Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • Another aeroplane thread! Anything from WWI to WWII inclusive this time….
  • CountZero

With that corrugated skin, it couldn’t really be anything else but a Junkers, an F13. Well ahead of its time in 1919, had an enclosed passenger cabin, with seatbelts, first in an aircraft.

😯 Caproni Ca. 60 Transaero. Nine wings, eight Liberty engines, W.T.F?
    More seaplane loveliness:

Supermarine Southampton Mk II, designed by Reginald Mitchell.

CountZero

Curtiss CR-3. Took first two places at the Schneider Trophy at 177.5mph, in the Solent at Cowes in 1923.

Ryan NYP. Better known as Lindberg’s Spirit Of St.Louis

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That F13 photo makes me want to leap in and fly away!

CountZero

Lockheed Vega. Flown by Amelia Earheart solo across the Atlantic and Pacific, and by Wiley Post on the first solo circumnavigation of the world in Winnie Mae

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    That F13 photo makes me want to leap in and fly away!

I know exactly what you mean!

CountZero

Macchi MC.72. Fastest piston-engined seaplane ever built, one crashed killing its pilot, another blew up in mid-air, took a British fuel expert to sort out the supercharged Fiat AS.6 engine, which was two Fiat AS-5’s in tandem on a common crankcase driving a contra-rotating prop. Set a world record of 441mph which has never been beaten.
    I love floatplanes!

I don’t know if this has been featured yet:

Polikarpov I-16. World’s first single-seat, low-wing cantilever monoplane fighter with retractable undercarriage.
    Designer was sent to Stalin’s Gulag, for ‘sabotage’ over alleged slow progress in aircraft development.
    Never let the politicians get involved in aircraft design.

CountZero

Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovic. More built than any other aircraft in history, at least 35,952 built as expendable, not designed to be taken apart or repaired. Fills a pilot with confidence, that.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Knight Twister

homebuilt bipe from around 1932

Lincoln Sport

another homebuilt bipe, mid ’20s I think

Rose Parakeet

and a third homebuilt bipe, from the 30s

ChrisL

I discovered in the holidays that I’m related to this man. First World War flying ace, killed in a flying accident aged 20. I gather he would have been my great uncle (more or less) if he hadn’t died 57 years before I was born.

On a lighter note, last September I went for a flight in this:

As it went for a flight with this:

Thanks to a very generous 40th birthday present from some of my friends. 🙂

On a more pedantic note some of the planes on this thread, while propeller-driven, date from after the Second World War – e.g. the Sea Fury and the Bearcat. Given that, I feel justified in posting a picture of the Republic XF-12 Rainbow:

Klunk
    Free Member

date from after the Second World War

Bearcat first flight …. 21 August 1944
    Sea Fury first flight ….. 21 February 1945

unfortunately…

XF-12 Rainbow 4 February 1946

ChrisL

While the Bearcat became operational during WWII it never saw combat and the Sea Fury didn’t enter service until October ’45, so I’d classify both as postwar aircraft. The same with the Blackburn Firebrand, which entered service in September ’45. Like those aircraft, the Rainbow was developed during WWII and intended for use during that conflict, though it took a while longer to get into the limited service it had.

Defender
    Free Member

How about the Curtiss P40 Warhawk/Tomahawk/Kittyhawk?
    http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0705-main-lg.jpg
    Like the Hurricane overshadowed by latter designs but it was ready to go when the war kicked off.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I’ve loved this thread, fantastic pics of fantastic aircraft, thank you all!
    Though a few missing.. Some of the most important aircraft of the war:

And the othe side

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Another aeroplane thread! Anything from WWI to WWII inclusive this time….’ is closed to new replies.