• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by benz.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Budget 29er Rigid Fork
  • dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m riding my 2013 Voodoo Bizango with it on lockout full time so I’m wondering if there is a budget rigid fork I could replace the Suntour Raidons with.

I’ve had a look round and found http://www.carboncycles.cc which seem reasonable but not sure if they are any good.

Of course there are various on ebay (new and second hand) so wondering if I just keep an eye out for something secondhand.

One thing is I have no sag set on the locked out forks and I like the riding position, so I’d be after something long.

As the bike is worth sod all unless I can find something on the cheap side I guess I may as well just leave it as is but it would be nice to get rid of the Suntours.

Thanks

docrobster
    Free Member

I have a carbon cycles/exotic fork on my 29ht. Seems fine. Cost about £120. It’s just a case of finding the one you need in terms of spec- axle type, length etc…
    Mine are 490 a2c

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Thanks. I think I’m right in saying the 490 are the longest they do.

I was just searching through some old threads and found mention of the Bird Blank Rigid Forks

Bird Blank Rigid Forks – 505mm A2C (1320g)

honourablegeorge

Sonder do one, 500mm

Sonder Pathfinder

davros

I’ve got a nice lightly used full carbon genesis fork for sale in the classifieds. 515mm a-c. Let me know if you’re interested.

kaiser
    Free Member

I have used a carbon cycles (exotic) rigid fork on my surly Ogre with 29plus upfront for many years both heavily laden and on rough off-road . It has been faultless and I would buy again .Moves a lot back and forth on heavy braking but I actually like the movement as it takes the worst out of the trail ..something the original steel fork certainly didn’t .

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice lightly used full carbon genesis fork for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks but it’s boost and my old wheels aren’t.

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

I have used a carbon cycles (exotic) rigid fork on my surly Ogre with 29plus upfront for many years both heavily laden and on rough off-road . It has been faultless and I would buy again .Moves a lot back and forth on heavy braking but I actually like the movement as it takes the worst out of the trail ..something the original steel fork certainly didn’t .

Thanks. They look good I’m just not sure about the a to c being enough.

montgomery
    Free Member

Thanks but it’s boost and my old wheels aren’t.

Converting a front wheel to boost seems pretty straightforward, I wouldn’t let that put me off a good deal on a set of forks (assuming it is a good deal, I haven’t looked).

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Converting a front wheel to boost seems pretty straightforward, I wouldn’t let that put me off a good deal on a set of forks (assuming it is a good deal, I haven’t looked).

Agreed but it looks like it’s tapered as well and mine is straight and although I understand you can use an external adapter, if I’m right that seems a little too messy.

Though I’m happy to be corrected!

tuboflard

If non-boost and straight steerer are the constraints, I had this on a recent build and ended up with a Surly ECR fork in 29+. Just check what a2c works for you (mine was going on a 26 frame but slack BFe so this has worked fine). Salsa Cromoto is another option I think. Edit. Also look out for a Kona P2 fork which I think would work.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

That vintage of Bizango (black with yellowish writing?) will take a tapered fork with a change of lower headset cup, it’s a good frame and I ran one for a wee while with this setup.

benz
    Free Member

If any interest, I have a rigid Singular Swift Reynolds steel 29er fork – straight steerer and QR – surplus. Newly powder coated in a nice colour too 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

@benz and if its not of interest to the OP, I have a mk1 swift which is crying out for an original fork depending on the nice colour…

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

@benz
    and if its not of interest to the OP, I have a mk1 swift which is crying out for an original fork depending on the nice colour…

Guys don’t let me get in the way if that’s a match made in heaven

benz
    Free Member

@yetidave, just dropped you a PM. They are a nice dark metallic grey..but need to dig them out of the box in the shed. Will send pics.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.