• This topic has 28 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Brompton questions
  • flange
    Free Member

I know I know, there’s loads of threads on these already – but none answering the questions I have

Sooo, for those that could lend me an ear…

Background – I travel into London daily, its a 5 minute walk to the station, then about 25 minutes at the brisk walk once in Town. I do commute the full distance a couple of times a week now (less than I used to as it was killing me) but for that I’ll use the proper bike. So for maybe 3 days a week I’ll be travelling from Cannon St to Shoreditch and back again. The walk is pretty knackering after a week of it and additionally its an hour extra on my commute. Therefore I’m wondering if a brompton would help?

I’m looking at a S1E, only because I have to get the bike from Evans (B2W) and that’s the only single-speed they have in stock. Can you fit mudguards to a brompton that doesn’t come with mudguards? Is it a faff?

I’m also going S1E because I like the idea of a flat bar. I’m around 6ft2 but have a pretty long 830mm saddle height – will a Brompton cover this?

Also – anyone bought one from Evans? They don’t seem to have anywhere where I can specify upgrades on the website?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Brilliant bikes have all the spares:

https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/35-brompton-spare-parts-and-accessories

Yes, you can add mudguards later.

They do an “extended” and telescopic seatpost for taller riders. You may need the telescopic one as it’s longer.

I think some gears are useful because folding bikes don’t respond well to out of the saddle honking on the bars, but it’s quite an easy upgrade to 2 speed I think.

flange
    Free Member

Thanks, appreciated.

Maybe the two speed might be a winner then, but of course Evans doesn’t stock the S2l anymore so it’d have to be an M2l instead. Are the bars the same clamp as a normal MTB bar? I have a spare pair of thompsons that I could fit…

Bez

The bar clamp is 25.4 so it’s a standard old-school flat bar. But bear in mind that you may affect the fold if you change the bar, eg by causing the brake levers to hit the frame. FWIW: https://mashing53.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/folding-for-freaks/

I wouldn’t overestimate the time you’ll save. By the time you’ve factored in traffic lights, filtering through rush hour London traffic, and folding/unfolding the bike at either end, you’ll save less than you think. Probably about half of your 25 minutes. The London bit of my commute is just under a mile and I reckon on at least 10 minutes between getting off the train and being in the building. I have to say that if the other end of my commute was only a five minute walk, I wouldn’t bother taking a bike.

You might be ok with the standard seatpost, it’s worth checking.

Evans sometimes have a decent pile of ex-display/demo Brompton parts, you might be able to pick up cheap mudguards from there. And yes, they’re easy enough to fit (just like normal guards but with no need to cut and attach the stays).

bencooper
    Free Member

Adding mudguards isn’t hard – and upgrading to 2-speed is also not a big deal.

flange
    Free Member

Thanks Bez – and on the time saving I did wonder. At the moment I cut down between a few streets near Bank that I wouldn’t feel comfortable riding down at 8am because of the amount of people walking (some do and they get shouted at). After that its ‘just’ a spin up Moorgate which is potentially where the time could be saved. I do wonder if its more of a faff though, my train is packed in a morning and having to heave a folder on there then keep an eye on it whilst fighting for a seat might be more trouble that it’s worth. I think you can hire one for a day so that might be worth a try.

Noted on the bars – will maybe stick with what it comes with if I buy one

Bez

Definitely worth hiring one for a few days before spunking the cash. Like I say, with your commute I wouldn’t have one personally, but there’s only one way to find out. And yes, if your train is packed they can be quite a millstone one way or another.

flange
    Free Member

That’s the main question to be honest. Is it worth the extra faff for maybe saving 10-15 minutes. Like you say, with only a 5 minute walk at the other end it probably isn’t worth it.

I’ll hire one and see how I get on

chiefgrooveguru

At your height I’d go with the M bar anyway!

My old commute to London would have been a 19 minute walk at one end and 35 minutes at the other. With my Brompton I used to leave home at 0705 and catch the 0717 and leave work at 1730 and catch the 1747. Huge time saver when you add it up over a year!

chiefgrooveguru

The fold takes 10-15s when you do it every day.

Bez

The fold takes 10-15s when you do it every day.

It does, but you still have to get off the train and move aside from the flow of people in order to do it; you can only go through a few gates at the platform; it’s more faff threading yourself through a busy terminus; you’re a little less flexible with where you get on a busy train; you have to switch lights on… all really, really minor things but they add up not only in time but faff.

I mean, it’s fine, but it’s a tangible price you pay for speeding up the bit between the station and the office.

You do of course get the benefit of being able to quickly nip across town at lunchtime if need be.

chiefgrooveguru

You do of course get the benefit of being able to quickly nip across town at lunchtime if need be.

And the feeling of not being trapped with all the masses of pedestrians!

tthew

Is there a decent bike storage stand at the London end of the journey? Other option is to get a beater commuter, a decent lock, (or two) and leave it at the station.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Huge time saver when you add it up over a year!

This.

Plus the ability to nip out and about at lunchtime, etc.

M3L owner here.

flange
    Free Member

Is there a decent bike storage stand at the London end of the journey? Other option is to get a beater commuter, a decent lock, (or two) and leave it at the station

Unfortunately not at Cannon st. I suppose a Boris bike is another option, but then I’d be riding a Boris bike….

Bez- do you lock your Brompton once on the train? I’m thinking a cheap lock might be just the ticket, but I always feel a bit conscious tripping people up as they get on the train leaving it near the doors. Especially when the poor sods who get on at stations nearer to London usually end up standing…

TiRed

Get the S2 instead. The extra gear wil make starting off and cruising a better experience. The weight gain is minimal compared the with the three-speed lump of a hub.

You’ll love it. The vat majority of Brompton riders do.

chiefgrooveguru

The single speed already has the derailleur cage to take up the slack when folding, so the only extra weight on the two speed is the second sprocket, shifter, cable and guide that moves the upper jockey wheel.

Mine is a six speed but Brighton is a lot more hilly than London!

joemmo
    Free Member

like other posters I’d say try and hire one and see if it does what you want. I got one on c2w scheme and tried to love it but, unlike many people I just couldn’t. My route was similar distances either end of a train to you, in the end I sold it and either rode the whole way or just took a bit longer to walk.

On the plus side, resale value is pretty good.

simon_g

S2L is great, barely any extra weight and a useful low gear. Evans can custom-order, the website shows common configurations that they tend to keep in stock.

Personally though, I prefer the cycle hire bikes. There’s enough docking stations tucked away that even if the ones nearest your station are stripped by commuters, you just walk a little way and can usually get one easily – you learn which are the less popular ones that always have them. Apps show you how many bikes and spaces are left. Get a key and it saves all the faff – just walk up to a bike, key in, pull bike out – no codes or swiping cards. £90 for the year.

I used my Brompton when I had a cross-London commute (with a really long walk at the far end) and I was getting a quiet train out in the mornings. It takes a special kind of entitled arsehole to bring one on a completely packed commuter service.

akira

Lock it up? Put it under your desk. You can get custom options but you’ll need to go into store or phone up. Build time for custom builds can be up to two months. Usually the standard specs cover most options. If you’re tall then extended or telescopic post will do and don’t get the s bar as its low down and will out you in awkward position. Go and try a few to get a better idea of fit and gearing.

benp1

I’m 6’3, I needed an M, not an S, and I have an extended seat post

Seems a bit bonkers to buy a brand new bike and then add the bits you need on afterwards, where there’s one available from standard like that. Can’t they order it in for you?

The morning bit will be fine, a busy station with lots of people on the way home might not be. I don’t know how busy your train is.

Once you have a brompton, you find all sorts of random reasons to ride it!

akira

Make sure you get puncture resistant tyres, punctures are mild pain depending on model. Then get on bromptification and bling it up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Once you have a brompton, you find all sorts of random reasons to ride it!

Yep.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m probably breaking rules here but… My Brompton is my favourite bike

Rachel

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The main problem is the air quality in London is really poor these days – but otherwise even the short sections of cycling do a lot to reduce the chore of commuting – even if you don’t save much time.

I am very tempted to get a brompton and put one of the sparticle electric kits on it – it’s not pedelec (but doesn’t need to be as it is a conversion) and the assistence overcomes the fact that the brompton is a bit of a clowns bikes to ride. if your commute is short you don’t even need to pedal 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

For what you’re talking about I wouldn’t bother. Time saved will be minimal, you’ll get wetter when its raining and you have the faff of the bike on busy commuter trains. That said Bromptons are great, wish I hadn’t sold mine to Bez!

With regards to testing one, just sign up to Brompton dock, collect from the nearest dock to you, use the bike for a week or so, decide if you like it and then return it.

https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/

Bez

😀

Bez- do you lock your Brompton once on the train?

Almost (or maybe actually) never.

flange
    Free Member

Sooo, in an about turn (and following recommendations on here) I used a Boris bike last night and this morning. 15 minutes off the commute – Win! However considering I’ve been riding in Londres for the past two years and never come off, I was riding this morning like a total dickhead – so I need to wind that in or it’ll end badly.

Think the Boris bike might be the way to go – I’m not committed to riding if its nasty and I don’t have to faff around carrying it on and off the train.

Bez

Yup, sounds ideal.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Brompton questions’ is closed to new replies.