Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,174 total)
  • Buying and renovating a rural property on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees
  • spekkie
    Free Member

Cheers senor j!

spekkie
    Free Member

After two long hard days of working with friends,(and with lunch supplied by Rosa, the Farmers wife!) we’d made a great start on our retaining wall and we were left with the beginnings of a good strong wall with a nice level top for us to continue building on.

Yesterday we added a bit to it on our own, following the lines that had already been started . . . and I think we’re doing ok.

spekkie
    Free Member

Today is a day off . . . . 🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

A phone was found by someone out on one of the trails used for the Zona Zero “Inframundo” race the other weekend. They handed it in to the Tourist Information Office in Ainsa and now it has been reunited with the person that lost it.

Firstly, it’s cool that it was spotted – dropped “somewhere” on the 66km long route!

Secondly, it’s cool that it was handed in.

I do love this community we live in here in Spain.

🙂

mogrim

The best albergé near Zumaia had six double rooms, 20e50 per person per night with breakfast, bike washing, washing machine, safe storage, an excellent restaurant, showers available after check out on sunday.

Is that the one on the top of the hill? With the cow shed behind? I stayed there a couple of years back, nice people and a lovely place to have a beer overlooking the coast.

Edukator
    Free Member

Agote Aundi in Askizu 50m south of the church, Mogrim.

mogrim

Agote Aundi in Askizu 50m south of the church

Not the same then, we were in Santa Klara on the hill above it.

Edukator
    Free Member

Santa Klara, that’s the one on the turning with the big tyre (approaching from the west) that’s the end/start of the coastal path loop into Zumaia. It’s only two and half hours from where we live and great for a weekend: hiking, biking, friendly accomodation that’s good value (and they’re happy to speak Spanish), good places to eat out (especially if you like seafood) – a lot to like.

Edit: having checked Google earth the big tyre wasn’t there when they filmed that road.

ctk
    Free Member

‘Ramon the friendly farmer’ Lol see a children’s book franchise!

spekkie
    Free Member

Last night we went to bed shattered!

The retaining wall is coming on nicely but it’s hard work. Buying a property on a hill means you can have great views and (eventually) beautiful terraced gardens with water features etc, but actually working on a garden that slopes this much is hard work.

Every wheelbarrow of rock or cement has to be dragged up a hill, or equally has to be rolled down a hill. A runaway wheelbarrow is no fun at all!

Happy days. It will look good when its done

spekkie
    Free Member

ctk – Member

‘Ramon the friendly farmer’ Lol see a children’s book franchise!

Another idea! 🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

Mrs Spekkie and I are both looking for jobs at the moment. . . .

It would be good to find something locally, but the two main fields of employment around here are Tourism and Agriculture – both of which are seasonal and both of which are covered either “within the family” or by employing . Of course once we’re up and running with our B&B we will fall into the tourism bracket ourselves. In the meantime we’re hoping to find something, pretty much anything really, that will help us cover our living expences.

We’re looking at On-Line work, which we could do from home, but we’re also looking for “proper jobs” further afield. We may end up renting and staying local to our work during the week and coming home to Guaso at the weekends, but we’re ok with that.

So, as well as all our building work last week, Mrs Spekkie and I had to find time to make a trip to the nearby town of Sabiñánigo so that we could visit the Department of Employment and register ourselves there.

We found the employment office easily enough, on the outskirts of town. Nice modern offices with plenty of parking. Went inside and waited for someone to become available, which took no more than two minutes. So far so good. . . .

We sat in front of a middle aged Spanish woman who, we soon realised, was clearly not happy with her lot in life!

We spoke to her in our best Spanish but apparently she struggled to understand us. Strange because let’s face it, we didn’t go into the “Employment” office to discuss the Philosophies of Medieval Kings & Queens or Particle Acceleration using the Large Hadron Collider at CERN . . .

Anyway, she turned to her colleague (a middle aged Spanish man), and told him he would have to help her because this was going to be VERY COMPLICATED. I moved over to his desk and, after 20 minutes, I was registered on their system as being available for work, he’d filled in my Personal Profile, issued me with a temporary password to access my account of their system, registered my driving license and told me encouragingly that although unemployment was a problem in Spain, maintenance engineering and knowledge of Variable Speed Drives was in demand. He also told me that his brother-in-law was from the UK and that he hoped we were happy, having moved to Spain.

During the same 20 minutes Mrs Spekkie got almost none of the above done for her. When the lady was “finished” with her she ended up coming to join me and my helpful man and he did all the bits the lady didn’t do properly.

Thankfully the office wasn’t staffed but two unhelpful people. If it had been then instead of coming away feeling quite motivated, I would have come away feeling pretty despondent – like Mrs Spekkie did.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

This is very spooky Tony. On Friday we went to Tortosa, our administrative centre, to register Trish on the Catalan tax system. This is because she has got a job teaching English to 13-18 year old schoolkids in our local town. The process involved having 2 appointments half an hour apart at offices at either end of Tortosa. The first one took 10 minutes and generated a fiscal number which we needed at the second one, then it was back in the car and over the river to the other office where the rest of the paperwork was issued, the whole process took half an hour. The major benefit, apart from the teaching income, is that we are now both eligible for free health care under the Capsalut system rather than having to pay €150 a month for private health insurance which is compulsory for foreign residents in Spain.

spekkie
    Free Member

Had a great Sunday ride which included around 1200m of climbing with a friend from the UK and his daughter. As always, the views were amazing and it was a beautiful sunny day – but not too hot.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g15051447456

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I love this thread. Nothing else to say but when I see an update I make this the first one too look at. I hope all goes well for you and Mrs Spekkie.

spekkie
    Free Member

Cheers MtM – glad you’re enjoying it!

We’re enjoying living it.

spekkie
    Free Member

This is great news for us . . . 🙂

From Zona Zero – Ainsa, Aragon, Spain.

There are only a few weeks left until the new Zona Zero initiative comes into being!

ZONA ZERO ROAD – A project dedicated to the road bicycle . . .

After many months of work and thanks to the selfless help of a few local volunteers, without whom it would have been impossible to make any progress with this project, on the weekend of November 17-19 we will welcome “Zona Zero Road” – a project that is dedicated to the road bicycle and reaffirms the position of the region of Sobrarbe as a world center for cycling tourism.

A total of 13 routes (with many variants) will allow the lovers of the “skinny wheels” to explore Sobrarbe and its surrounding areas, but this time by road.

Taking in many towns within the Sobrabe and neighbouring regions, the valleys of Añisclo & Ordesa, or those of Chistau & Pineta are just some of the routes proposed in the Pyrenean region. The route to Alquézar passes through Biello Sobrarbe and the villages and canyons of the of the Sierra de Guara.Natural Park.

There is also a Spanish/French “cross-border collaboration” with plans for routes that cross the Pyrenees to join the Aure and Louron valleys, where you will find some of the most mythical climbs of le Tour de France, including the Col de Peyresourde, Col d’Aspin, Tourmalet and Col d’Aze.

The routes will be presented on the Zona Zero website http://www.bttpirineo.com with illustrative photos, maps, profiles as well as a route summary and the average gradients of the climbs.

The Route Profiles have a design that is very similar to those used for the stages of le Tour de France and have been made, just like the maps, using the free Route Editor on the “www.cronoescalada.com” website – to whom we are especially grateful for their help!

Next year will see the installation of route signs, the publication of leaflets and brochures and an upload to the web of the exhaustive profiles of each mountain climb. . . . .

spekkie
    Free Member

We can now add “Climbing the Peña Montañesa” to the list of local activities that we can tell our visitors about!

It was a tough day to the summit and back but very well worth it.

Car park is at about 1000m (400m higher than Ainsa) and the summit is at 2295m.

matt_outandabout

*like*

How cheap are flights from Scotland to your area?

spekkie
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

*like*

How cheap are flights from Scotland to your area?

Not sure. We have friends here at the moment from Scotland but they drove here with their Camper Van.

Ryanair fly to Barcelona from Edinburgh . . . . 😉

spekkie
    Free Member

We had one of my old school friends and his wife come over from England and stay with us a few weeks ago. It was great to catch up – it’s been a long time. We were together at Witbank High School back in the day. Of course now Mrs Spekkie has a load of “info” on me that she will use when she needs to get the upper hand . . .

We picked my friends up from Zaragoza airport, which is the nearest airport to us – about a 2 hour drive. It was the first time we’d ever been there and what a pleasure. Reminded us a bit of Lanseria airport – only much smaller and quieter. Parking is reasonably priced and right outside the front doors, the cafeteria was clean and had some decent food & drink and because it’s not very busy, getting through check-in and security were a breeze. I’m really pleased because this is our “local” airport 🙂

Having someone stay with us who’s never been here before is good for us – because it reminds us of how we felt when we first found this place. There’s just no way around the fact that eventually you just get used to wherever you live and can even take it for granted. In the same way that someone living near a railway line or a freeway eventually gets used to the noise, if you live in somewhere quiet like Guaso, you get used to it.

We can see Monte Perdido, which is the third highest mountain the the Pyrenees, from our garden – but you do get used to looking at the mountains, you get used to it being so very quiet, you get used to the lack of fences and to living in a small community where, if you hear a car coming, you can usually tell who it is before it comes into view by either the engine sound or what time of the day it is!

It doesn’t hurt to have someone remind you of how lucky you are to live where you live and how very beautiful it all is.

So . . . thanks to John & Michelle for re-motivating us!

🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

Our Spanish car pulling our South African trailer 🙂

It wasn’t easy bringing the trailer over here. You have to de-register it in SA to take it out of the country which turned out to be a bit complicated, but it’s such a nice trailer and I really thought we could use it here – so we bought it over.

In Spain it has the same plate as the car towing it and there’s no additional tax to pay.

We have big plans for it . . . watch this space!

spekkie
    Free Member

The “Parque Nacional de Ordesa y Monte Perdido” is a vast National Park with World Heritage status. It is rich with wildlife, mountains, lakes & forests and is home to the third highest peak in the Pyrenees mountains – the Monte Perdido (the Lost Mountain) – which summits at 3355m.

The park is about an hours drive from our house – and we still haven’t been and had a look!

We can see the Monte Perdido from the farmhouse kitchen window though

🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

Last week we were invited to the local movie theater in Boltaña to see the premier of a movie that was made locally with financial help from several local councils and “Crowd Funding”.

The film was called “Ara Salvaje” which translates into “the wild river Ara” and it’s a story about a local man, Martin Campoy, who wanted to ride, document and promote the last remaining wild river in this area, the river Ara.

The film was in Spanish but we got the general idea of what was going on. More importantly we got to see some fantastic footage, including shots taken from a drone, of the river Ara that passes through Boltaña and Ainsa on it’s way from the top of the mountains down into the Mediano Dam.

We cross this river every time we go pretty much anywhere from our house and we swim in it in the Summer. Rivers are important here and this movie did a good job of showing that.

Watch this Promo clip that was made when the rider and his wife were originally fundraising and get a taste of where it is that we live . . . .

🙂

[video]https://youtu.be/AuVRiPQCSLw[/video]

Edukator
    Free Member

Check out where people regularly die on the tourist route up Monte Perdido before you do it. A rope for those few metres isn’t a luxury. It’s crossing a scree runnel not far from the top and if you start sliding you’re dead. We took a ridge route then on and off the glacier (if there still is one) which is proper climbing but perhaps safer.

Skiing up the Taillon is a Winter classic, or over the Breche into France.

There’s another canyon just East of the main one which is perhaps more impresive.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I hope it was good, we were nearby but couldn’t make it. Martin is taking it to our local mountaineering club so I’ll see it next week. We used some of last years tips to help with the crowd funding 🙂

It’s the last remaining undamed river in the Pyrenees. Despite the travesty that was Jànovas where people were forced out of their homes to make way for a reservoir that was never made. It’s a spooky place, well worth a visit if you’ve not made it there yet.

spekkie
    Free Member

It was very good – and nice to listen to Martins presentation.

We go to Janovas often – it’s on Route 6 Light. And being only ten mins drive away so we tend to take our friends there to see it when they visit.

Good to see it being re-built now.

spekkie
    Free Member

Some time ago Mrs Spekkie and I joined an online worldwide network of Expats called “Internations”.

Yesterday we drove through to Zaragoza to do some shopping and then in the evening we attended an Internations get-together held in an Irish Bar in the center of Zaragoza.

We spent the evening speaking lots of English and chatting to people from Spain, Portugal, Germany, the UK, the US, Russia and Equador! We had a lovely evening and made some new friends . . . and we we’re home by 3am!

mogrim

A couple of ideas/comments:

The routes will be presented on the Zona Zero website http://www.bttpirineo.com with illustrative photos, maps, profiles as well as a route summary and the average gradients of the climbs.

Change the URL. A site called BTT whatever is not about road bike routes.

And the second point: trail running is booming in Spain, you might want to look into that. The Peña Montesa might well have a “vertical kilometre” route, something you could certainly set up as a race. (You’ve got the height difference, but you’d need to check the horizontal distance). The rocks look great though, a lot like the routes round here.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Haven’t posted on the thread in a while but always reading 8)

spekkie
    Free Member

Edukator – Reformed Troll

Check out where people regularly die on the tourist route up Monte Perdido before you do it. A rope for those few metres isn’t a luxury. It’s crossing a scree runnel not far from the top and if you start sliding you’re dead. We took a ridge route then on and off the glacier (if there still is one) which is proper climbing but perhaps safer.

No plans on climbing Perdido ourselves! We’ll take a walk through the park but leave the serious climbing to other people.

spekkie
    Free Member

Not sure how they will package the “Road Routes” mogrim – but the launch is this weekend – so we’ll soon see.

spekkie
    Free Member

Last week I posted a link here to a locally made cultural movie. (a few posts above this one)

This week on Monday at our “Learn Spanish” lesson, which is held at the Adult Education Center up in Ainsa Old Town, I mentioned going to the premier of the movie to our teacher, Carmen, who – it turns out – is the Mayoress of the village of Broto, which features in the movie and who had also been invited to the premier.

We had a nice little chat, in Spanish of course, about the film, the area it was filmed in and the people who made it 🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

Tomorrow will be our final day of picking Olives!

For the last two and a half weeks we’ve been helping Ramon & Rosa pick olives for a few hours every day. They have around 50 trees, some big & some small, that needed to be done. Half are up here at the farm and the others are down on the land near the river. We’ve had beautiful weather and it’s certainly been “an experience” but by now all four of us are sick to death of it and will be glad when the last tree is finished tomorrow!

I guess we have around a thousand kilos of olives by now which will be taken to the olive processing plant down the road and pressed into oil. You only harvest olives every two years – so whatever they get from this batch has to last that long . . .

Rosa always has a smile ready . . .

Ramons pride and joy – he bought it brand new 45 years ago!

Wherever you are on the farm, the view is spectacular 🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

We woke up to a surprise heavy mist this morning. I could barely see 5m out of the windows!

By 10am the sun had burned through the mist up in Guaso though and it turned into another sunny day.

We could still see mist down in the valleys so we drove up our hill to Guaso church and took a couple of pics and a video. Snow fell on the higher mountains last night too.

[video]https://youtu.be/UybvQK7pOb0[/video]

Edukator
    Free Member

That’ll be a lot whiter by the end of next week.

spekkie
    Free Member

We had the pleasure of meeting an STW member and his family recently when they visited our area of Spain to d some climbing and some riding.

They’ve been following our story on here and on FB and recently drove down from the Isle of Skye in Scotland on a “camper-can road trip”.

Was nice to finally meet him in person, along with his partner and daughter.

While they were here we all climbed the Peña Montañesa together, which I posted about a little while ago, and we did a few rides together. They also spent a day helping us pick olives with Ramon and Rosa and a day helping me with my “Garden wall building”.

Was really nice to be able to just speak English for a while!

spekkie
    Free Member

iPad auto correct thinks it knows best . . . .

spekkie
    Free Member

I think we can safely say that Winter is here!

Beautiful clear skies and warm enough during the day when you’re in the sunshine, but cold in the shade and temps dropping to below freezing overnight.

No wind or rain so far . . . 🙂

mogrim

Beautiful clear skies and warm enough during the day when you’re in the sunshine, but cold in the shade and temps dropping to below freezing overnight.

Sounds like Madrid, then! Bloody freezing the past few days, forecast -5 minimum for the weekend…

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.