Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Broadband & consumer rights
  • PrinceJohn

I’m soon to be moving house during my broadband contract is about 6 months in. The place I’m moving to already has broadband hence I no longer need mine. I’ve spoken to them about cancelling & they are going to charge me at least £50 to leave early.
    When I was sold it from Carphone Warehouse I mentioned that I would likely be moving & they didn’t mention anything about early cancellation fees.

I’ve been on to both of them, Sky are unwilling to do anything, & carphone warehouse are waiting until a member of staff returns from leave in 10 days time… despite me raising this a week ago. Feeling a bit powerless & frustrated.

kelron
    Free Member

I guess this isn’t what you want to hear, but you did sign a contract with them which presumably includes cancellation terms.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>It also sounds like you didn’t specifically ask about early cancellation, so you can’t claim it was mis-sold? Moving house mid contract wouldn’t normally be an issue as they’d transfer it to the new address.</span>

johndoh
    Free Member

No hope of a cancellation without charge in those circumstances. Your only hope is if they put up the price of your service whilst under contract as then you are legally entitled to leave the contract without charge.

Cougar

Cancel the broadband at the new gaff and take your existing contract with you?

When I was sold it from Carphone Warehouse I mentioned that I would likely be moving & they didn’t mention anything about early cancellation fees.

Did you say you were moving, or that you’d likely to want a 12 month contract to last for six months?

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW, your question has nothing to do with consumer rights – you simply want to exit a contract early.

PrinceJohn

Given that I told the shop assistant I’d likely be moving in the next 6 months I feel I was sold an unsuitable product.

The get out charge is about £50.00 which is more than I want to pay, but not the end of the world.

kelron
    Free Member

Well did you tell them you’d be moving or you’d be cancelling? The expectation is you take the contract with you when you move normally.

If you did tell them you’d need to cancel you can try pursuing it with the shop.

spooky_b329

Normally when you move you can take your broadband with you, hence no cancellation charges apply.

Presumably you are moving somewhere where the site or new development is tied to one provider and hence you will be limited to using them for the considerable future and not have the choice to shop around… I’d be more concerned about that than a £50 cancellation charge!

johndoh
    Free Member

Given that I told the shop assistant I’d likely be moving in the next 6 months I feel I was sold an unsuitable product.

But did you specifically say you wouldn’t need the service in six months and therefore needed a product that you could cancel without charge? Or did you assume that your saying you were moving should give enough information to the shop assistant about what you actually required?

bedmaker

I’d put it down to part of the moving house costs and move on.  You’ll forget it soon enough.

Spend hours on the phone and email and you’l’ want to murder someone.  It’s just not worth it imo.

mattyfez

Unless your moving into a share, or some sort of all inclusive rental, there is no reason you need to take on the new broadband scenario, you have no contract with whoever it is, so you can just get your existing contract transfered to the new place.

I can’t see you wriggling out of your current contract without some sort of early termination fee.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Broadband & consumer rights’ is closed to new replies.