Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 265 total)
  • Bringing back the death penalty..
  • Three_Fish
    Free Member

mate, we all have a right to a (sic) opinion.

Everyone? Without exception?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Has anyone seen figures on how many innocent people have been executed in the USA as a percentage of the total killed?

ton

Teej, good old fashioned revenge would suffice for me.

3fish……..no mate, once sentenced you lose all your rights.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

An “eye for an eye”; yes?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

no mate, once sentenced you lose all your rights.

But prior to that, everyone has the right to an opinion?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Has anyone seen figures on how many innocent people have been executed in the USA as a percentage of the total killed?

Nope, seeing as many of the executed are poor, uneducated, under-represented members of ethnic minorities (mostly black of course), society tends to let the executed ones just fall off the side of the plane where someone might care about what’s happened to them.

Have you?

Are you the one that thinks America has a really good judicial and punitive system? I can’t really be arsed reading back through the reams of shit ilmg has spouted. So, go on, is it you BH?

ton

justice mate, call it what you like.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Law of the jungle for you ton eh? Would you pull the lever ton? Apply the hangman’s knot? Administer the injection? Well, would you? I know you’re an all round tough guy, but I wonder where you draw the line on how much of the punishment you’d administer yourself.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d wonder more if you’d pull the lever on your son if he’d been irefutably convicted of capital crime.

this thread reminds me of being at comp trying to explain things to the really thick kids.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Not me when it comes to the US justice system, my only mistake was saying about a few slipping through the net.

I ask about figures as it seems most on here have little faith in the UK system.

I do like a tough prison though.

ton

clubber, if you had been kidnapped as a child, then raped by a gang of men, then killed and discarded like a piece of litter, do you think your dad would want the murderers dead?

and if he had wanted them dead, would he be a lesser/worse/THICK man?

clubber
    Free Member

my earlier reply explained my view on that exact point. As it goes, that bit wasn’t the part I was suggesting was thick.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Well I agree with the OP up to a point , although it is difficult to take seriously somebody with such a poor grasp of the language . If you are going to put somebody in prison for the rest of their life then it’s a better and cheaper solution to humanely “remove them from society” . There may be mistakes made but I bet if you do a count up there are more innocent people murdered by murderers who have been released from prison than there are people who would’ve been wrongly executed .
    Doing away with capital punishment and trying to rehabilitate offenders is IMO an experiment that has not worked and at some point in the future things will go full circle.

ton

come on mate answer that bit then.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth – Member

I do like a tough prison though.

Even though its proven to be counterproductive? ie to increase reoffending rates.

clubber
    Free Member

mind you my dad wouldn’t have. bloody hippy liberal 😉

ton

😆

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It’s only counter productive if you release them

clubber
    Free Member

ton – my previous reply

I’ d quite possibly want the guilty party dead at
    least sometimes. In the mean time.in order to
    have what is IMO a safer, better society I’ d
    rather have that option taken away. Emotive
    responses are rarely or even never the best
    ones..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth – Member

It’s only counter productive if you release them

so the only sentence is life with a whole life tariff? Nothing else for any crime?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

OP 5 minutes ago –

STW towers right about now –

ton

but is proving not to be a better society mate.

clubber
    Free Member

better than what? Society’s problems are.not all.down to our sentencing.options for.the.most extreme cases.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

So TJ, tell me about your productive prison system, the one that satisfy Mail readers like myself and more liberal types

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There may be mistakes made but I bet if you do a count up there are more innocent people murdered by murderers who have been released from prison than there are people who would’ve been wrongly executed .

Birmingham 6, guildford 4.Stephen Downing, Stefa Kizko. thats 12. thats just the famous ones I know ab out.

Teh only data on released murders killing I can find easily is from the daily wail – 3 deaths.

Doing away with capital punishment and trying to rehabilitate offenders is IMO an experiment that has not worked and at some point in the future things will go full circle.

rubbish. Erwin James – a bad lad a murderer who is now a useful menber of society. Successfully rehabilitated by the system. One of a great many. Rehabilitation works. The problem is we don’t do enough of it.

What too many of you fail to remember is that a life sentence is that – life. You are never freed only released on license and subject to supervision and control the rest of your life. Subject to recall to prison on the flimsiest of pretexts and often are

You are only released on license one your “tariff” is completed and once a parole board has decided you are no longer a danger.

ton

i big part of a society going wrong is down to crime, one of the reason’s crime grows is because the punishment is too weak/poor.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ben – its not possible to satisfy the Daily Wail types with a system that actually works. We need to educate the Daily wailers as much as the criminals. They are a significant part of the problem.

there was unit in Scotland for the really bad young men based around rehabilitation. The daily wail tendency found out about it and got it closed down despite the fact it was getting good results. More crime will occur as result.

http://news.scotsman.com/airborneinitiative/Closure-of-rehabilitation-unit-forces.2502723.jp

Rehabilition is never going to play well with the right wing press. it leads to all those lovely headlines – ” holidays for cons” etc.

Its a great shame because taking steps to rehabilitate people will have a far greater effect than locking them up aimlessly for years.

Our present system has failed, its expensive and does no good at all. We lock more people up for longer than other comparable countries.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ton – Member

i big part of a society going wrong is down to crime, one of the reason’s crime grows is because the punishment is too weak/poor.

actully Ton crime is low and has been falling for years.

Edric64
    Free Member

Can we have the death penalty for murders that are witnessed then ? Where there is no dispute? Preferably by somthing long slow and painful?

BoardinBob

Murder rate info for the US for the past few years

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state

States with the death penalty = 5.6485042735 murders per 100,000 residents

States without the death penalty = 3.2857142857 murders per 100,000 residents

PJM1974
    Free Member

Given that we have a justice system that hasn’t exactly proved to be infallible, I don’t support the death penalty. Not only that, if it were to be applied to someone who was subsequently proved innocent, or that the conviction was proved to be unsafe, then the compensation payments to the family would be considerable.

Any of you feel comfortable enough to sit on a jury to decide someone’s fate? I don’t.

There are a lot of nasty crimes that have been committed, but I don’t see what purpose the death penalty serves other than to provide a symbolic revenge. I do agree that sentencing is far too soft, but killing convicts is something we repealed in 1998 and I don’t agree with assertions that we’re a worse society for it.

Edric64
    Free Member

A swift hanging would save a fortune in keeping them locked up for years .We could apply the death penalty retrospectively and empty prisons in a day or two

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member
    I do agree that sentencing is far too soft,

Why? We lock more people up for longer times than other comparable countries.

What evidence do you have for your statement?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn1page1.stm
    http://www.civitas.org.uk/data/prisonPopEU2007.htm

IanMunro
    Free Member

I saw Edric 64 murder a little child, and I’m not lying.
    Someone should hang him.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

TJ, thanks for your informative response, food for thought, I will stop trolling on this subject and get back to my Mail on Sunday supplements

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

[/]We could apply the death penalty retrospectively and empty prisons in a day or two[/i]

Er, excuse me but my job’s already looking iffy. Don’t go emptying prisons!

I do actually agree with the death penalty, but not on a ‘revenge/eye for an eye’ system, purely to purge the country of some true vermin that actually breed & have no intention of being rehabilitated or will probably never be any benefit to society.

ton

essel……………that’s wakefield shut then… 😆

infact, i think that they still have the gallows house in wakefield.

Cougar

i want a sociaty where my kids/gandkids are safe, where my wife is safe.

I don’t believe that ‘society’ is any more dangerous now than it ever was; we’re just better at reporting it. Or at least, by ‘better’ I suppose I mean ‘more enthusiastic.’

since the death penaly/capital punishment was abolished murder rates have risen.

[Citation needed]

maybe very occasionally mistakes will be made, but we can learn from them and not make them again in the future

So it’s ok to murder a few innocent people along the way, so that we can exact revenge on the guilty ones? Nice.

That’s what it is, incidentally; it’s not a punishment or a deterrent, it’s revenge, pure and simple.

2) how do you differentiate between different degrees of child killing to decide who gets a death sentence?

“if it was sexual in nature!”

Just so we’re clear, you’re saying that it’s ok to kill kids so long as you don’t bum them first? (Or, presumably, afterwards?)

3) do you accept that miscarriages will happen and thus would you be content for your son to be executed for a crime he id not commit?

“i aim would be to crate a system that meant that could not happen,”

Right. You realise we’re discussing the real world here, yes, not the cloud cuckoo land you have taking up space between your ears? Why not aim to create a system where there’s no crime and everyone just gets along, that’d be even better!

do you think your dad would want the murderers dead?

and

answer me honestly……..would you want him to die.

Of course he would. But that does not make it right. There are plenty of things that people want to do but aren’t acceptable in a civilised society. You can justify rape using the same straw man argument; it’s not acceptable to see a cute girl in the street and forcibly go out for a bike ride, even if I really really want to. Was it buy one, get one free on stupid pills this morning or something?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Twoundred! 😀

actully Ton crime is low and has been falling for years.

What is ‘Ton crime’? Being a poor internet troll? Posting obscene videos of two grown men wrestling in their underpants? Cos the latter definitely deserves a spell in clink. No need for that kind of ‘orribleness at all. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘Bringing back the death penalty..’ is closed to new replies.