Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Brogues on a budget?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Looking for some brogue type shoes for work but on a budget. I’m fed up buying shoes and them lasting 7-9 months as the sole wears on the heel. Anyone recommend any brand or site?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Um. Have you considered getting them re-heeled?

willard

Samuel Windsor.

Allegedly hand made, but relatively cheap and decent quality.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oxfords.

DaRC_L

Are you a gentleman 😆 in which case Oxfords

edit – dammit beaten to it

smatkins1
    Free Member

I often pick mine up from TK Maxx. I’ve bought some very swanky brogues from there for a reasonable price. Very hit and miss depending on your local store though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Damn! Only came to this thread to make the kingsmen reference. Beaten to it twice.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I think some people need to figure out what a brogue actually is. Oxfords can be brogues as can Derbys.

If you are on a real budget and your primary concern is having something that will last then Clarks would be what I would recommend. That and looking after them properly and getting them repaired as Scienceofficer said.

Sam

One oxford, one derby, both brogues…

And Loakes are nice shoes for a reasonable price, depends what you call budget though really.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Brogues on a budget?

or, as i like to call them, Mr Men shoes.

DrJ

Ask David Cameron – he always dresses smartly, but as he’s down wid da kids I’m sure this shoes are cheap.

Albanach
    Free Member

Can’t get them re heeled as they aren’t replaceable heels. Doesn’t have to be brogues necessarily just leather soled smart shoes…Kingsman reference way over my head!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Can’t get them re heeled as they aren’t replaceable heels

I must admit that I’m surprised at this. I’ve never had a shoe that can’t be re heeled. Leather soles aren’t the be all and end all. In fact in winter I personally think they are worse than synthetic ones.

kcal

Hm. Got a pair of brogues many years ago — I think Churchs but could be wrong. Now while they’re not the cheapest pair of shoes at all, and have been resoled, re-heeled loads, they fit like the proverbial glove and I’d be broken to see them go.. Still look the part today IMO.

That was in 1988…

binners
    dooosuk
    Free Member

Cheap shoes worn daily won’t last, so you’re sort of asking for the moon on a stick.

TK Maxx is where you might get lucky.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, cheap shoes are a false economy. I have a pair of 20ish year old Oxfords that are still going strong. Cost around £300 new, but they’re still going.

willard

Gentlemen can wear brogues, but generally only in the country and with tweed. Personally, I find they are an acceptable solution to the ‘business casual’ dress code and will also wear them with jeans and a smart jacket if I want to really be down with the yoof.

nbt

Love my Barker brogues, best money I ever spent.

Try here

brooess
    Free Member

My dad gave me some 5 year-old Loakes about 5 years ago which he didn’t like anymore. I wore them most days, walking to and from the train and tube and, whilst they needed re-heeling and re-soling a few times, they only finally wore out at the back end of last year. For £160 I’d say that’s a bargain – much cheaper than buying cheaper shoes and having them last only a year. More environmentally responsible too.

+1 for avoiding leather soles. One of my replacement pair of Loakes has rubber soles – they’ll last for way longer than the leather soles and just as comfortable.

The cheaper Loakes start c £125 so well worth a look IMO. Also much better fit than cheaper shoes

brooess
    Free Member

Love my Barker brogues, best money I ever spent.

[CFH mode]They need to get their branding straight, on that link you posted they have a pair of Barker shoes called Barker Staines. No-one who aspires to a pair of Barkers will ever admit to having been to Staines![/CFH mode]

DaRC_L

+1 for avoiding leather soles.

Or if you buy leather soles, which I prefer, the first thing you do is take them to get rubber soles added.

So I have some 2 pairs of Hudsons, which I added soles to, that have lasted a good 3 years on rotation depending upon what trousers are worn to work.

PMK2060

I have a pair of Loake Chester Brogues with the rubber (Dainite) sole.

Hard wearing and comfy. Much better than the next brogues that they replaced.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Samuel Windsor if you are on a budget, sometimes as little as £30 a pair. The trick is to buy several pairs and alternate wearing them.

I have one pair of Oxfords that are over 8 years old now, but I doubt they will last much longer as the stiching on the welt is going – they are not as well made as Loakes – you get what you pay for.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Cheap shoes worn daily won’t last, so you’re sort of asking for the moon on a stick.

TK Maxx is where you might get lucky.

TK sell a lot of john whites but they are made in India like a lot of the cheaper grensons and other Northampton brands that like to trade on the ‘made in Britain’ label.
    Having worn a few pairs of these they don’t last, the soles drop in front of the heel and there’s no support inside as the cork bed of a proper Goodyear welt shoe is not thick enough or non-existent.

Now I just have Trickers, expensive but worth every penny. Have 3 pairs on rotation and always use shoe trees.
    I expect to get many years out of them as oldest pair is about 3 years old and not quite ready for a resole.
    If you go for a leather sole then get a Topy thin rubber fitted at a good cobblers.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Ask David Cameron – he always dresses smartly, but as he’s down wid da kids I’m sure this shoes are cheap

That will be Charles Tyrwhitt then where he buys his suits

I can also recommend their shoes as reasonable quality if you pick carefully

Ask Andy Burnham what he suggests to go with his Armani suits…

scandal42
    Free Member

Get on ASOS and look at the clearance shoes or ASOS branded normal price.

NJA

Another vote for Samuel Windsor here, great for work and if you buy two pairs at a time £35 a pair.

They tend to last me about 9 months, and then I buy some new ones as it is cheaper to buy a new pair than to have the soles and heels done.

Mini PSA Clearance ones from £25 on the site at the moment. http://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/shop.cfm/end-of-line/shoes/73/6411

chipster

DaRC_L – Member
    +1 for avoiding leather soles.

Or if you buy leather soles, which I prefer, the first thing you do is take them to get rubber soles added.

The wife bought me a pair of Loakes from Next, they were great… until it rained, then it seemed, they wanted to break some of my bones.
    Thin rubber, as MrSmith suggests above, sorted them out. 18 months later, still good.
    Next Loake brogue

BillMC

Bought my son a lovely pair of brogue boots from the Cheaney factory shop (not seconds) a couple of weeks ago. Dainite sole and beautifully made and welted. £220, a lot less than in their London shop, and my ones are years old showing no signs of wear.

http://www.cheaney.co.uk/collections-c2/country-leisure-collection-c7/cheaney-tweed-wingcap-brogue-country-boot-in-dark-leaf-calf-leather-p117/s1796?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=cheaney-tweed-wingcap-brogue-country-boot-in-dark-leaf-calf-leather-si-size-uk-6-5-f-120220076065&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&wid=1&gclid=CNuGlOypk8sCFdQaGwodq7sIPA

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I used to wear DM (Dr Martin) Brogues in black for work – with a suit – everyday which would last me a year. Pretty comfortable & still pretty cool with the young ‘uns……. For an older geezer.

neilnevill
    Free Member

http://www.gentlemen-prefer-brogues.co.uk/
    Great value. Cheaper than getting shoes resoled… Which is daft.

lambchop
    Free Member

Base ‘Woburn’ brogues. Hard wearing and comfy.

onehundredthidiot

I go with the loakes. Shop near here does seconds. Got a pair at half rrp because there was a scuff in the leather, eventually found it on the heel.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m currently wearing my Crocket Jones, Weybridge.

As it’s highly unlikely I will ever be in the same room as you the OP, I can recommend they purchase a pair of this shoe.

maccruiskeen

I think some people need to figure out what a brogue actually is. Oxfords can be brogues as can Derbys.

Well ‘brogue’ means ‘shoe’ so the definition is pretty broad 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

1. Don’t buy Samuel Windsor, I’ve taken enough pairs apart to know they are one of the shonkiest built shoes available, such poor construction.
    2. Buy to what you can afford, there are lots of manufacturers out there making good shoes at a very reasonable price.
    3. If you really want leather soles go for a double layered with a welt construction, they are heavier and take longer to break in but if you grit the soles in properly you should get a good few years out of them.
    4. Repair them before they are worn out, will cost less and help keep the original shape of the shoe.

It’s Oxford or Gibson style and this is to do with the lacing whether it’s stitched to the vamp or left as two independent flaps.

Brogue is the style of footwear, with the pattern cut into the leather

Cheers

David

joolsburger
    Free Member

I like Loakes, keep the receipt and when they do wear out you can have them refurbished at the factory for £75. Mine have lasted years.

I have a pair of Barbour brogue boots that are standing up to wear very well so can recommend those too.

mucker

Here’s what your after, British handmade shoes from Hoggs of Fife, “fill your boots”.
    Hoggs

kirky72
    Free Member

Depends how you and cool you are, but these are good quality for the money. Not for the shoe snobs as they are cement lasted not Goodyear welted but the price is cheaper than a re soling.

These are from the sale page so may not have your size, many more styles and far trendier ones are available.

https://www.goodwinsmith.co.uk/collections/sale/products/newchurch-black?variant=10980913989

Check the reviews.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Brogues on a budget?’ is closed to new replies.