Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Buying a big new telly for gaming (PS5) and movies. Advice? Recommendations?
  • GrahamS

Lucky as I am to have landed a PS5 at Christmas, we’re currently using it on a 37″ HD telly from 2009 so not exactly doing it justice.

But it’s my birthday next week and I’ve been given spousal permission to update. 🥳

Some idle googling suggests the LG C1 is a good choice.
    I’d probably be looking at the 65″ model (fed up peering at a small screen with my old man eyes)

I’m aware that the LG C2 is coming very soon and looks nice but the LG site has the 65″ on pre-order at £2699 which is a bit of a leap for not much extra bang over the C1, which is available now at £1599!!

Also aware that Sony and Samsung have “QD-OLED” tellies coming soon, but honestly I’m not sure my eyesight is good enough to care. I already have to wear glasses to watch telly anyway.

Thoughts and opinions, or should I just push the button on a C1?

RustySpanner

We’ve recently bought a 48″ C1 and it’s bloody marvellous.

Great picture and very decent sound too.
    Pretty easy to set up as well.

We got ours for just over £800 at Richer Sounds. There are bargains out there.

ta11pau1

Sony A80j or Samsung C1. OLED all the way.

Choose between them based on preference, the C1 is better if you do a lot (over 50% of the time) of gaming. A80j has VRR now and the PS5 is getting it soon. A80j has Google TV which if you’re in the Google eco system is really good, fast, reliable. Sound is possibly slightly better on the A80j, as well as picture quality.

Either way, they’re both amazing TV’s and watching stuff in 4k HDR is just simply stunning.

I’ve had my 55″ a84j (A80j with hands free mic) for a few months and it’s bloody brilliant.

cinnamon_girl

The boy recently bought a 48″ OLED for gaming as well as mainly sport watching. Much prefers to watch, I think, HDR and can tell the difference apparently. Looked huge to me. He’s happy, that’s the main thing.

jamj1974

We have the 48” version of the C1 – and it is great with our PS4 Pro. Motion is managed more effectively than our 55” LG B6 from nearly five years ago – but I think that does a decent job anyway.

I’d recommend LG OLED in general and the C1 in particular.

soundninjauk

Recently got a Sony 50″ LED, which I am enjoying very much. An important thing to look out for I think is that it does the HDR-ness that you’re after. When I was looking the Saumsung tvs (in my price range at least) support HDR10+ but not Dolby Vision which may or may not be fine depending on what you’re feeding into it. My Xbox Series S does Dolby Vision so I went for the Sony.

uniqueusername

We have a c series lg, 55″ CX, think that was the naming scheme before c1/c2 etc. It’s great, gets used for Netflix/Amazon and ps5. Keep ours in cinema/director mode to keep all that frame/motion/colour interpolating nonsense turned off.

amatuer

For gaming, you want 120hz min refresh rate. Not all OLED / QLED are as high as this.

daviek

120hz is overrated unless your a gaming god, which im not 🙂

timmys

LG C1 is the correct choice (some would say only choice if gaming is the priority).

I have a 65″ C1 and it is bloody amazing. Before that I had the 55″ C7 (so the equivalent 2017 model) and that was a fantastic TV too (only changed as we decided we wanted a larger screen).

Moving from the 2017 to 2021 model was really only a change in features rather than any increase in perceptible picture quality, so I wouldn’t worry about waiting for the C2 based on that. When we have our kitchen re-done in the next few weeks I’ll be looking at a 55″ G1 or G2, and based on the current price you can pick up a G1 for (£1,499) versus the price for the incoming G2 (£2,399) – I think I know what I will be doing!

GrahamS

Thanks all.

I think the LG C1 ticks most of the boxes mentioned here:

– OLED 4K @120Hz
    – 4 x HDMI 2.1 ports
    – Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) – G-Sync and Free-Sync
    – High Frame Rate (HFR)
    – Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
    – HDR10 Pro (but not HDR+)
    – Dolby Vision IQ (but not the new Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail)

TheFlyingOx

Also got the 48″ C1. Best telly I’ve had by a long shot, been using it for some quality PC gaming as well as PS4.

GrahamS

you can pick up a G1 for (£1,499)

Was tempted by the G1 for the neater cable-management and wall mount, but I can live with a stand. Need somewhere to put the console etc anyway.

GrahamS

Ma-hoosive telly ordered. Got it for £1500 from Hughes with a 6% discount code. Happy with that.

Cougar

What did you get?

Drac

C1 is the gaming choice.

mrmoofo

I bought a 55 LG CX ( or whatever the more expensive version was). Great interface, nice looking set – however it could not get a stable connect to the internet – neither hard wired or wifi. Richer Sound picked it up m, and gave me another one – that was even worse. Swapped for a Sony which had no problem what so ever…

But the interface and remote on the LG were brilliant

uniqueusername

Strange, our 55cx hasn’t had any issues with the internet, it’s wired, possibly we ran it on WiFi for a short while before I sorted the able management.

timmys

Got it for £1500 from Hughes

What warranty do Hughes give? That’s the same price as at Richer Sounds (after £200 discount at checkout) and they include a 6 yr warranty. Richer Sounds also have an excellent reputation for customer service.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have my PS5 hooked up to a 65″ LG C1 – works great (although 120Hz capability is over-hyped). Make sure you read a guide on optimising it’s settings for different inputs (I’ve forgotten which one I used now though…) and for sure make sure TruMotion is disabled everywhere…

It’s sound is OK but a bit tinny so you probably want to factor in buying external speakers/soundbar for it (if you don’t have them already)

mahalo

I dont think its the C1 but i have another LG OLED iteration, 65″ webOS with an LG Meridan soundbar.

its the household TV so gaming not the priority but my PS5 is spectacular on it.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I should not have even read this thread title ( I think it’s jinxed our set), as being sofa bound following coming off my bike in the ice yesterday, our TV has now stopped working 😭

So, I think I’ll get the LG C1 55” (it’s the largest I’ll be allowed into the house).

Is LG-OLED55C14LB the correct model? – thanks.

timmys

Is LG-OLED55C14LB the correct model?

Yes the 55 bit of that is obviously size and C1 is the model. You’ll see the other bits of text after the C1 bit depending on retailer/country, but it’s all the same model.

Richer Sounds and Costco are the two retailers people seem to recommend most often. John Lewis is now a distant 3rd to those two.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks timmys, that’s what I’d thought, but was afraid of making a mistake. Much appreciated.

jamj1974

You won’t regret it – it’s a great TV.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Since GrahamS you have now decided on which Tv to get, I hope you don’t mind a couple of tangential questions ( I am now embarrassingly sitting without a Tv, and struggling to cope).

I have just purchased a 55” LG C1. This will replace a dead 2011 Samsung 40” (UE40D5520 LED 1920 x 1080). All the reviews for tvs compare the model to last year’s model…

How much difference do you think I will see? (I was still content with the old set).

What features will my set have, that I may never be aware of, without someone on here telling me? (manuals are not what they used to be).

Where should I look to find optimised settings, as I usually just stick to factory settings?

I’ll be using it for basic free view via Virgin Tv, Netflix, iPlayer and PS5.

Cheers all.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.