Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brooks Cambrium: Can I ….
  • mrmoofo

When CRC were flogging the Cambrium C17 carved I bought one. And it is the most comfortable saddle I have ever had …
    One slight niggle is it might be a little wide , so for the HT I bought a C15 off ebay. It isn’t carved – and it is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on.
    I was stunned at how different the two were !

I have two choices:
    1) Stick it back on ebay – but Ebay will take me about 90% in fees 🙂
    2) Go steampunk and carve it myself with a Dremel. Has anyone ever considered this – and what could go wrong?

monkeyboyjc

Stick it on eBay – fees aren’t that bad….

PJay
    Free Member

You could try the classifieds here (although I’ve a carved C15 up that hasn’t gone).

Are you sure that it’s the cut out that’s making the difference? If you hack it about and it turns out that it’s not, you’ve rather affected its resale value.

I can’t help thinking that it’s quite a drop from the C17 to the C15 in terms of width (164mm to 140mm) and wonder if it’s that.

zerocool

Just wait for eBay to let you list something without fees or for 1p. They do it from time to time.

Also it depends how good you are with a dremmel

luket

Are you sure that it’s the cut out that’s making the difference?

I’ve had both C17 and C15. Both were without cutout. My C17s are the most comfortable saddles I’ve ever had. My C15 was, for me, hideous.

karnali
    Free Member

I tried a non cut out c15 was great always fancied trying the one with s cutout too see what that’s like

mrmoofo

I’ve had both C17 and C15. Both were without cutout. My C17s are the most comfortable saddles I’ve ever had. My C15 was, for me, hideous.

so it not just my arse, then !
    It is harder than the hardest thing in the universe …

monkeyboyjc

I went from a 143mm c13 to the wider 153mm and it made a big difference…… Wider saddles, for me anyway, are more comfortable in an upright possition.

escrs
    Free Member

I bought a C15 off ebay. It isn’t carved – and it is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on.

My C15 is the most comfortable saddle ive ever owned!

If you are finding the C15 uncomfortable and the C17 comfy then it suggests your sit bones are a bit wider than the average person

The C15 is 140mm wide and the average man’s sit bones can vary between 100mm-140mm

The C17 is 164mm wide

The C15 is quite a bit more curved than the C17 so people with wider sit bones will find the C15 very uncomfortable

cogglepin

Sorry for the hijack but are you using your Brooks saddles on your Gravel/ Touring bikes? Just asking as I’ve not seen one on an mtb.
    Thinking of one for the gravel bike. Pops over to look at PJays.

kuman
    Free Member

I have been using cambium c17 on mtb for years. Most comfortable saddle I have ever tried.

longdog
    Free Member

I carved my original c17 myself and it’s worked out fine. I also bought a carved c17. They’re ace for me, but I’d don’t have an aggressive, seat about bar level.

Not tried a c15, but the saddles are pretty tough to cut and smooth. I smeared some sugru around the cut edges on mine

longdog
    Free Member

@cogglepin mine are on my gravel bike (Topstone) and road bike (genesis equilibrium), but have used one on my hard tail. Meant to buy another when that sale was on 🙄

cogglepin

How do they clean up as they look quite textured whereas my Charge Spoon is very smooth.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brooks Cambrium: Can I ….’ is closed to new replies.