Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • BTR Ranger – British-made enduro hardtail awesomeness!
  • chiefgrooveguru

I don’t need one of these but first heard about their new frame a few weeks ago and it looks proper rad gnarcore!

http://www.btr-fabrications.com/index.php/products/ranger

http://dirt.mpora.com/fresh-produce-news/btr-ranger.html

tazzymtb

jeebus, looks like it’s been welded by a blind chimp!

woody2000

£675!! Sweet baby Jesus.

chiefgrooveguru

Just watched that Dirt video, the trails look strangely familiar… Wonder how much it weighs?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If they grew beards, it could sell for more.

Cheezpleez

Eeeeeeeeeeeew! Cast iron trellis? That could only look right with a clematis twining through it and evil Victorian sewage coursing through its pipes.

kayak23

64 degree head angle mind…

Paul-j

64 static mind

andeh

It’s damn ugly, I particularly dislike the gussets, yuk.

Give me a BFe….or a Shan….or an Alpine….or a Surge…..or a Troof…..or a Slackline over that, any day 😐

st

‘Snice that.

xiphon
    Free Member

Ha ha, silly price.

I guess they’re cashing in on the latest trend “Enduro” racing (although 99% of people don’t race). What was the trend last year? “All Mountain” wasn’t it?

I’m sure some mug will buy it (to match their £60 Mojo mud guard)….

messiah
    Free Member

Love it. Bit different and made here by folk who are making what they want to ride and having fun doing it… max awesomz!

Northwind

They practice what they preach- saw one up at the Dudes enduro. I was unhappy about having to use an unfamiliar tyre that I’d never ridden on before, he’d just finished welding his frame together. Fab. And being ridden fast on trails that were making some folks on big full sussers very unhappy!

singlespeedstu

Love the way adding the word Enduro adds so much to the price.

It’s not an Enduro bike. It hasn’t got an engine. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Everyone talking about the price seems to have missed two key words: It’s made here, in the UK. How much does a Curtis or Enigma cost?

tazzymtb

It’s made here, in the UK. How much does a Curtis or Enigma cost?

curtis have been as cheap as chips at chain reaction, what’s your point caller?

Northwind

What would it cost if it said Orange on the side (but wasn’t made in the UK?)

matther01
    Free Member

A red one would look lovely…if you like your bikes to look like the Forth Rail Bridge.

tazzymtb

small uk bike firm -brilliant

but the designer needs to sack his guide dog and the welder might try something a little more advanced than MMA welding.

strong frames and gussets don’t need to be fugly.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Those gussets don’t look as if they’re doing an awful lot of work, other than adding cost and somewhere to trap mud. Don’t get me wrong, they probably do increase the structural integerity of the frame. But not much.

The ‘X’ head and chainstay gussets maximise strength and stiffness whilst adding minimal weight

Rubbish. They’d be better as a large plate, with a hole cutout, so there’s a decent length of weld along the tubes. If they can’t get that right, what else is wrong?

walleater

I quite like it, but I like stuff that looks like it was designed and built in a shed, over something designed on a computer and built in a Chinese jelly mold….

Northwind

Ah, I think everyone knows the Xs are mostly to give it a distinctive look.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The downhill one looks like it would be good as a downhill hardtail, I like the rad looking gussets everywhere. It reminds me of some badly constructed frames from years ago.

That enduro one looks a bit pointless. To start with, the seat tube isnt long enough on the large frame.

And you’d be better off on a 100mm travel bike for the riding in that video.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Can’t see those gussets doing much, they look way too weedy to me – and trap mud too. Also gravity enduro? With a 120mm fork?..?

Northwind

Yeah, it’s a nice vid but doesn’t really show it off doing what it’s supposed to be for, does it. Limited locations to shoot, I guess? They’re from somewhere down south

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

curtis have been as cheap as chips at chain reaction, what’s your point caller?

Not all Curtis’ (Curti?) are created equal, the UK made ones are reassuringly expensive.

Besides, the Curtis DH was £700, so same ballpark. No stupid plates on that though.

nickc

Good luck to them, distinctive product, small UK firm making bikes. Hooray for our side. 😀

Winter/sloppy days DH bike. Nice, at least it’s not got penny farthing wheels, or fat tyres….

wwaswas

Curtis at CRC were a batch they made in the uk that were sold at full price and them knocked out for nowt to clear them – they weren’t £200 frames to start with.

Having bought one I’d say that the quality of build and ride exceed any other steel hard tail I’ve owned (and I’ve had a fair few).

If these guys can build something in the uk that people will buy and enjoy riding then more power to their elbows

scottfitz
    Free Member

I like it and the company but at twice the price of the Bfe and the Alpine i won’t be getting one. On the other hand The DH one (Belter) is on my list.

Have you guys seen this BTR?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9121848/

sam42
    Free Member

They do look quite nice, geometry wise. Shame the execution is a little agricultural, hate the gussets, they have more than a hint of 90’s planet x about them, now if it was fillet brazed in 853 with prettier or even no gussets, then I’d be creaming my knickers…
    Oh and it is made in a shed.

binners

Hmmmmmmmmmm…..

thepodge
    Free Member

Take a closer look at the full suspension on their website, there are a few screw heads that have flats cut out of them, this gives me two thoughts, 1, they are using second hand screws on a custom £2000 frame, 2, something somewhere didn’t fit so they had to mod it very crudely

Oh and the full suspension is the customer’s design, not theirs. They only built it

I want to like the company but can’t

trail_rat
    Free Member

wonder if there are any design calcs / CEN testing

I can see major stress risers in that design without looking at it for more than 30 seconds.

thepodge
    Free Member

Don’t need CEN for custom or race bikes

trail_rat
    Free Member

didnt say you did but would be interesting to see the results of cen testing on it …..

scottfitz
    Free Member

Oh and the full suspension is the customer’s design, not theirs. They only built it

Yep, I will have a trip across to the bull track this summer and see it in action.

chiefgrooveguru

2.8kg for the large frame (inc maxle, mech hanger, integrated seat clamp, etc), so that’s 6.2lbs in old money.

Solo
    Free Member

looks like it’s been welded by a blind chimp

Chimpist !. How would you feel if you were a visually impaired primate, trying to earn a living with an oxy acetylene torch !.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the Belter (their first frame) and though ugly the ride was a joy. A true downhill hardtail. It was heavy but bloody good fun.

Not sure about this enduro thing though.

IHN

Are you looking for the ultimate Gravity Enduro hardtail frame, or an all-day shredding machine?

I’ve absolutely no idea what this means so, as Duncan Bannatyne says, aaahm ooot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘BTR Ranger – British-made enduro hardtail awesomeness!’ is closed to new replies.