Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bristol bike theft on BBC news now
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Seems like no-one cares if bikes are stolen 🙁

cheers_drive

No wonder people drive everywhere. Shame it didn’t highlight the high value targeted thefts from homes.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Was it really a 999 crime? Would you have called 999 for that?

Houns

If I saw it in progress then yes, that was the point of the feature

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF…999 is for life threatening situations only?

P20
    oldgit
    Free Member

If I’m honest. I wouldn’t have known what number to call. I’d never have rang 999. There is another number isn’t there?

When I was involved in that hit and run my local station was closed. So the next station was called and we were told to ring back the next day when they were open. So a bike getting nicked!

boxfish
    Free Member

There is another number isn’t there?

nickjb
    Free Member

The police seem to think calling 999 would be a good idea:

See bike crime? Call 999!

wordnumb
    Free Member

This sends a strong message to tv-watching bike thieves:

If challenged while stealing a bike tell them you’re an undercover PCSO researching how many people try to stop people pinching bikes, and that they are a model citizen, well done that’s exactly what they should have done in a real bike-stealing situation. And then ride off on the stolen bike.

stumpy01

wordnumb, people could just ask them for id if they came up with that excuse.
    Or call 999 or 101 anyway. If they are undercover, then no harm done.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I wonder if there would have been different results if the thief hedn’t been a well(ish) spoken white boy, albeit with a beard.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Stumpy – rather churlish to doubt a man’s identity when he’s just told you that you are a model citizen.

The only answer to bike crime is to leave trap-bikes with weak locks and cages suspended above, like in the popular board game ‘mouse trap’. Vote me for police commishoner gordon.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Exploding, shrapnel-packed saddles that only the owner can key-disable.

bluebird
    Free Member

I saw it too, it was interesting but I don’t think it was the most scientific of tests. Would a thief really be that brazen? I suspect a thief would arouse far more suspicion by trying not to be noticed and looking shifty. He just looked like he’d lost his keys and was getting his bike free. Still surprising no one asked if he’d lost his lock keys.

clubber
    Free Member

I like Woppit’s suggestion for the exploding saddle – like a Judge Dredd Lawgiver which explodes unless it’s a Judge using it 🙂

(26 and 27)

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I haven’t watched the video yet, but when the scrotes nicked my bike, i very definitely called 999 and the 5-0 very defintely treated it as a “proper” crime

scrumfled
    Free Member

Shit isnt it?

Then again, I’d imagine your average joe is thinking “Will you actually do anything mr plod, or am i just wasting my time”. These stunts dont really do much to improve the perception that the police really cant be arsed.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And then there is this…

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/new-initiative-to-cut-down-on-cycle-thefts-launched-1-4450896

I imagine that many innocent Sussex cyclists are going to be stopped and shaken down.

woody74

If there is a crime going on big or small then call 999. Done it a few times and have never been told I was in the wrong. Remember we are paying for this service. Its not just some freebee we are lucky to get.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

999 is for life threatening emergencies and serious crimes in progress only. I think that bike theft is far further down the pecking order.

nickjb
    Free Member

999 is for life threatening emergencies and serious crimes in progress only. I think that bike theft is far further down the pecking order.

Did you see the link above, which is a force-wide memo:See bike crime? Call 999!

I think the whole point of this campaign is to highlight that you should call 999.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Theft is a serious crime so if you want a quick response 999 is the number to call. It annoys me to think that theft should be treated as just an inconvenience in relation to other more serious crimes, after all its against the law to steal.

ransos
    Free Member

I think the whole point of this campaign is to highlight that you should call 999.

That’s fine if the police intend to do something about it…

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s fine if the police intend to do something about it…

Good point. I think they do, here in Bristol. I hope this campaign is a sign that they are planning to do more, too.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

They defintely seem to take it seriously here in Bristol, at least the front-line do.

ransos
    Free Member

Good point. I think they do, here in Bristol. I hope this campaign is a sign that they are planning to do more, too.

I hope so too. I haven’t been at all impressed up to now, tbh.

bland

Are you for real, you wouldnt dial 999.

Do you think that one person is sat by the phone incase a life threatning call comes in and you may take up their time!

Its a bloody massive call centre split between 4 services and initial call handlers. Its a public service, they employ as many peolpe as it requires to keep on top of the call volume – hoax calls mean more employment, not longer responses for the fire brigade to rescue a cat.

Always report crimes of any size otherwise the police think they are doing a good job as their stats look better at the end of the month!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bristol bike theft on BBC news now’ is closed to new replies.