kicking off grivel G10s with that boot. Look, it’s the shape of the heel box, they just don’t fit nicely together”

“Now I know what you are going to say about this brand and yes I had problems with the leather cracking years ago too. But honestly, they have come on along way in the last few years”

“Have you noticed the change in construction on the midsole on this one from in the past? It’s possible to resole these now whilst you couldn’t before”

“If you go for that boot, you might like to try a different lacing method with your arches. Have you seen this before…..”

“I think this brand might well be perfect for you. I know they a much cheaper than the Scarpa you were talking about and I didn’t really know much about them until recently but a load of the mountain rescue lads have switch to them in the last year. This is why……”

I know by middle age people have been around the block loads of times before. And to be honest if you are buying a pair of boots/shoes to shuffle around a nature walk and off for a nice cup of tea at the national trust cafe then crack on believing that. But it is possible to still learn a thing or two. Also nice to have a bit of confirmation you are making the right choice when possibly spending 300 notes on a some bling for your feet.

BadlyWiredDog

‘Fitting a modern mountaineering boot is like making love to a beautiful woman, let me just run my hand over your instep…’ 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Buying new walking boots’ is closed to new replies.