Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • BT ultra fast broadband infinity thing
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I said I was never going back to BT but then they bought the rights to Motogp and I’ve got to pucker up.

I’d prefer unlimited broadband as I’ve been screwwd by BT with a capped service before. I am pondering regular vs infinity. I’m quite happy with the current speed but wondered how much better Infinity fibre optic.

Any one used BT?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve been using BT for years without a problem. Currently have the uncapped infinity package and it’s fine, one of those things that gets overlooked because it’s been hassle free.

The only negative is that the speed is nowhere near what they reckon I would be able to get. Their estimate was 75 Mbits whereas I typically get around 30 Mbits/sec download and 15 Mbits/sec upload which is fast enough for everything I need so I’m not too worried.

aazlad
    Free Member

Ours kept dropping out a couple of times every hour which was very annoying when streaming TV. BT denied there was an issue so we’re back on copper. Don’t really notice a difference in the speed during day to day use but it doesn’t drop out.

Drac

BT ADSL2+ here as my street hasn’t gone live with Infinity yet. It’s been by far the best ISP I’ve used very stable and faster speeds I get 14mb now before that I got a max of 9 but usually around 6-7mb.

My Dad has just got Infinity in a very rural village he now gets 80Mb they offered him to trial the 100Mb speed but it was too expensive. Her previously got less than 1mb.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Your max speed will depend on how far from the cabinet you are. We’re 1.2km from ours and our max speed will be about 17mbps when its installed later this year, but we have another house that’s 300m from the cabinet and we get the max 39mbps (cheap monthly rate so no 80mb) on the infinity installation there.
    Only been with BT since nov so can’t comment on the service but the speed is great.

djflexure

Our wireless is pretty crap on infinity, but the wired computer is fast and broadband etc is usually fine

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going with them but I can’t get my head around a huge phone line rental bill included which I don’t need for fibre. I know they are not the only ones but it is too much to pay almost £200 for something I don’t need and will never use.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Was the first one to get BT infinity in my area according to the guy who installed it. That was almost 2 years ago now and happy to say its the most stable internet I’ve ever used.

Just tested as it does vary slightly but I cant complain at this:

Huge line rental can be problem or you can pay for 12 months up front for a slight reduction.

Speshpaul

“Any one used BT?” Why are they new?

“Our wireless is pretty crap on infinity, but the wired computer is fast”
    Any ideas on what might be the problem?

“I’m thinking of going with them but I can’t get my head around a huge phone line rental bill included which I don’t need for fibre. I know they are not the only ones but it is too much to pay almost £200 for something I don’t need and will never use”
    you must be on one of those new wireless exchanges then.

BoardinBob

BT Infinity for the last year. Zero complaints about the service. Speed wise the max I get is 30meg, dropping to about 17meg at peak times, but that’s still way faster than anything I had before.

Flaperon

Sky Fibre here – 69 down, 20 up. Solid as a rock generally, but if you or your neighbours use Powerline networking adapters you’ll encounter problems.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member

Sky Fibre here – 69 down, 20 up. Solid as a rock generally, but if you or your neighbours use Powerline networking adapters you’ll encounter problems.
    Why?
    They should only affect your internal network, not the speed of the connection. The connection is largely irrelevant in this instance.

rewski
    Free Member

but if you or your neighbours use Powerline networking adapters you’ll encounter problems.

Really… what problems? BT Infinity here too with Powerline, no issues streaming HD channels over multicast, not to mention three wireless devices at any one time, hoping to get the new BT hub soon, even better wireless and no need for the additional router. Speed wise last time I checked was 70 over ethernet, 40 wireless and about 18 up.

AlexSimon

I use it for working from home. 2 years no problem.
    The upload speed in particular has been a revelation for me when I’m sending large print files around the world.

I’m on the unlimited and the exchange is yet to be upgraded to the faster speeds:

Flaperon

Powerline adapters broadcast on the same frequencies that vDSL uses. Your router (correctly) interprets this as noise on the line and your connection speed suffers. The amount of interference they produce is remarkable.

Looking at the SNR margin graph using RouterStats, I can see the margin halve if I switch on the adapters and use them to copy a large file across the network.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im struggling to understand why something that only broadcasts on a ring main will have any effect on the phone line coming into a building.
    Powerline adaptors are merely a way of using your ring main to extend the LAN.
    The vDSL modem has no direct connection with the LAN. So if im understanding things correctly this problem would affect ANY DSL connection ADSL or FTTC.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My distance from the exchange meant I could only get 2.5Mb down the wire.

Infinity is 10x that and reliable. I got it as soon as it became available and have never regretted for a second.

kimbers

had it over a year here and very happy
    very consistent and easily supports 2 or 3 devices over wifi at once including streaming iplayer etc

however getting it installed was a PITA and required many a call centre rant! but once they eventually set it up its been ace

IA

Infinity here and I get advertised speeds, all my wiring from me to the cabinet is under 15yrs old though. I’m coming from maxed out ADSL2 where I was getting about 13-14Mbs.

For me, the upstream on infinity is great, made online backup services a go-er.

Another big win on infinity, depending on your devices, is the homehub 4 and 5 both do 5Ghz wifi, which for me in an area with congested spectrum (flats) is as big a win as the extra speed on the line.

Cougar

Im struggling to understand why something that only broadcasts on a ring main will have any effect on the phone line coming into a building.

The only thing I can think is it’s some sort of EM interference issue, noise from unshielded cabling (I’ve half a memory that this is called “coupling”). Keeping the DSL cable away from PLC-injected mains cabling should minimise it, if so. I think.

Flaperon

Powerline adapters broadcast across your ring main. This acts as an aerial which can bridge the gap between the mains and the other copper wires coming in from BT, which coincidentally use about the same frequency spectrum.

Although twisted pair they’re not immune from interference, which could be picked up at the modem itself; through the power cable into the modem; or down the short cable connecting the modem to the phone socket.

If you imagine your vDSL modem as a radio receiver, you might picture the problem more clearly.

There are some amateur radio geeks who get a bit wound up by the whole thing but they have more info here: http://ban-plt.co.uk/

Cougar

There are some amateur radio geeks who get a bit wound up by the whole thing but they have more info here:

Whilst they may have a point, it’s been a while since I’ve seen a more sensationalist website. From their front page,

The aim of this website is to help you understand the deliberate and illegal interference caused by Power Line Technology and what you can do about it!

Unbiased reporting, then. The first page I clicked through to was talking about sunspots and using an image of the 9/11 disaster to prove their point, then went on to claim that their human rights are being infringed, at which point I’d read enough about the threat to swiveleyesation and closed the site.

Cougar

Found this technical analysis of the issue. It’s beyond me technically, but looks to be based slightly more in science, facts and research rather than Rubber Duck and his mates predicting the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_tr/102900_102999/102930/01.01.01_60/tr_102930v010101p.pdf

bigyinn
    Free Member

That is a rather “special” website the ban-plt thing. Took me back to the late 90’s with that style.

Cougar

SatCure’s blog has a few anecdotes too.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/reviews/satcure_blog_170.htm#02

molgrips
    Free Member

swiveleyesation

😆

xiphon
    Free Member

Virgin Cable over here….

94.78 Mb/s

sm
    Free Member

I’ve had Infinity2 for a while now and its been great once I got rid of the Home Hub they supplied.

I recently ordered the TV package to follow Moto GP, but I cant get a decent signal on the Freeview (although direct signal to the tv from the aerial is fine) and no signal at all on the subscribed channels over Ethernet.

Cancelling today.

jon1973
    Free Member

“Speshpaul – Member

Any one used BT?” Why are they new?

“Our wireless is pretty crap on infinity, but the wired computer is fast”
    Any ideas on what might be the problem?

“I’m thinking of going with them but I can’t get my head around a huge phone line rental bill included which I don’t need for fibre. I know they are not the only ones but it is too much to pay almost £200 for something I don’t need and will never use”
    you must be on one of those new wireless exchanges then.

Are you able to answer a question without being sarcastic?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just seen the fibre cabinet going in next to ‘my’ phone cabinet 😀

Still not going to be fast enough though 🙁

Speshpaul

“Are you able to answer a question without being sarcastic? “

Yes thanks.

But by the way it was only one question and two statements. That being a pedant i know – but its written in a really sarcastic tone. 😀

But come on crap broadband on wireless but good on wire……… somebody had to.

Cougar

My car’s really slow, unless I’m on a motorway. My car must be shit.

No, you’re right, I can’t do it either.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I don’t need a wireless exchange as its fibre from there to my house . so no copper is needed in the equation as far as I’m aware. Fibre optic doesn’t travel down copper does it ?

Speshpaul

Fibre cable- its still a line to your house, on which you chosen not to make free calls.

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes thanks.

Are you being sarcastic? 😉

OK, I can’t really argue with that.

molgrips
    Free Member

fd3chris I think you are confused.

Fibre optics are a way of transmitting signals with light, instead of with electricity in the case of copper wires.

Is there any such thing as a wireless exchange?

derekfish
    Free Member

I am about to put curse on BT and every call centre I’ve wasted hours on this past two weeks I’ve been out of action, if it comes to pass, there will be no BT it will vanish in a puff of the amyl nitrite I’ve been having to sniff whilst they shaft me.

When it was up it was ok, but not worth the extra line rental for infinity fibre, it started off fair enough but eventually slowed at all the usual times (4pm when the kids get off), so today I’m just about back online with all manner of routing issues thanks to having to have another new router and IP address.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

FTTC, fibre to the cab and copper/alu to the premises

FTTP, fibre to the premises

Infinity has limit of approx 1.4km from cabinet, will still work at greater length, but with reduced speed. Line checker however may not let you order it if line length exceeds that stated above.

If fed direct from exch (no cabinet)Infinity is not curently available

Broadband also won’t work if fed by cable with loading coil or DACS present and no obligation to remove them au gratis. The latter does have an exemption figure of I believe about 8 grand, but if anything over that due to line rearrangement its either cough up the surplus or don’t have it

Interference or REIN has a myriad of causes, electric fences, strip lights, lifts, alarms etc etc. Check for yourself by tuning in a radio to 612khz AM/MW and you should hear noise if REIN is present.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I changed to BT Infinity a couple of weeks ago and at the moment I’m having reliability problems (maybe my old XP PC though).
    Speeds good whenit’s working though.

zippykona

Its good but its not….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘BT ultra fast broadband infinity thing’ is closed to new replies.