Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Brink or Westfalia Towbar
  • benz
    Free Member

Mrs B and B Jnr have somehow got involved in carriage driving with our horse and carriage owning neighbour.

Transport of horses easy due to our neighbours pick-up and horsebox. Transport of the carriage less easy.

So, Mrs B is suggesting that we get a towbar fitted to her car – a BMW X1 2.0D xdrive (whatever that is…).

Looking online, I can get a detachable (tidier when not being used) from either Brink or Westfalia for about £200. Fitting won’t be an issue as her car already had electrics installed when we bought it 2nd hand (plus they work).

So, any difference between the Brink and Westfalia – i.e. any STW preference of one v the other?

Thanks.

wwaswas

I’ve had both, there’s not much in it.

re: electrics – unless they’ve literally dropped the old 13 pin plug in the battery compartment I’d make sure you have a’proper’ electrics, not bypass – and you’ll likely need a new ‘last metre set of wires witht he appropriate connector on it.

benz
    Free Member

The electrics are a drop-down 13 pin under the rear bumper, all BMW marked.

Tested with a Thule towbar mounted bikerack (with pin adapter) with no issues.

jam-bo

are you sure there there isnt a removable towball bar fitted already then?

not sure why you’d go to the bother of fitting electrics and no towbar.

granny_ring

Towing weight is less with a detachable tow bar than a fixed one so you need to check what gross weight you will towing.
    Pretty sure gros max weight my Golf Westfalia detachable is 1.8 tonnes?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Brink or Westfalia Towbar’ is closed to new replies.