Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • British sprinter drug test
  • theotherjonv

I know B test to be done, but they don’t often come back different do they?

If true he loses his medal but also the rest of the 4×100 team too; that’s not going to be an easy conversation…..

https://www.skysports.com/olympics/news/29175/12379870/olympic-games-cj-ujah-silver-medallist-for-gb-in-4x100m-relay-handed-provisional-anti-doping-suspension

Kryton57

Yes I’d be beyond furious as another member of that team. But let’s hope it’s just the individual idiot eh, we don’t want a scandal in British athletics.

Trimix
    Free Member

Top athletes never cheat, they train so hard they can beat all those that do cheat !

masterdabber
    Free Member

A bit like the Dwaine Chambers doping incident.

I can’t help but wonder, if this is upheld after further testing of B Sample, will the remaining three relay members have grounds to sue Ujah for loss of earnings.

Because if they lose their medals they will lose financially, perhaps not as much as if they had won Gold but they were potentially quite marketable.

madeupname
    Free Member

Italian sprinter takes a break

Surprise 100m champion Lamont Marcell Jacobs drops out of ~Testing ~ I mean competition til next year…

Wonder if the 4x100gold will be on the move as well as the silver?

TiRed

Early days at the moment. A positive test might be an adverse analytical finding that needs explanation. Or he may have given a sky high result for a banned steroid that will be replicated in the B sample (they seldom disagree by more than 5%). Note the drug and level have not been reported.

Needless to say this field is one of my hobbies and I’ve already provided a defence for one former Olympic and world champion athlete this year.

theotherjonv

Level, no but the drugs were named

The news was confirmed by the Athletics Integrity Unit, which said a test on Ujah in Tokyo had shown the “presence/use of a prohibited substance (ostarine and S-23)”

onehundredthidiot

The lad who ran the last leg and was so upset. Is going to batter him senseless if he loses his silver.

plus-one

Doping in sports !! Who’d have guessed 🙁

cookeaa

ostarine and S-23

So a quick googling yields:

What are Ostarine and S-23?
    The Times13 Aug 2021
    They are prohibited anabolic agents known as known as selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) often used by bodybuilders for muscle-building. The UK Anti-Doping Agency website makes it clear Ostarine, also known as Enbosarm, is a prohibited substance that has “a similar effect to testosterone”. The website states: “Dietary supplements containing Ostarine typically claim to promote muscle building. Unscrupulous manufacturers may market such products as ‘legal steroids’.” They were added to Wada’s banned list in 2008 and according to the US AntiDoping Agency have been found in many dietary supplements.

thepurist

have been found in many dietary supplements.

Anyone for Ginseng tea?

DezB
    Free Member

Should’ve shared with his teammates. Would’ve got gold then

MSP

I think it is rather misleading to give the impression manufactures are adding these substances to supplements to increase their effectiveness. They are more expensive than the products they are claimed to be added to, there would be no profit in doing so. They are sold as they are at a much more premium price than “normal” supplements, at least in the states I don’t think you can get them legally in UK/Europe.

ferrals
    Free Member

Feel so gutted for the other three (assuming they are clean).

paton
    Free Member

Dorian Yates has a story about sprinting and the Olympics
    at about 3:00 in

paton
    Free Member

Why would an Olympic athlete be on such a poor diet that they need supplements?

scud
    Free Member

SARMS were rearing their head towards the end of my rugby career, not as effective as anabolic steroids but easy to buy in UK and in tablet or liquid form, so no injections. I got tired in the scrum of watching younger guys finish a season one size, then you’d play against them the next season and they’d gained 15kg of muscle and a bad attitude.

This was interesting reading if you believe these things aren’t widely used, SARMS were found in far greater quantities than coke or MDMA in the fatbergs in London sewers (wouldn’t want that job!)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/24/why-there-are-more-gym-supplements-in-a-london-fatberg-than-cocaine-and-mdma

cookeaa

will the remaining three relay members have grounds to sue Ujah for loss of earnings.

Because if they lose their medals they will lose financially, perhaps not as much as if they had won Gold but they were potentially quite marketable.

I’d really the crux of it, in an individual event you’ve let your country (for whatever that’s worth) and yourself down, in a team event you’ve potentially knacked other people’s sponsorship deals…

Perhaps this is indicative of greater problems within UK sport, especially athletics(?) In that Olympic performances and medal tables are now what drives the whole machine, how much gold/silver/bronze did we score for our lottery funding?

And in turn the financial/career incentives to juice for that once every four years extra bit of exposure are sadly now worth the risk of being caught…

scud
    Free Member

It seems daft that you would take something so easily tested for knowing you are going to the Olympics where you will definitely be tested?

Do you think that there has been an increase in usage maybe because of lockdown and people being tested a lot less frequently outside of competition during that period?

kerley
    Free Member

It seems daft that you would take something so easily tested for knowing you are going to the Olympics where you will definitely be tested?

May have got the timing wrong, i.e stopped using it 6 months ago so thought it would be clear but the test picked it up. Maybe his half life calculations were wrong.

scotroutes

Brainpower isn’t a requirement for sprinting.

In any case, a quick look around at recent threads on STW shows that there are enough folk out there who think they know more than the experts and/or the general public. It’s not hard to imagine that some athletes would just believe they were too clever to be caught.

theotherjonv

Not guilty yet, let’s remember.

At the same time – I kind of understand the doper mentality. Without, you’re bloody quick, maybe the third fastest in the country and 18th fastest in the world. WGAS honestly? Who came 7th when Bolt won the Olympic 100m? No-one knows or cares, TBH

With…..if you can get away with it……

Sure, the likelihood of being caught has to be massive. But if your whole life, whole sense of self worth comes from being faster than anyone else in your class/school/county/age group/etc., to be told you no longer are must be devastating.

TiRed

Why would an Olympic athlete be on such a poor diet that they need supplements?

Every professional athlete will be taking legal supplements. Normally they use their own special supply that is rigorously tested (at huge expense) for absence of contaminants. And contaminants are very common. Ostarine is present in supplements. There is even a list where you can cross reference a product (need a login) Testing positive for multiple SARM agents at once is very unusual. Levels will matter, as will time since previous negative test. I’m betting on contamination of an untested supplement. It is up to the athlete to provide a satisfactory explanation.

https://www.usada.org/athletes/substances/supplement-411/supplement-411-faqs/

Maybe his half life calculations were wrong.

Half-life of ostarine is 24h, and S23 is about 12h. Normally we say five half-lives for elimination, but detection levels are more sensitive than that.

In any case, a quick look around at recent threads on STW shows that there are enough folk out there who think they know more than the experts and/or the general public.

Indeed. 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Went to a very interesting Dorian Yates seminar after he won Mr Olympia, very honest about his own use

dyna-ti

Oh sprinter drug test… I thought it said something else…

😯 😯

Stainypants

There was a great episode of science of sport podcast from a couple of years ago that goes into the level of doping still going on at the Olympics. In an anonymous survey I think 40% admitted to doping.

Podcast

It’s all scheduled away from competition and the since you’ve got three shots with out of competition testing you just don’t answer the door. So you’d have to messed up to get caught or taken something inadvertently as Tired said.

footflaps

East European Weight lifters regularly get busted taking 1st Anabolic Steroids which have a long half life so easier to test for….

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/olympics-12-athletes-sanctioned-for-positive-drug-tests-including-nine-weightlifters/L4O3IHX5XILGETPXMJTO6DI4KA/

cashback

The same podcast as mentioned above has done a recent Olympic special where he predicted massive reductions in lots of records as there has effectively been no worldwide testing for 18 months.
    So it is probably not the first positive test to come back.

Flaperon

This was interesting reading if you believe these things aren’t widely used, SARMS were found in far greater quantities than coke or MDMA in the fatbergs in London sewers (wouldn’t want that job!)

Fortunately the plasticisers that come from plastic cups and bottles mimic oestrogen, so it should cancel out the steroids…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘British sprinter drug test’ is closed to new replies.