Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Buying new walking boots
  • maccruiskeen

it’s worth going to a place with a fitter that knows their

bunions

footflaps

I just wear trainers / approach shoes. Unless you need to fit crampons, they’re a much better choice for 99% of trails e.g you don’t see many fell runners in 950g B3 boots laced up to just below the knee 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apples and oranges there.

I don’t mind having wet feet in a fell race, as it’s generally 40 mins to a couple of hours tops.

I could be spending 10 hours in the hills, and up here we have our fair share of boggy death pits, so good waterproof boots are worth their weight.

**** marauding across trackless gaĺloway tops in trainers.

RustyNissanPrairie

I use Haix military boots for hiking.
    I had bit of a boot collection going on and had some original non Berghaus Brasher Supalites, over rated Meindl, and a pair of Altberg Defenders. Upon discovering Haix I’ve sold the Altberg and thrown the Meindl’s and retired the Brashers.

I use the Haix hi liability for general stomping (goretex half leather boot), the desert boot for summer (non goretex, suede) and the Wet/cold weather boot for winter/bog stomping (full leather, goretex, thinsulate.

Very high end well made boots, German company but made in their factory in Croatia. Very supportive and comfy with amazing sole’s that grip on anything unlike overrated lethal vibram.
    Paid no more than £45 for them from ebay – all brand new, boxed with spare laces and insoles.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Start by ordering some Salomon 4d boots and see if they feel comfy.
    Personally I wear Adidas terrex gtx mids unless it’s really wet.

slackalice
    Free Member

Another satisfied Cotswold customer here, my nearest store (Norwich) have knowledgeable and helpful staff and happy to get in the correct size / colour for me to try.

Go Outdoors, whilst more in the superstore genre, also seem to have a reasonable range and choice.

DezB
    Free Member

So, you have to get advice from the internet to find a shop to get advice from a boot expert to find boots to walk in. Lordy, can’t anyone decide anything for themselves these days? 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The OP does have some specific shoe requirements to be fair…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s a bit like music, Dez. Personal opinions and experiences can help others. Who’dathunkit, eh?

footflaps

It’s a bit like music, Dez. Personal opinions and experiences can help others.

You should have the courage of your conviction and just wear what you want to….

We won’t judge….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What do the Haix boots weigh, roughly? Tempted with a black pair – standard non-goretex but would prefer a model with zide-zip. Got big feet and would have to order from Aus so a rough weight idea would give me some idea if they could be “all day” boots or just short term wearers.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Buying new walking boots’ is closed to new replies.