Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • bucket list bikepacking
  • yunki
    Free Member

My FIL fancies himself as a bit of a Davy Crockett.

He’s almost completely self sufficient in his little council pad with a meticulously tended wild garden and a tip top allotment. He forages for his firewood and makes the best marmalades and chutneys. Nothing is wasted and he prides himself on managing on a pittance.

A few years ago he spunked some of his carefully saved state pension on lightweight camping gear, convinced that he would venture out into the wilds to spend his free time beholding all of the majesty of our fair isle, but he’s never used it. Now with a couple of nasty mishaps in the last 18 months it’s looking increasingly unlikely that he ever will

It’s our wish that we bestow him with the confidence to go on these adventures, so we’re planning to have a family camp out this summer.

So this is a shout out for kit.

Mats, bags, tarps and tents… all that gear that you tentatively bought and used twice before upgrading and consigning the inferior stuff to the back of the shed.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t understand. I read your op as if he already has camping gear?

seosamh77
    Free Member

TheBrick
    lightweight 1 person camping gear isn’t going to suffuce for a sqwad trip. sounds like that anyhow.

Poopscoop

How many people going?

Car camping?

“Proper” wild camping or a campsite mate?

Also, where are you based?

tjagain

couple of old 2 person tents here that could be loaned to you

yunki
    Free Member

That’s the sort of idea TJ! Thanks.

There would be four of us including the old man on this first trip. He’s the only one with any gear.

We’re based in the SW UK. The plan would be to park up in a Dartmoor village somewhere then hike or ride for an hour or so before making camp.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have a little two man tent you can borrow. I am based in the Blackdowns, not too far from Honiton/Wellington.

Message me and I can arrange a drop off or pick up if you are not too far away.

I am down Dartmoor way this weekend actually in the van, Salcombe. Can drop to you if down that way?

yunki
    Free Member

Thanks mrwhyte.. That’s very kind.

We only hatched this idea last night so we’re in the very early planning stages and are yet to set a date.

We’ll be asking around friends and family too, and hopefully setting a small budget so that we could possibly also look at purchasing some second hand stuff if necessary.

If we do need to borrow anything I’d be willing to come and collect once we know when we’ll be setting off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘bucket list bikepacking’ is closed to new replies.