Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Broken Collar Bone Question
  • mudfish

I feel for you.
    6-7 weeks,
    I was offered a pinned plate by a surgeon who worked with jockeys and had them back on the horse in a week. and I would take that if it happened again. I had work healthcare at that time.
    6 weeks of pain was too much for me.
    I broke it in ’87 when the wheel turned on a rock and the bars stayed straight, thanks bike UK.
    I was still riding too far back on the bike timidly until maybe 6 years ago. Training with Chris Ball helped that, plus a shift 5 years back to a proper long XL Geoemtron G1.

Good luck, the time will drag but looking back on it, it’ll soon be over.

Just MAKE SURE your sling isn’t too tight, get a second opinion
    – mine was too tight – the hospital one got dirty and frayed and a pal gave me neat one with an adjustable strap he’d bough in the US. I should have gone back to the doc.
    I found out my shoulder was stitting too high from an orthopaedic surgeon I ran into whilst still wearing it at 5 weeks in (too late) and over 30 years later my right shoulder sits high as the bone healed that way.

neilB

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s customary to post up your x-rays so us armchair physicians can offer our expert prognosis (they should let you take photos with your phone).

Mine was a clean break, straight into surgery with no deliberation, 48 hrs to get over the surgery and that was it really, I was on a plane to Spain a few days later. i stayed off the bike for six weeks or more to be sensible and then a couple more months where MTB I was more passenger than pilot as hoofing the bars was painful thru the shoulder.

steveh

I broke mine a week ago, my fourth time in total. Went to see these guys yesterday – physioclinic.net for the third time. It’s miles from me as I’m Sheffield and they are Ipswich but no one else does the stuff they do. It sounds a little witchcraft but I’ve no doubt it works and know many others who’ve been there and say the same. 24 hours after treatment no support needed, no pain and more movement.
    Last time I went the consultant commented at how far progressed recovery was when I went back for the 6 week check, much more than they expected. Used by pro moto gp, motocross, moountain bikers etc.
    Drop me a pm if you’ve any questions but I’ve no doubt it helps and is worth the money and hassle to get there.

singlespeedstu

steveh.
    Just spoken to an ex pro roady I know who was also telling me about someone in Ipswich he went to see.
    Sounds promising, I’ve just emailed them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Healing vibes OP.

humourless types

This is about a broken collarbone, not humerus.

steveh

Give them a call and get down there ASAP!

ginkster

Ouch. Hope it heals well. Broke mine last summer in the Alps. Had it plated and screwed within 20 hours. I was back on the bike in 20 days but taking it easy obviously as I did not want to jar it and also my ribs hurt like hell. Luckily my shoulder fixed very quickly so I could go on a pre-planned ride across Iceland only 5 weeks after the accident. In hindsight having it plated worked wonders and I am glad it happen in France and not the UK as they would have just left it to heal here. The ribs however were a different matter, they took about 3 months to stop hurting!!

ogri
    Free Member

If your taking strong painkillers then don’t forget the all-bran in the morning, otherwise you will have a sore arse to match the shoulder.
    *concrete shit.

argee

When i broke mine and dislocated my shoulder they were barely wanting to issue me more than paracetamol for painkillers, i keep reading about folk getting the good stuff as well, i could have done with it as i had a hyperactive 3 year old at the time who loved jumping on me!

singlespeedstu

I wasn’t give any painkillers either.
    Just been taking ibuprofen.
    Not even eating concrete could stop me shitting in a morning.😵

MadBillMcMad

If you do just one thing make it going to a good sports physio now.

You may get an NHS physio appointment but that will be for N weeks time.

The private physio will give you micro exercises to do now and they are vital.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Did mine a few years ago & managed to ride home – Adrenalin I assume. Got it x-rayed & yes broken. I used it as an excuse to get a turbo & was on Zwift in 2 weeks wearing my sling & turning my legs over to keep my fitness. I was back on the road bike 10 weeks later – being careful – but it still aches a bit 4 years later. Good luck with yours!

mickolas
    Free Member

I had mine plated because I was concerned about losing strength or possibly causing back problems later in life through asymmetry. I had to be very insistent with the doctor – he was completely open about feeling that it was fine for me to lose strength in my shoulder because ‘you’re not an athlete’. Surgery was three weeks after accident (or possibly closer to 4… can’t remember). I was road riding 12 weeks after crash (daily commute 15 miles each way). Possibly could have ridden sooner but didn’t want to risk it or prolong the period before I could be back at ‘commuter power’.

I’ve heard stories from a few people where the displacement caused the bone to take ages to fuse properly, in some cases leading to repeat breaks long after they thought the bone should have knitted.

I possibly would have been fine leaving it – it was a fairly clean break about 1″ displaced. The surgery left a small area of my chest numb which felt weird at first but has not been debilitating in any way. My arm goes ‘dead’ more quickly now if I am not moving it (eg when driving/cycling/motorcycling) and I have to wiggle it about to restore circulation. For a couple of years it used to swell a little if I wore a rucksack with the strap right over the metal plate; that seems to not happen any more though.

Pros and cons. On balance I am glad I had it done, but there are definitely risks either way.

tjagain

Not even eating concrete could stop me shitting in a morning.

Take 120mg of dihydrocodine for a week then report back. turns your shite to reinforced concrete with the rebar accossways

Woody
    Free Member

I’m certain I wasn’t treated properly when I did mine about 22 years ago, so at least you’ll get yours sorted, hopefully. Riding home from a mates house in the early hours and clipped some railings which jumped out at me somewhere in Dulwich. Feeling no pain whatsoever……. I walked the remaining couple of miles home and went to bed. Only realised when I looked the mirror next morning.

Got bus to hospital and was sent home in a sling with some codeine and that was it. Now left with a shoulder 1″ shorter and a bloody great lump where the clavicle has fused like a step. Took 6 weeks IIRC to get back off road.

Ps. Dont make the mistake I did and drive a few days afterwards. The pain when the bones separate during a sudden swerve is still fresh in my memory.

Ps. Take note of tj – I would have said the same but 2 weeks ago, after 3 days on a co-codamol, tramadol, naproxen, nortriptylne and morphine cocktail (borked knee) was almost as grateful for the laxative as the painkillers!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wasn’t give any painkillers either.
    Just been taking ibuprofen.

I was given co-codamol in A&E, which I didn’t need and still have stored for a special occasion. not sure what they gave me post surgery but for 48 hours I was a clock watching druggie.

asbrooks

It was a lovely summers evening when I did mine. I was given a morphine shot and a couple of vials to take home with me. I have to to say I had a lovely evening after I was released and wheeled out into the car park while waiting for the taxi to take me home.

Strawberry Fields spring to mind..

loughor
    Free Member

January 2019 for me. Six months off work due to the installed scaffolding . It gets better, slowly. Good luck

alric
    Free Member

are the NHS doing surgery on collarbones at the moment?
    I have a pre-surgery appointment in a fortnight, but I’m wondering whether they will actually get on with it, and if so will there be along waiting list?

singlespeedstu

Just an update on this.
    Back to hospital last week and it’s no where near healing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jvfkcL]Six weeks on and still not fixed[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr
    I had been told at a previous appointment that if it wasn’t starting to heal by now they would operate.
    Asked if they could operate on it and was told I need a scan first then it might be an option.
    Had the date come through for the scan on the 27th then another appointent with the doc on the 1st September
    Any tips on how to get them to agree to operate on me?
    Feel like they are just trying to push me back further and further for some reason.
    6 weeks on and I’m no better off than the day I did it.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Stu,

I did my right clavicle in back in 2005 (I think) and doing the same thing – admiring the view and not concentrating on where I was going. I didn’t have the op (was advised there was a strong chance of infection – which I was glad to hear cos I’m a chicken) and I was back on the bike in around six weeks, albeit gingerly.

I could show you a pick of my collarbone now, though a pick wont do it justice, but it looks absolutely appalling! Worst ‘step’ you could imagine.

In hindsight I wish Id’ve MTFU and had the op, but you cant go back and to be fair I’m fine with it (it just looks sh1t).

If as you say youre still no nearer mending than the day it happened you seriously need to chase it up.

Good luck!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Broken Collar Bone Question’ is closed to new replies.